12 Dec, 2012, plamzi wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Sneak preview of the new BedlamOS HTTP5 (Flash-free) web app running in full-screen Firefox 17 @ 2560x1600 resolution.

12 Dec, 2012, Idealiad wrote in the 2nd comment:
Nice!

That resolution is more than double what I run, I need to get out of the dark ages :D.
14 Dec, 2012, donky wrote in the 3rd comment:
This is great work. I wish I currently had the HTML5 skills, or the less other active projects, to make something similar myself.

What's your plan going forward for the view of the game data? Presumably the "Bedlam:5000" window on the upper left, contains all "in-game" messages, with "out of game" in the window accompanying it to the right showing tells. Do you plan to extract combat messages and other types of purposed messages from the "in-game" messages, and show the data in other ways, perhaps visualised? Maybe RPG inspired - where you see a list of hostile entities in a target bar, for combat purposed messages in particular? Writing this, I wonder about the cost to the text-based benefits along the lines of the sentiment of the "viewer applies own imagination to interpret text description", when the visualisation approach is taken.
14 Dec, 2012, plamzi wrote in the 4th comment:
donky said:
What's your plan going forward for the view of the game data? Presumably the "Bedlam:5000" window on the upper left, contains all "in-game" messages, with "out of game" in the window accompanying it to the right showing tells. Do you plan to extract combat messages and other types of purposed messages from the "in-game" messages, and show the data in other ways, perhaps visualised? Maybe RPG inspired - where you see a list of hostile entities in a target bar, for combat purposed messages in particular? Writing this, I wonder about the cost to the text-based benefits along the lines of the sentiment of the "viewer applies own imagination to interpret text description", when the visualisation approach is taken.

Next up is a group status module, showcasing some of our new character and NPC follower art. After that, I'm going to start adding entirely visual modules, the main one modeled after the iOS app.

I'm not going to mess with the main text window–that's for veterans. But there will be a visual alternative to that window, displaying the room, mobs, and objects, and letting people do almost everything room-action-wise via drags, drops, and clicks. There will also be a separate inventory management module.

Basically, I want this to be a fully customizable experience where I can choose to pre-load modules 1, 3, 6, 7 at such and such position, and have a casual gamer Facebook app with little to no text. Then, for advanced users, I can load the main text window in a full-screen space, let them toggle any other modules they please, then save the modules and their positions to their preferences (server-side).

Both the world map and the auto-map will be hooked to in-game movement commands so that people can double-click on a location to move there. Zone-to-zone movement will make use of our new waypoints system and there will be a new command to let people run 'mini-speedwalks' within areas.

And yes, there will be a built-in audio player with an original game music soundtrack :)

Anyway, lots of plans, though this is not my primary project at the moment.
21 Dec, 2012, plamzi wrote in the 5th comment:
Sneak preview of the group module.

21 Dec, 2012, Kjwah wrote in the 6th comment:
That's really starting to shape up nicely, good work! :D
25 Jan, 2013, Telgar wrote in the 7th comment:
This looks very cool. Mostly I am curious how you and other folks who implement planar maps deal with non-commutative room exits. Do you force a global coordinate system or just elide collisions when rendering, or skip map rendering entirely in "maze zones?"
25 Jan, 2013, plamzi wrote in the 8th comment:
Telgar said:
This looks very cool. Mostly I am curious how you and other folks who implement planar maps deal with non-commutative room exits. Do you force a global coordinate system or just elide collisions when rendering, or skip map rendering entirely in "maze zones?"

I take a pragmatic/utilitarian approach. If you look closely at the automap, you can see that it handles some types of collision. Stuff like rooms circling back into themselves or rooms cross-linking to far-away rooms is not rendered. I could render it but I think the point of an automap is to help, not to boggle.

Eventually, I'm going to get rid of all illogical links in travel areas, but will keep any mazes in higher-end areas. The automap will continue to work everywhere, but will follow the "line-of-sight/don't boggle" rules that I've made up :)
08 Mar, 2013, Nathan wrote in the 9th comment:
Look a nascent graphical MMO… Just implement a visualization system in 3D and you're good to go…
13 Mar, 2013, salindor wrote in the 10th comment:
This is really cool, I am kind of following your path with my own mud though I am not nearly as far along as you are (i kind of took a detour and wrote my own webserver)– actually mine may as well be just called a webserver because I can only chat in it right now…
29 May, 2013, duwnel wrote in the 11th comment:
First off, pure awesomeness. Love the use of full screen and what appears to be draggable windows. Super clean.

Just curious, but why the focus on "flash free"? I can understand giving priority to newer protocols (websocket, etc.), but I'm curious what's so bad about flash support for now? The recommended HTML5 compliance completion date is still a year and a half away at this point.
29 May, 2013, plamzi wrote in the 12th comment:
duwnel said:
First off, pure awesomeness. Love the use of full screen and what appears to be draggable windows. Super clean.

Just curious, but why the focus on "flash free"? I can understand giving priority to newer protocols (websocket, etc.), but I'm curious what's so bad about flash support for now? The recommended HTML5 compliance completion date is still a year and a half away at this point.

Thanks for the kind words. On this occasion, I've updated the screenshot in the OP to show some new modules.

The windows are indeed draggable, and most of them are resizable as well. There's also a lot of animated and CSS3 and audio stuff going on, which is why a modern browser is pretty much required. Which, in turn, is why websocket support is almost guaranteed and fallbacks to Flash seem like an unnecessary complication.

The "flash free" label, at the time I started this thread, was just meant to showcase what you can do without Flash. But it's actually important for tablet users and for experienced mudders who assume that a web app can't match a native app in terms of responsiveness and flexibility. This assumption is increasingly wrong.

We already have a compact Web GUI that relies on Flash for sockets–we'll be falling back to that one when an older browser is detected. Its responsiveness is not good enough for experienced mudders, and it's cramped to fit on a typical Facebook app page. The new UI is being built to cater to advanced users, but also in a modular/configurable fashion so that one of its "skins" can replace the casual GUI one day.
29 May, 2013, duwnel wrote in the 13th comment:
Fascinating! Personally, I love CSS3 and HTML5, and really love how far web development has come. Keep up the good work; it's really looking cool.
01 May, 2014, plamzi wrote in the 14th comment:
Just wanted to show off real quick. Today, I set up an Eclipse Orion server and a Portal app module that basically gives us a sandboxed and super easy-to-use developer environment. The coding UI shows the syslog, which also captures the output from compile attempts and gdb backtraces.

It takes about 5 min. to set up a new coder and reveal only the files they need to get started. That way, if they decide to just walk away, at least they haven't wasted much of my time.

If anyone is interested in how I set this up, I can share some specifics.

01 May, 2014, Skol wrote in the 15th comment:
Plamen, amazing stuff man, never stop :)
- Dave.
01 May, 2014, Odoth wrote in the 16th comment:
I'm struggling to figure out how to add C syntax highlighting for Orion. Any tips?
01 May, 2014, plamzi wrote in the 17th comment:
Odoth said:
I'm struggling to figure out how to add C syntax highlighting for Orion. Any tips?

https://orion-codemirror.googlecode.com/...

Easy to install but it seems to stop working sometimes, at least in FF, and only starts working again if you reload the page.
01 May, 2014, Odoth wrote in the 18th comment:
plamzi said:
Odoth said:

https://orion-codemirror.googlecode.com/...

Easy to install but it seems to stop working sometimes, at least in FF, and only starts working again if you reload the page.

Great, thanks!
0.0/18