12 Mar, 2008, Darwin wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Reviews for 1and1.com
Of the two sites Samson mentioned, 1and1.com seems to the worst. In one review I read, the poster was looking for a "0 out of 5" option, but had to choose 1 as the scale didn't include a zero.
  • I wish this site had an entry for gandi.net. There seems to be a fair amount of reviews for various registrars on this one site. WebHostingJury: 1and1 reviews
    Notable quotes:
    Honest advice, unless you are a complete dodo,

DONT EVEN THINK OF 1AND1

How can a company charge a late fee without first presenting a bill with a due date?

This is the worst hosting company in the world! the only thing they can do best is cheating people.

About 1and1, Worst Service, Worst Support, Worst Hosting, Worst Web Corporate, Worst Everything except for their prices.

These just go on and on. Sounds like a top-quality company that I would just LOVE to deal with. :stare: Most reviews give 1and1.com an overall rating of 1 out of 5.

• This is an entry from someone's blog, presumably someone named Michael Gray. This one is great because it has 105 comments following the post that all concur with what he's saying about 1and1.com. Graywolf's SEO Blog

• This site has another list of user reviews. The general overtone of these customers isn't a very pleasant one. 1and1 Hosting Reviews

Reviews for gandi.net
Finding reviews for (or against) gandi.net proved to be a little difficult. I managed to dig up at least three sites of interest. For the most part, gandi.net customers seem to be pleased with the service/package they've received for the price they paid.
  • This is from a forum post somewhere where a user is asking for a recommendation and they are pointed to gandi.net. Webhosting Talk

• This appears to be another blog. The poster is comparing registrars and ultimately chooses to go with gandi.net. Voices from Catland

• This one is a reader comment on an article posted on C|Net News.com. They have quite the difference of opinion compared to the previous links. www.news.com: user comment

This is not to prove or disprove that overseas companies are out to screw Samson. This, however, does make it rather clear that 1and1.com is not a very reputable company to do business with. The jury is still out on what to make of gandi.net, as the views about the company are mixed.
12 Mar, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 2nd comment:
About 1and1, Worst Service, Worst Support, Worst Hosting, Worst Web Corporate, Worst Everything except for their prices.

Heh – I guess this gives proof to the adage that you get what you pay for, right? :wink: Like with RegisterFly: some of the best prices around, until the whole thing blew up in everybody's faces…
12 Mar, 2008, Guest wrote in the 3rd comment:
And yet strangely enough 1and1.com is a saint compared to Registerfly. I have no experience with their hosting but based on how I've been treated with domains I can't imagine it would be all that great. Did the only sensible thing and bailed out as soon as I could.
12 Mar, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 4th comment:
Registerfly was actually ok until their catastrophic meltdown. I had need to talk to their support from time to time before that, and it worked itself out (even though it sometimes took a while). It's just that, well, they had a catastrophic meltdown… I'd rather have a durable but annoying host than one that has good support but then blows up in my face. :tongue:
12 Mar, 2008, Noplex wrote in the 5th comment:
I have been using Gandi.net for years, and have never had a problem with them (sans a few problems with their old credit card system billing me twice - but that was quickly resolved). I have also used Network Solutions, but due to the recent practices, I'm not sure I will use them again. (Network Solutions was caught fronting domain names based upon customer's search queries, and then reselling them for a rate higher than their posted one.) I will never use 1on1.com hosting, or registering. I have Dreamhost simply because its cheap.
17 Mar, 2008, Guest wrote in the 6th comment:
I've been pretty happy with netfirms.com - up until I asked how to stop the auto-renewals. Yep, one might guess, you can't. I don't know that I understand the logic here, especially with fraud as rampant as it is, why a company would deny customers the option of stopping automatic renewals that generate charges to their credit cards. So as much as it pains me to ditch the free whois protection and the otherwise great service, this is a deal breaker for me.

So far I'm really liking the options I'm getting on dynadot.com. My only complaint is that they charge for whois privacy which is something you get free at netfirms.com. But considering what some places charge just to register domains, such as networksolutions.com where it's like $25/yr, paying the extra $2/yr per domain still puts you well under such robber barons :)

Gandi.net is a joke. They claimed to offer whois privacy with the account but the information is wide open for all to see and their control panel has no options to enable it, and the only support answers I keep getting back are all in French. So it's hasta la bye bye when the 60 day transfer lock is lifted.

Pretty likely I'll end up consolidating everything with dynadot.com.
19 Mar, 2008, Rojan QDel wrote in the 7th comment:
GoDaddy, though I always avoided them in favor of cheaper registrars in the past, now hosts all of my domains. They're reliable, their control panel can basically do anything you'll ever need it to do, and there's ALWAYS coupons to get discounts.
19 Mar, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 8th comment:
and there's ALWAYS coupons to get discounts.

Yes, almost every week in fact, you get the same "limited time" discounts… :tongue: It's nice to have constant discounts, I suppose, but it's really just a marketing gimmick to make you buy sooner rather than later.
20 Mar, 2008, Guest wrote in the 9th comment:
GoDaddy has a terrible reputation though for abusing their powers once they have you. I've run into countless instances of minor errors in the whois info resulting in the loss of the domain to spammers because some nosy jackass filed a hollow complaint with them about it. I had some links I could post about it but they seem to have gotten lost. Though I'm sure you can find plenty of examples over at http://forums.nodaddy.com to chew on. It would take an awful lot to convince me to go with them for any reason.
20 Mar, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 10th comment:
It seems to me that every provider with prices under $25/year has a terrible reputation for something
20 Mar, 2008, Conner wrote in the 11th comment:
No-ip.com charges less than $25/year, what's their terrible reputation for? Or is $24.95/year per domain name provided you've only got 5 or less domain names involved high enough? :wink:
21 Mar, 2008, Guest wrote in the 12th comment:
I don't know anything about no-ip.com myself but I'd be offput by the site soley based on the volume discounts. It screams "cybersquatters welcome" just seeing it. And their page reeks of one of those "this domain is for sale" kind of pages. :)
0.0/12