30 Mar, 2015, Tijer wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Was wondering if anyone had any advice, earlier last night a user of my server lost link and since then has been unable to re-connect, i use the csf firewall and have looked absolutely everywhere to see if his IP has been blocked, but have had no luck whatsoever, user is able to connect to other muds/servers so it doesnt look like its a local issue.
When he tries to view my website he also gets a page unavailable screen.

Anyone have any ideas where i could look for his IP?

Any help would be appreciated..

Thanks in advance…
30 Mar, 2015, Pymeus wrote in the 2nd comment:
Start by asking for output from ping and traceroute to your server, and compare with your own ping/traceroute from the server back to the user's IP. Ideally, you'll at least gain a pretty clear picture of *where* the break is happening.

If not, and you can coordinate sufficiently with the user, run a packet sniffer as they're trying to connect to rule out things like persistent packet corruption.
30 Mar, 2015, Tijer wrote in the 3rd comment:
well strangely its not sorted its self.. so im thinking some kind of routing issue between their isp and the server…
30 Mar, 2015, tingonic wrote in the 4th comment:
Coordinate with your user - get their I.P. then have them attempt to connect to your website. Check your server's access & error logs, and see what it says about the connection attempt. The fact that they had a sudden drop-off from both server & MUD port makes me think a possible blacklist on their end? Though it could be a lot of things. The connection log from your end of things might shine some truth on the what and why.
31 Mar, 2015, Nathan wrote in the 5th comment:
For windows, 'ipconfig /all' in the command prompt will give you lots IP information (you do have to figure out which of the devices is your ethernet or wifi though. '/?' is the windows equivalent of '–help'.

Does he use an ip address or a hostname to connect to your server? If an ip address, then there's probably an issue on his end or in the middle. If a hostname he might have some kind of dns issue or maybe your dns record is funky. Do you know where you are, respectively, in the world. Maybe the ISP instituted a country-wide IP range block or something.

Is your game accessible through http://www.mudportal.com? There are probably other means for your player to keep playing for now.
31 Mar, 2015, Tijer wrote in the 6th comment:
like i said strangely they were able to connect the following day, i checked everything out, and they could use mudportal.. just couldnt connect directly to server. So must have been some routing issue from their ISP..
31 Mar, 2015, Nathan wrote in the 7th comment:
Tijer said:
like i said strangely they were able to connect the following day, i checked everything out, and they could use mudportal.. just couldnt connect directly to server. So must have been some routing issue from their ISP..

What do you mean 'like i said', you never said that. Glad to hear that it works for them.

well strangely its not sorted its self.. so im thinking some kind of routing issue between their isp and the server…
01 Apr, 2015, Tijer wrote in the 8th comment:
typo… that should have been NOW…. typing on a phone with autocorrect :)
0.0/8