01 Feb, 2008, Avaeryn wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
I find myself in need of a laptop. There is some question as to which OS to go with: Windows Vista or a Unbuntu OS?

I can easily find a Vista or even XP laptop, even found a Compaq locally with 3gb of ram and Vista home premium, 120gb hd, and a few other goodies, for $698 USD.

I have really wanted to make the change to *nix for a long time. Finally found this wonderful systemat Dell with Ubuntu. Great price, great features. So I thought I'd ask for some advice here from those of you who may have experience with either, or both, systems.

Thanks for any advice/help you can give!
01 Feb, 2008, Guest wrote in the 2nd comment:
I'm not all that familiar with the ton of laptops out there but I've seen some really nice units from Toshiba lately.

As far as the OS, if you can avoid Vista at all, you'd be in much better shape. If you're looking at linux anyway then you may as well go with Ubuntu. I've seen plenty of good things said about it but it will not work on my desktop.
01 Feb, 2008, Avaeryn wrote in the 3rd comment:
Those were my thoughts as well, Samson. I've used Ubuntu and Knoppix extensively, don't feel like it would be difficult at all to make the change. I've heard from many people that Vista is difficult to use and a huge security risk. Several others say Vista hasn't been a problem, is very nice once you get used to it, and have had no problems thus far.

The only thing that makes me want to veer into the Windows environment *again* is that any documents I create must be Windows XP/Vista and Microsoft Office 2003 compatible. I don't know if Open Office has managed to become compatible with Office 2007, which is the next upgrade that the university will make some time in the future. I can only hope that one day I'll see the change from Microsoft to *nix, but I don't expect to see that on a large scale as only the computer programming department seems to use *nix at all.
01 Feb, 2008, Guest wrote in the 4th comment:
I've been able to trade documents in Office 2003 formats with Open Office 2.2 so they've at least made it that far. Nobody really *NEEDS* the Office 2007 upgrade, but we all know how Micro$haft bullies companies and schools into doing it anyway.
01 Feb, 2008, Asylumius wrote in the 5th comment:
There are a ton of articles, blog posts, howto's, etc on how to "make the switch" from Windows to Linux (Ubuntu), including lists of which software replaces what.

If you're interesting in trying Linux, I would definitely go with one of Dell's laptops. At least then, you'll KNOW the wireless will work, as well as all the other hardware. I've heard great things about IBM's Thinkpad's too, with regards to Linux.
01 Feb, 2008, Guest wrote in the 6th comment:
The only problem I see with Lenovo's laptops is the hardware reliability. We seem to have picked up a rather large bad batch of the T61 models.
02 Feb, 2008, Darwin wrote in the 7th comment:
My wife just got a new Compaq equipped with Windows Vista. It's been a little over two weeks now and she's still complaining about the issues Vista gives her. We can't change the OS on her laptop or it will void the warranty. :mad: On the other hand, I have taken our Windows XP computer and installed Ubuntu on it. I had set up a dual-boot system, but have not used WinXP since she got her laptop.

I've found that almost any Windows application I need can be run fairly well using WINE.

As far as your issue with office documents, I think you may be able to upload them to Google Docs and convert them into an appropriate format if needed… or just install MS Office under WINE.
02 Feb, 2008, Idealiad wrote in the 8th comment:
It does sound like Avaeryn is looking for an up-to-date system, but for my money I always go with older model (IBM) thinkpads (a 600x and a T40). They're extremely affordable, the build quality has been reliable (and I like their look the best – other people say they're clunky looking though).

The big thing with Linux and laptops is wireless. It's not always straightforward if you don't want to spend some time on it – so though I personally wouldn't go with something like a Dell with Linux it might be a good choice for a primary machine.
02 Feb, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 9th comment:
Darwin said:
As far as your issue with office documents, I think you may be able to upload them to Google Docs and convert them into an appropriate format if needed… or just install MS Office under WINE.

Chances are that any conversion you could do using Google Docs you could also do using Open Office. Also, keep in mind that Open Office writes document formats compliant with at least the older versions of Office; any newer version could read the older Office formats.

