01 Nov, 2013, Zeno wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
I'm about to implement MSSP, what sites should I review to make sure they're all pulling my MSSP data?
01 Nov, 2013, Viriato wrote in the 2nd comment:
Hello.
To my knowledge, only two:
MUD stats and TinTin MUD crawler.
TinTin's is the more detailed, but last refresh was 28 July. MUD stats updates have much shorter delays, but doesn't explicit entire MSSP info.
01 Nov, 2013, Zeno wrote in the 3rd comment:
(I think MudBytes uses MSSP too)

Hmm, who owns MUD Stats?
01 Nov, 2013, Davion wrote in the 4th comment:
Zeno said:

We do! It only scrapes periodically (when I get around to running the script :P) for now. If ya need to test stuff shoot me a PM when you guys are all setup and I'll run the scrape. Takes a bit to run but it'll update on the live site.
02 Nov, 2013, Hades_Kane wrote in the 5th comment:
Zeno said:

Hmm, who owns MUD Stats?

Not sure, but in addition to submitting your listing, also send him an email and you'll be in the crawler about a month or two later based on my experience. Slow, but eventual.
08 Nov, 2013, Zeno wrote in the 6th comment:
Hmm, I'm not feeling a huge drive to implement it if there's only those sites. I may still give it a shot, but I was hoping it's used more.
09 Nov, 2013, quixadhal wrote in the 7th comment:
The data you can submit is…. pigeonholed?

That is, your MUD has to be placed into a single pre-existing category, and then it can have multiple sub-categories (but they're only descended from that main category)?

Also, other data like number of players logged in is not well defined (IE: it can be a point-in-time snapshot, or an average, or just some made-up number you report… and there's no distinction between active players and idle admins).

The idea is great. The implementation needs work, IMO.
09 Nov, 2013, KaVir wrote in the 8th comment:
Zeno said:
Hmm, I'm not feeling a huge drive to implement it if there's only those sites. I may still give it a shot, but I was hoping it's used more.

There are at least 4 public snippets that include MSSP, and 3 of them add a load of additional features as well (for example mine also includes TTYPE, NAWS, MSDP, ATCP, MSP, MXP, UTF-8 (CHARSET) and xterm 256 colours).

Even if you'd prefer to implement your own solution, the snippets could make a useful reference. MSSP is definitely one of the easier protocols to implement, so it's a good place to start (although it's going to be a fairly big project to implement all the other protocols from scratch as well).

quixadhal said:
The data you can submit is…. pigeonholed?

The same as many mud listing sites (such as TMC and TMS). If you want a decent search option, you need reliable search criteria.

quixadhal said:
Also, other data like number of players logged in is not well defined (IE: it can be a point-in-time snapshot, or an average, or just some made-up number you report…

The specification clearly states "Current number of logged in players". Yes, people can lie, like Locke does on his mud - but mud listing sites have exactly the same problem. The difference is that mud listing sites only offer an approximate range, the mud owner has to manually update the value if it changes, and if they lie it can be difficult to prove (they can just claim you caught them off-peak, or during a bad week).

quixadhal said:
and there's no distinction between active players and idle admins).

Such a distinction would be too vague to be reliably and consistently enforced across muds.
17 Nov, 2013, Scandum wrote in the 9th comment:
In theory it's possible for a menu-driven MUD client to use MSSP to automatically set up a MUD profile.

The main problem is that the bigger clients have shown a disinterest in MSSP, probably because the commercial MUDs realize it will sooner or later undermine their monopolies, and zMud makes about $4000 a year from IRE alone.

As to the protocol, I am planning to do some more work on the categorization issue at one point. If my idea works this would significantly revolutionize MUD categorization, as the current mechanism used is crude and unsophisticated.

MSSP is supported by over 100 MUDs so it's really a matter of 1) the creation of a site that fully utilizes MSSP 2) an effort to create a solid categorization system 3) an effort to get MUDs to want to fix their categorization.

If 1 and 2 are accomplished the only thing needed would be for the site to become popular enough for MUDs to want to fix up their MSSP entry.
18 Nov, 2013, Runter wrote in the 10th comment:
At that rate Zugg will be making mud-millyuns in the next 250 years. Assuming he doesn't pay taxes on that windfall.
0.0/10