11 Mar, 2009, Hades_Kane wrote in the 21st comment:
Votes: 0
from the area directory, type:

nohup ./startup &

You might also look at the thread titled something like "Ssol's newbie department of "oh crap!"" because he's asked some similar questions you might find some helpful info in there.
11 Mar, 2009, boblinski wrote in the 22nd comment:
Bob@BOB /cygdrive/c/qmud/area
$ nohup ./startup &
[1] 5284

Bob@BOB /cygdrive/c/qmud/area
$ nohup: ignoring input and appending output to `nohup.out'
nohup: cannot run command `./startup': No such file or directory

Hmm?
11 Mar, 2009, Skol wrote in the 23rd comment:
Bob, try in area directory (rom/area/)
./startup &
11 Mar, 2009, Tyche wrote in the 24th comment:
Possible problems to look for in order and how to fix:

1) Make sure there is a "startup" script in the area directory and that it's executable.

$ ls -l startup
-rwx–x–x+ 1 jlambert None 690 Mar 17 1996 startup

2) If the executable bits (x) don't show up, you have to set them.

$ chmod +x startup

Note: On Vista, You may have to run cygwin shell as admin if you can't change permissions.

3) startup might be a c-shell script and you don't have tcsh installed.

To check…

$ head -n1 startup
#!/bin/csh

That's a c-shell script above

To check if tcsh package is installed…

$ cygcheck -c tcsh
Cygwin Package Information
Package Version Status
tcsh 6.15.00-4 OK

If not run cygwin setup program, find it, select it and install it.

4) Lastly if you edited the startup script with an editor that doesn't preserve unix style line-endings like notepad, and inserts carriage returns
you need to remove them.

The DOS to Unix conversion progam is one way to do it…

$ d2u startup
startup: done.

It's in the cygutils package.

$ cygcheck -c cygutils
Package Version Status
cygutils 1.3.2-1 OK

Don't have that? Run setup and go install it.
11 Mar, 2009, boblinski wrote in the 25th comment:
To check if tcsh package is installed…

$ cygcheck -c tcsh
Package Version Status
tcsh 6.15.00-4 OK

If not run cygwin setup program, find it, select it and install it

This is the bit I have to do.

How do I install just that package without having to re-install all of Cygwin?
11 Mar, 2009, Tyche wrote in the 26th comment:
boblinski said:
How do I install just that package without having to re-install all of Cygwin?

Installing and Updating Cygwin
11 Mar, 2009, boblinski wrote in the 27th comment:
I can't seem to find a specific section explaining updating..

I don't want to download the whole thing again cause it takes hours with my connection. :cry:
11 Mar, 2009, Igabod wrote in the 28th comment:
steps to take to install new packages while retaining your current packages.

1. run cygwinsetup.exe
2. click next
3. install from internet and click next
4. click next till you get to the choose a download site screen and pick one then click next
5. find the package you want (for tcsh look under shells) and click the numbers next to the weird symbol till it says install
6. repeat till you get all the packages selected (the more packages you select at one time the longer it takes)
7. click next and it'll install the new packages

I didn't wanna actually install anything so I'm not clicking next but you can figure out anything else there might be. This may take a little time with a dialup connection but it's not gonna be as bad as the first time unless you select a bunch of packages to install.

My advice is to install only what you absolutely need at the moment and then eventually install other things one or two at a time as time permits. Good luck.
11 Mar, 2009, Tyche wrote in the 29th comment:
boblinski said:
I can't seem to find a specific section explaining updating..

Why? I mean it's on the front page.

Installing and Updating Cygwin

The latest net releases of the Cygwin DLL are numbered 1.n.x, where "n" is currently "5" (e.g., 1.5.25). Any Cygwin program built from December 1998 onward should work correctly with 1.n.x DLLs.

The 1.n.x version numbering refers only to the Cygwin DLL. Individual packages like bash, gcc, less, etc. are released independently of the DLL. The setup.exe utility tracks the versions of all installed components and provides the mechanism for installing or updating everything available from this site for Cygwin.

The signature for setup.exe can be used to verify the validity of this binary using this public key.

Run setup.exe any time you want to update or install a Cygwin package.

Note that, when installing packages for the first time, setup.exe does not install every package. Only the minimal base packages from the Cygwin distribution are installed by default. Clicking on categories and packages in the setup.exe package installation screen will provide you with the ability to control what is installed or updated. Clicking on the "Default" field next to the "All" category will provide you with the opportunity to install every Cygwin package. Be advised that this will download and install hundreds of megabytes to your computer. The best plan is probably to click on individual categories and install either entire categories or packages from the categories themselves.

Once you've installed your desired subset of the Cygwin distribution, setup.exe will remember what you selected so rerunning the program will update your system with any new package releases.
11 Mar, 2009, Sandi wrote in the 30th comment:
I keep looking and looking, and while I'd be overjoyed to be corrected on this, it seems to me they're all the same - very limited. I just started using PuTTy myself, and it's main advantage is so many others use it, you can get help when you need it.

Lately I've been using the free WinSCP program to edit files on the server. It lets you set external editor associations, so I can edit things with my favorite Windows programs, even the HTML and .jpegs.

However, if you edit the file at home, then FTP it to the server to compile, you got yourself instant off-site back-up. :wink:
13 Mar, 2009, boblinski wrote in the 31st comment:
[boblinski@mudsystems area]$ ./startup 9999 &
-bash: ./startup: Permission denied
[1] 2411
[1]+ Exit 126 ./startup 9999
[boblinski@mudsystems area]$

This is the error I get trying to use my startup script on the server. The server has Fedora 8.
13 Mar, 2009, Lobotomy wrote in the 32nd comment:
You need to set the startup script as having execute permission, via chmod. Try entering "chmod u+x startup".
13 Mar, 2009, Fizban wrote in the 33rd comment:
Also (Lobotomy is entirely correct, this is just an addition) I'd suggest running the startup script in the background by tacking an & onto the end of the line.
13 Mar, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 34th comment:
Already has the ampersand.
13 Mar, 2009, Fizban wrote in the 35th comment:
David Haley said:
Already has the ampersand.

Doh, so it does, I glanced and saw the following line, "[1]+ Exit 126 ./startup 9999", and didn't see three lines above it where it was there.
15 Mar, 2009, boblinski wrote in the 36th comment:
[boblinski@MudSystems area]$ ./startup 9999 &
[1] 2525
[boblinski@MudSystems area]$ -bash: ./startup: /bin/csh: bad interpreter: No such file or directory
15 Mar, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 37th comment:
Did you install tcsh as previous posts said to do?
15 Mar, 2009, boblinski wrote in the 38th comment:
I'm using putty on the server now, not Cygwin.
15 Mar, 2009, Kline wrote in the 39th comment:
So you found hosting? :) Infinitely better than Cygwin, if that's the case.
18 Mar, 2009, Kjwah wrote in the 40th comment:
Kline said:
So you found hosting? :) Infinitely better than Cygwin, if that's the case.

Depends on the hosting.
20.0/50