Idealiad said:
The big thing with Linux and laptops is wireless.

Agreed – at least this was my experience when I tried it last time around in 2005 or so. It was far too painful to change wireless access points. I also disliked having to edit xorg.conf every time I changed the number of available buttons on my mouse – I had two mice, one three-button+wheel in my backpack and one five-button+wheel on the "docking station". But X forces you to set the mouse config in the .conf file which IMHO is fairly ridiculous. Anyhoo.
02 Feb, 2008, Avaeryn wrote in the 10th comment:
Idealiad said:
It does sound like Avaeryn is looking for an up-to-date system, but for my money I always go with older model (IBM) thinkpads (a 600x and a T40). They're extremely affordable, the build quality has been reliable (and I like their look the best – other people say they're clunky looking though).

The big thing with Linux and laptops is wireless. It's not always straightforward if you don't want to spend some time on it – so though I personally wouldn't go with something like a Dell with Linux it might be a good choice for a primary machine.

I definitely am looking for an up-to-date system. Reliability, portability, ability to multitask with ease, and wireless are requirements. I can afford to give up some disk space because I'm not into collecting mp3s and the like, so an 80 gig or so would do quite well. Don't have a problem converting docs in Google, just have to make sure the professors can open them. It's a gut wrenching thing to be told point-blank first day of class that any documents the professor(s) can't open will be trashed and not graded. :cry: Currently everyone is still using Office 2003, which I have a copy of on my primary machine. The transition to Office 2007 and Vista is imminent, though. You know how universities like to keep up with Ole Bill :cry:

I appreciate the input on the technical aspect as well, because I have enough headaches without a technical glitch showing up. Not really a technically savvy person, but I can muddle my way through in most instances. Google is my savior! It's always good to hear from people who have experience with certain brands, operating systems and the like. I definitely trust you guys over the anonymous ratings many computer web sites offer. Never know who's behind the five-star things.
02 Feb, 2008, Conner wrote in the 11th comment:
For what it's worth, I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop that I've been very happy with, but I haven't tried switching it to Linux.. on the other hand, my desktop computer is running Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy) currently and I've no problems with it to date except with one of the last upgrades to Firefox conflicting with the default Gnome screen saver controller.
10 Apr, 2008, Magus wrote in the 12th comment:
Ya know, I'm on the same quest as you are buddy, except I'm looking for a free laptop because well, let's face facts, my wallet needs prayer :P

But I hear good things about Windows Vista Ultimate.
10 Apr, 2008, Darwin wrote in the 13th comment:
Magus said:
But I hear good things about Windows Vista Ultimate.

You're joking, right? :stare:
10 Apr, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 14th comment:
I heard something good about it: it's not installed on my computer. :tongue:
11 Apr, 2008, Guest wrote in the 15th comment:
Wait. Someone heard something *GOOD* about Vista? Seriously? So should I die of shock now, or wait for morning?
11 Apr, 2008, Conner wrote in the 16th comment:
At least wait for morning (do it over breakfast) so the roommates have a better chance of noticing the event. :wink:
11 Apr, 2008, Magus wrote in the 17th comment:
Hahahaha.
No I'm only going from browsing and research. This should be amusing to you: The place that gave Vista Ultimate a good review is here Microsoft's desperation move

Apparently Microsoft, out of desperation sent a free laptop to a blogger so they could get publicity. A new low if you ask me.
11 Apr, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 18th comment:
I'm not sure why it's a "new low" – it is very standard procedure to send reviewers free hardware/software if you want them to review it. If they felt that this blogger was prominent, it makes perfect sense for them to send them free material to review.
11 Apr, 2008, kiasyn wrote in the 19th comment:
…I'll review it.
11 Apr, 2008, Guest wrote in the 20th comment:
The blog article was posted in December of 2006, and I'm gathering from the tone of it that the guy thinks MS did it to try and sway him away from using Macs :P
0.0/56