07 Oct, 2015, Davion wrote in the 81st comment:
Votes: 0
For those following along, I've done a few updates to the core, things should be a bit faster. Also, I forgot to collect static files so, now the javascript should update new posts to the correct colour! I've managed to get a lot of testing done on the forum search feature, if you feel the need you can check out www.mudbytes.net/forum/search/
The code is all there and works quite nice. Shorter terms are a bit laggy. Using quotations will group terms, without quotations it'll search for each word within a post. You'll only get the newest posts, as pagination wasn't intended to work with get parameters, so it needs some tweaking.
16 Oct, 2015, Pymeus wrote in the 82nd comment:
I've been experiencing an issue just today (so far) where in Firefox I can't scroll down past about the 20% mark in a Mudbytes topic. This includes scrolling on the mouse wheel, using the scrollbar, arrow keys, page down key, end key.

This does NOT happen if I do one of the following:
(1) Block the site's Javascript (ie with NoScript)
(2) Switch from the URL for a specific post (ie http://www.mudbytes.net/forum/comment/71... ) to the thread URL (ie http://www.mudbytes.net/forum/comment/71... )

So I'm still able to use the site, although it looks kind of funny with the Javascript blocked.

This doesn't happen in Chromium.

Finally, before visiting Mudbytes today and encountering the problem for the first time, I installed an update for Firefox (Linux x86_64, upgraded from 41.0.1 to 41.0.2). So unfortunately I don't know whether changes to Firefox triggered the problem, or there were relevant changes to Mudbytes overnight or this morning.
17 Oct, 2015, Tyche wrote in the 83rd comment:
Pymeus said:
I've been experiencing an issue just today (so far) where in Firefox I can't scroll down past about the 20% mark in a Mudbytes topic. This includes scrolling on the mouse wheel, using the scrollbar, arrow keys, page down key, end key.

Me too.
Running Windows Firefox 41.0.2
17 Oct, 2015, plamzi wrote in the 84th comment:
Me three.

But I have found that if I concentrate really hard, I can almost figure out what the posts further down the page say.

Sometimes, reloading the page sends me to the bottom, which is how I got to post this.

What can I say… it's getting to a point where I sincerely dread loading this site, which I used to do daily.
17 Oct, 2015, Tijer wrote in the 85th comment:
happening in chrome also… when i start to read the thread from the start… it gets stuck… cant actually scroll back in the thread… either…
17 Oct, 2015, Tijer wrote in the 86th comment:
happening in chrome also… when i start to read the thread from the start… it gets stuck… cant actually scroll back in the thread… either…
17 Oct, 2015, Rhien wrote in the 87th comment:
I tried IE, it also gets stuck. Although, I can hold down on the scroll bar so it fires off a bunch of scroll events and it will slowly scroll down (it's jerking back and forth). It appears to be trying to reposition to a post flush at the top of the page?

I also have a touch screen on my laptop and it's the same behavior. When I try to scroll with it I can only scroll one post at a time (or it starts to scroll and then goes back flush with the previous post).
17 Oct, 2015, Pymeus wrote in the 88th comment:
I noticed that in Chromium (where scrolling works out of the box), the site is constantly trying to re-anchor itself on the page. I suppose this is a snap-to-post function. Firefox doesn't attempt to do this, and I don't recall ever seeing it do so.

So going a little further, I've found that if I go into a Javascript console and stub out two of the functions from /static/js/main.js, like so
isScrolledIntoView = function(e) { return false; }
isScrolledTop = function(e) { return false; }

then the scrolling works at least in Firefox. Hopefully this helps focus your debugging efforts.

(This is not a result of any kind of detailed code review. I took a stab in the dark, and it seems to have helped.)
18 Oct, 2015, Tijer wrote in the 89th comment:
I also cant delete my double post further up in the thread.. and when you click on the threads name on front page doesnt go first unread post anymore.. which it did before whatever got changed changed…

I like many others used to visit this place daily… but im finding it increasingly annoying checking in on the site with the issues that are currently here.

I know this isnt a full time job, its something that is done in spare time… but considering this place was more popular than TMC for MUD coding help, really should be on the highest priority to get the place fully functional to where it was before the software change.

