26 Jan, 2009, Skol wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
I was just looking into this, a bot (or perhaps just code) that sends up Tweet's to twitter.
Kind of a running RSS on things in game.

Anyone looked at something similar? Could be bitchin code, I'd even release a snip once I figure out Twitter. Way to keep those on there updated with fun info. Maybe even an imm command 'tweet <stuff>' etc.
26 Jan, 2009, Kline wrote in the 2nd comment:
First, wtf is Twitter? Like, I seriously don't believe that I live under a rock, but I just hear mention of it here and there in news and now here. Went to the website once, didn't see anything interesting, and left it alone.

So…Whats the obsession? :(
26 Jan, 2009, Zeno wrote in the 3rd comment:
Microblogging. New big thing.
26 Jan, 2009, Pedlar wrote in the 4th comment:
Yea i was jus at the website too and it didnt intrest me in the slightest, but im not a blogger type
26 Jan, 2009, Kline wrote in the 5th comment:
K, I steer far far clear of blog* things. So just one to add to my list. Thanks for the info at any rate :)
26 Jan, 2009, Skol wrote in the 6th comment:
I hear you, I never have used it either but apparently it's becoming a way that people like to communicate.
I figure if I can work it up, I can make a snip that people can drop into their game and allow people to follow the game from anywhere etc. They do texts, emails etc as well so if someone _really_ wants to follow the game they could.

Anyway, got an account set up '@ansalonmud' if anyone wants to follow it and has Twitter etc. I'll keep you posted on any advancements and such. Might be a nice way to announce quests, PK's, imm announcements etc (do_tweet(stuff)) etc.
26 Jan, 2009, Skol wrote in the 7th comment:
27 Jan, 2009, Lyanic wrote in the 8th comment:
I started a Twitter account for The 7th Plane several months ago - I posted real time updates on development progress.

Essentially whenever I finished testing a small component of some new system in development, I'd submit a one-line status update of the test results.
27 Jan, 2009, Skol wrote in the 9th comment:
Nice, any of the players follow it?
27 Jan, 2009, quixadhal wrote in the 10th comment:
I guess knowing that "Bob is picking his nose" at 7:48pm, Monday is important data for today's youth.

I suppose it makes some sense for developer updates and such, as it's probably less work to type a one-liner into their UI and hit go than to edit a post on a full blog site, or check entries into svn/cvs/etc… As I recall, someone wrote a twitter app for the Nintendo DS. Maybe I'll go dig that out, it would be somewhat amusing. :)
27 Jan, 2009, Lyanic wrote in the 11th comment:
Skol said:
Nice, any of the players follow it?

It has been stuck at 9 followers for awhile. But yes, they are players - I sent the Twitter follow link to the MUD's mailing list. I was a bit disappointed that it got such a low response, especially considering how much the players question me on the MUD about the progress of new content/features in development. And they still do…
27 Jan, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 12th comment:
Twitter is used for people who have high mobile connectivity (unlimited SMS messages, for example) and for whom it's important to know every little bit of info about their friends. I don't use the service much but it's the "new big thing" for a lot of people. I guess it's kind of like facebook status updates, except it gets delivered straight to people who follow you.

Personally I don't see the point much; it would be kind of like information overload, and the constant interruptions for small things would be kind of tiresome. I prefer reading blog entries that get nicely aggregated into an RSS feed that I can read at my leisure.
27 Jan, 2009, Guest wrote in the 13th comment:
So does this make me a dinosaur because I never got a MySpace, Facebook *OR* Twitter account and don't see the purpose in getting any of them? :P
27 Jan, 2009, Kayle wrote in the 14th comment:
But you're a dinosaur already, you big Undead Space Iguanadon you…
27 Jan, 2009, Kline wrote in the 15th comment:
Samson said:
So does this make me a dinosaur because I never got a MySpace, Facebook *OR* Twitter account and don't see the purpose in getting any of them? :P

I'm not alone?!
27 Jan, 2009, The_Fury wrote in the 16th comment:
Samson said:

I'm with you, i don't have a Myface or a Spacebook either, and twitter just seems to be a greater imposition on my private space, i even hate cell phone because of the disruption they place on every day life. In Japan, it is impolite to take a call on the train, bus or in public events, or even for it to beep with a message.

I wish it was like that here, at my kids graduation it was said no less than 3 times to be respectful and turn off your mobiles, in the middle of the first set of awards, the guy sitting right behind me, phone rang, followed by Im at my kids graduation i will call you back later. I turned around and said to him, who the f*** do you think you are, the prime f****** minister, turn your phone off d*******. I got a round of applause from the people near by.

I see twitter and similar in the same light, a greater imposition on my personal space and time that is just not needed.
27 Jan, 2009, Tyche wrote in the 17th comment:
I don't even have a cell phone, so if I twittered I would get a tweet.
27 Jan, 2009, Skol wrote in the 18th comment:
Hm, the cellphone tangent made me think of a different angle…
You can tweet via cellphone as a text, you can also email from your computer to a cellphone (still as text, they change it to text if you send it to the right place).. So maybe I could use sendmail to blip the updates as if I were texting them in…
Just thinking outside of the linux box ;p
0.0/18