25 May, 2015, norcookie wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Hi, I just got my own server in a server park, and do not use it
for too much yet, so I thoght starting a MUD whould be a cool
service.

So I guess I`m asking for help.

Im a total noob in when it comes to MUD.

:)
25 May, 2015, quixadhal wrote in the 2nd comment:
Before anyone can make any suggestions, you'll have to let us know what KIND of MUD you want to make. :)

Do you want combat to be the main focus? Questing? Role playing? Building?

Do you want to do it all yourself, or have a team of builders to help you? Do you want players to be able to build? Do you want to allow your builders to work on code without having to give them their own copy?

Are you patient enough to put the time into climbing a pretty steep learning curve, or do you want to just hack your way around stuff as you can?

The kinds of MUD server (and mudlib) I would suggest might be totally unsuitable for what YOU want to do.
25 May, 2015, norcookie wrote in the 3rd comment:
I want to have a service, with coders that has full access, what kind of game I dont know yet.
I want to learn as I go, but I do not have the skills at all to running a MUD, I run a server I just
got and want to offer it as a service, got ip`s and vhost possibillities.

I`m willing to learn offcourse.
Also want to get into playing.

I have to read some more about what kind
of MUD, but then I also think, what is most wanted by others?
25 May, 2015, plamzi wrote in the 4th comment:
norcookie said:
of MUD, but then I also think, what is most wanted by others?

Most wanted would not be a MUD, to be honest. You can run a server / shard for any graphical game that has a published (or hacked) server and you can expect more people to stop by than if you start a brand new MUD.

But out of the MUDs, I would say something Roleplay Intensive. Compared to other kinds, RPI MUDs seem to have fared better overall when the crowds left because they offer something that's very niche and hard to find in modern eyecandy oriented online RPGs. They are also relatively easier to maintain and develop for.

If you really want to do something worthwhile, I suggest you get used to the idea of doing your own coding, not just hosting. So pick a language you already know some of, or a language you want to learn, and go from there.
25 May, 2015, quixadhal wrote in the 5th comment:
Just to clarify, as you're new to the MUD genre.

There are two basic types of game drivers. One has the game systems and code unified into a single thing. The most common and popular of these is a DikuMUD (of which there are *MANY* derivatives). These are pretty straightforward to learn and easy enough to modify if you have (or are willing to learn) some basic programming skills.

The downside to this kind of game is that any code changes require that the driver be recompiled and the game be rebooted. This isn't as bad as it used to be, with techniques to keep the sockets open across the reboot (usually called copyover). However, it has a couple implications. One is that anyone who wants to modify the game systems has to have access to the source code, and likely will need a shell account to compile and install/reboot the game as needed. Another is that since most of these type of games are written in a compiled language without any form of sandboxing, an error will usually cause a crash which may annoy the players until it gets fixed.

The OTHER style of MUD seperates the technical side of the game and the in-game systems side. The "driver" is typically seldom changed, and handles networking, file access, and running game code inside some kind of sandbox or interpreter. The "mudlib" is the collection of game code which makes up your game system. The classic example of an LPMUD, but there have been several written in other languages as well (python and ruby are popular).

In these games, players have the ability to edit code directly in the game, and a simple "update" command refreshes the driver's view of it. Typically, an error in such code only crashes things that rely on it, not the entire game… so while making a mistake in the player object may be effectively a crash, an error in a single orc NPC will only stop that orc from loading.

The downside is, you have to learn the in-game systems, which is usually much more time consuming than just poking at the source code of the other style driver, and there is a performance penalty involved. It won't really matter much these days, but back in 1992, an LPMUD needed a *MUCH* beefier machine than a DikuMUD.

Both styles are equally viable, and which one you pick may depend on your long term goals. It is very difficult to switch once you have time invested, so you may wish to experiment first. :)
28 May, 2015, Hades_Kane wrote in the 6th comment:
If you don't really know much about MUDs… why are you wanting to run one?

I'm not being facetious, this is a sincere question.
16 Sep, 2015, fstltna wrote in the 7th comment:
Maybe you should look at http://lugdunon.net ? It is a 2d graphical mmorpg engine which allows in-game editing and modification and you can even work on it on ipad and android tablets. Both the server and clients are native on mac/linux/win and there is also a html5 client as well. If you have any other questions just ask! surprise
0.0/7