Another amusing thing…. when i close all windows on Chrome.. this is listed as an error for the old forum software.. :)
18 Oct, 2015, Davion wrote in the 90th comment:
Sorry, I was working on something that crept it's way into the last update. Search should page now but the URL updated snuck in before I was done. I commented it out so things should work again. Just on a weekend vacation so hopefully this works
18 Oct, 2015, Tijer wrote in the 91st comment:
Davion said:
Sorry, I was working on something that crept it's way into the last update. Search should page now but the URL updated snuck in before I was done. I commented it out so things should work again. Just on a weekend vacation so hopefully this works

when you go to the top of the thread still cant get to later posts.. appears to get stuck in a loop…
19 Oct, 2015, quixadhal wrote in the 92nd comment:
You might consider changing from "infinite scrolling" to a somewhat more traditional (and predictable) page with a "show more" button at the bottom.

Realistically, we know any given page is a database query which returns all the replies in a given thread, sorted by date. As such, I've always found it easier to navigate when you have a tiny navigation aid every N posts which gives you likes to the top, the bottom, "up N", and "down N more".

Now, the fun part is that once entry N is loaded, everything from 0 to N-1 is also loaded, so you can freely scroll throughout any of that without any loading or edges. So… if you *REALLY* want to slowly scroll through the entire thread, you can easily hit "bottom", then hit "top", and mousewheel to your heart's content without it having to constantly fetch new stuff.. and with a meaningful progress bar.

On my my pet peeves with infinite scroll pages is that the progress bar becomes pointless. "Oh, I'm almost done… crap, fooled ya!"

Just a suggestions. It would also make anchors easier, since you aren't needing to use javascript events on the scroll actions, which tend to get messy when also using anchors in the url.

And, it would give you something to do with those empty left and right edges. Stick a pair of up/down on one side every N posts, and a pair of top/bottom on the other side.
19 Oct, 2015, Davion wrote in the 93rd comment:
quixadhal said:
On my my pet peeves with infinite scroll pages is that the progress bar becomes pointless. "Oh, I'm almost done… crap, fooled ya!"

Just a suggestions. It would also make anchors easier, since you aren't needing to use javascript events on the scroll actions, which tend to get messy when also using anchors in the url.

This is kind of what I'm working on. My big focus right now is hammering down navigation and preventing that feeling of being lost in a thread. I've changed how pagination works to smooth out the functionality and make it more consistent throughout the site. I'll be adding navigational aids next, and then controls.
20 Oct, 2015, Ssolvarain wrote in the 94th comment:
Any chance we could review a thread while posting a quoted reply? I forget people's names and such…
20 Oct, 2015, Davion wrote in the 95th comment:
Ssolvarain said:
Any chance we could review a thread while posting a quoted reply? I forget people's names and such…

The last 5 comments are shown below a reply box. Not sure why I didn't set that up to scroll, but I can if you want.
20 Oct, 2015, Davion wrote in the 96th comment:
I think pretty much everything is exposed now. We now control the vertical sure
20 Oct, 2015, Ssolvarain wrote in the 97th comment:
I'm pretty sure MSN is no longer an active service. You could maybe remove that from profiles, or hide it?
17 Dec, 2015, Kaz wrote in the 98th comment:
Davion. Perhaps this has been mentioned, but there's a bug or two in the forum overview: the number of replies actually seems to be the number of posts. Also, all of the posts have only 1 view.

I only mention this because I've been tracking the number of views my announcement has been received, and was quite disappointed until I noticed that all the other posts also had the same number of view.
18 Dec, 2015, Tijer wrote in the 99th comment:
its been posted in this thread further up that they had to switch to this unfinished version of the site as the old version was causing a lot of issues for the server. So this is a work in progress, lots of things probably arent working how Davion would want them to… but they will… in time….
12 Feb, 2016, Davion wrote in the 100th comment:
Kaz said:
Davion. Perhaps this has been mentioned, but there's a bug or two in the forum overview: the number of replies actually seems to be the number of posts. Also, all of the posts have only 1 view.

I only mention this because I've been tracking the number of views my announcement has been received, and was quite disappointed until I noticed that all the other posts also had the same number of view.

I fixed these guys a little awhile ago (shortly after the post was made). The view count is limited to members seeing the first post for the first time. It currently doesn't track unregistered users, so they'll be quite low.

I've also fixed the wiki. Tough nut to crack but I forgot to install some stuff on the local python installation. Should work as intended!
80.0/102