30 Jan, 2009, Rojan QDel wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
I have this strange bug in const.c that I can't seem to figure out…
const.c:551: warning: missing initializer for member `quote_type::by'

It's in a quotes table that we have, structured like so:
const struct quote_type quote_table [MAX_QUOTES] =
{
{ "Quote", "Author" },
{ "Quote 2", "Author 2" },
{ "Quote 3", "Author 3" }
}; //Line 551

I've definitely seen..and fixed this warning before on another codebase, though I can't remember how. Could anyone offer some advice?
30 Jan, 2009, Kayle wrote in the 2nd comment:
It means MAX_QUOTES is defined as one more than the number of entries you have in the table.
30 Jan, 2009, Rojan QDel wrote in the 3rd comment:
When I lower the number by one, I get this:
Compiling o/const.o…const.c:551: error: too many initializers for `const quote_type[38]'
const.c:551: warning: missing initializer for member `quote_type::by'
30 Jan, 2009, Kayle wrote in the 4th comment:
Can you post the whole table, and the MAX_QUOTES define so I can see them?
30 Jan, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 5th comment:
Post the definition of the quote_type structure – it's telling you that you're not initializing all members of the structure.
30 Jan, 2009, Rojan QDel wrote in the 6th comment:
struct quote_type
{
char * text;
char * by;
};
30 Jan, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 7th comment:
Oh, never mind then. Well, do what Kayle said and show us the whole table and the value of MAX_QUOTES.
30 Jan, 2009, Rojan QDel wrote in the 8th comment:
const struct quote_type quote_table [MAX_QUOTES] =
{
{ "All battles are fought at the junction of two or more map sheets.", "Murphy's Laws of Combat"},
{ "If the enemy is in range, so are you.", "Murphy's Laws of Combat" },
{ "Incoming fire has the right of way.", "Murphy's Laws of Combat" },
{ "Dont look conspicuous… It draws fire.", "Murphy's Laws of Combat" },
{ "There is always a way.\n\r The easy way is always mined.", "Murphy's Laws of Combat" },
{ "Try to look unimportant, they may be low on ammo.", "Murphy's Laws of Combat" },
{ "Teamwork is essential… It gives them someone else to shoot at.", "Murphy's Laws of Combat" },
{ "The tank is a monument to the inaccuracy of indirect fire.", "Murphy's Laws of Combat" },
{ "Never reinforce failure… failure reinforces itself.", "Murphy's Laws of Combat" },
{ "Odd objects attact fire. You are odd.", "Murphy's Laws of Combat" },
{ "If they are shooting at you, it is a high-intensity conflict.", "Murphy's Laws of Combat" },
{ "War is the unfolding of miscalculations.", "Murphy's Laws of Combat" },
{ "A sucking chest wound is natures way of saying 'Slow down'", "Murphy's Laws of Combat" },
{ "Never draw fire…. It irritates everyone around you.", "Murphy's Laws of Combat" },
{ "Friendly fire… Is'nt.", "Murphy's Laws of Combat" },
{ "No matter which way you have to march… Its always uphill.", "Murphy's Laws of Combat" },
{ "For every action, there is a equal and opposite criticism.", "Murphy's Laws of Combat" },
{ "If its stupid but it works… Then its not stupid.", "Murphy's Laws of Combat" },
{ "When in doubt…. Empty the magazine.", "Murphy's Laws of Combat" },
{ "If it flies… It dies…", "Murphy's Laws of Combat" },
{ "(OOC) *Zakharov Obi-Wan's LOTJ Last Words: Strike me down and I'll use the points to make an alt more powerful than you can possibly imagine." },
{ "Tracers work BOTH WAYS.", "Murphy's Laws of Combat" },
{ "Military intelligence is a contradiction of terms.", "Murphy's Laws of Combat" },
{ "Priorities are made by officers, not by God. There IS a diffrenence.", "Murphy's Laws of Combat" },
{ "If you need a officer in a hurry… Take a nap.", "Murphy's Laws of Combat" },
{ "The weapon that usally jams when you need it most is yours.", "Murphy's Laws of Combat" },
{ "Peace is our profession… Mass murder is just a hobby.", "Murphy's Laws of Combat" },
{ "Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.", "Murphy's Laws of Combat" },
{ "When you lose contact with the enemy, look behind you.", "Murphy's Laws of Combat" },
{ "The most dangerous thing in a combat zone is an officer with a map.", "Murphy's Laws of Combat" },
{ "There is nothing more satisfying then having someone take a shot at you. And miss.", "Murphy's Laws of Combat" },
{ "Theres too much blood in my caffine system!", "Unknown" },
{ "We have enough youth, how about a fountain of smart?", "Unknown" },
{ "Yeah, Right… Like their going to give beggars weapons! Bwhahahaha!", "Famous last words of Imperial Spies" },
{ "Always walk at the end of the line. Your less likely to get hit by the claymores.", "Great words of Advice" },
{ "You have two choices: Kill, or be Killed. Or maybe a third I have'nt thought of…", "Unknown" },
{ "Hey, This Doormat kind of looks like a mine! Wait-a-minute…", "Famous last words of Imperial Spies" },
{ "Can you say terrorism? I though you could!", "Mister Rodgers, Black Sun Inductee" },
{ "The complexity of a weapon is inversely proportional to the IQ of its operator.", "Murphy's Laws of Combat" }
};

#define MAX_QUOTES 39
30 Jan, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 9th comment:
{ "(OOC) *Zakharov Obi-Wan's LOTJ Last Words: Strike me down and I'll use the points to make an alt more powerful than you can possibly imagine." },

there's your culprit (at least one of them…)

This is why it's useful to post the actual code, not try to simplify it into something that doesn't exhibit the problem behavior. I suspect that the example you gave above would actually compile! If you're going to give a minimal example, make sure it actually exhibits the problem…
30 Jan, 2009, Rojan QDel wrote in the 10th comment:
Our current code does compile. But that fixed the warning, thanks!
30 Jan, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 11th comment:
Sorry, by "compile", I meant "compile cleanly" (where "cleanly" means without the problem in question). But good to hear that it's gone now!
0.0/11