14 Feb, 2009, Igabod wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Alright, I'm working on making a website and I want a frame off to the left (like mudconnect.com has) I've got the menu.html and main.html done. I've also got a file called frameset.html with the frames setup. All the tutorials I've found online though are sorta vague as to how to make this work.

I want this all to show up on index.html properly so that when i type in the address without a file extension, my page with the frame and main.html shows up. Can anybody tell me what I need to do next to make this work? I am a lot more rusty with HTML than I originally thought, and I've never done frames before.

If any more info is needed let me know and I'll provide it.
14 Feb, 2009, Igabod wrote in the 2nd comment:
Ok well, I tried renaming frameset.html to index.html and change main.html to frontpage.html and got it working. I guess you can ignore this thread.
14 Feb, 2009, Igabod wrote in the 3rd comment:
I just tried to view my webpage using IE for testing purposes and found that only the frames are displaying. The frontpage.html portion is showing up as just white space. This is pretty weird cause I'm just using basic html that has always worked for me before with no problems. Is this just because IE is getting more and more retarded or have I messed something up with the frameset? here's the code for my frameset:

<frameset cols="130,*" frameborder="0" border="0" framespacing="0">
<frame src="menu.html" name="Menu" noresize scrolling="no">
<frameset rows="110,*" frameborder="0" border="0" framespacing="0">
<frame src="banner.html" name="Banner" noresize scrolling="no"
<frame src="frontpage.html" name="Main" noresize scrolling="auto">
</frameset>

is there something there that conflicts with IE or something? I am probably just going to design this site with firefox in mind if this is due to IE being retarded. I'll put a message up calling anybody who uses IE an F-ing retard on one of the frames.
14 Feb, 2009, Guest wrote in the 4th comment:
Tried running your code through an HTML validator to make sure it's even structured right?
14 Feb, 2009, Igabod wrote in the 5th comment:
Sure haven't, but I'm pretty good at following the structure rules, it's pretty simple when you have a very uncomplicated page like mine. I guess I'll do that real quick anyway just to make sure though.

[edit to add] haha turns out I somehow deleted all the html from index.html except for the parts between <frameset> and </frameset>. Somehow firefox corrects this but IE doesn't. Problem solved.
14 Feb, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 6th comment:
Incidentally, the snippet you posted is not proper HTML. Most browsers will correct mistakes, like forgetting to close one frameset before opening another, or opening two and only closing one, but it's generally better to have it be structurally correct.
16 Feb, 2009, Igabod wrote in the 7th comment:
DavidHaley said:
Incidentally, the snippet you posted is not proper HTML. Most browsers will correct mistakes, like forgetting to close one frameset before opening another, or opening two and only closing one, but it's generally better to have it be structurally correct.

Whats wrong with that code? It's a template from editplus. I accidentally left off the 2nd </frameset> when I was pasting it, but other than that I see no problems and neither does my validator in HTML-Kit.
16 Feb, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 8th comment:
Igabod said:
Whats wrong with that code?

Igabod said:
I accidentally left off the 2nd </frameset> when I was pasting it

Uh… :thinking:

Enough said, I think? :wink:
17 Feb, 2009, Guest wrote in the 9th comment:
Igabod said:
Sure haven't, but I'm pretty good at following the structure rules, it's pretty simple when you have a very uncomplicated page like mine. I guess I'll do that real quick anyway just to make sure though.

[edit to add] haha turns out I somehow deleted all the html from index.html except for the parts between <frameset> and </frameset>. Somehow firefox corrects this but IE doesn't. Problem solved

The irony here being that IE did the right thing by making it break so you could see there was a problem. In any case, using a validator is good for just checking for errors in much the same way you hope your compiler picks them up when you're coding for the MUD.

David also has a good point in that you asked for help with a chunk of code that was pasted with a missing part. So as far as we could see it was broken period. No way to know you simply missed it when pasting here. :)
18 Feb, 2009, Igabod wrote in the 10th comment:
I see, I didn't realize I did that till after he asked about it. And by my last post, I meant aside from that mistake in pasting, was there something wrong with it, he made it sound as though there were some other error I hadn't noticed.

Anyway, thank you guys for the help, I'm bound to have a bunch more html related questions in the near future as I work on my webpage more and more.
18 Feb, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 11th comment:
That was the error I was referring to. We have no way of knowing which errors you've noticed unless you tell us. We can only go by what you post after all, not what's in your head. :wink:
0.0/11