24 Mar, 2009, Jhypsy Shah wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
I've been making a 2d RPG using byond, alot of it seems simular to the MUD terminology. Didn't know if anyone on here has used it or not, or something simular..

hope to integrate something like it into another work in progress:

http://www.kingdomofyet.webs.com

I'm unsure about hosting an online multiplayer like that and wanted to know if anyone had any advice as well..
24 Mar, 2009, Zeno wrote in the 2nd comment:
IIRC, BYOND used to be a MUD system at one point.
24 Mar, 2009, Jhypsy Shah wrote in the 3rd comment:
Zeno said:
IIRC, BYOND used to be a MUD system at one point.

is it still considered a mud?
24 Mar, 2009, Zeno wrote in the 4th comment:
Not that it matters. But I don't think BYOND labels their system as a MUD anymore.
24 Mar, 2009, Jhypsy Shah wrote in the 5th comment:
just curious.

How much space do ya think I would need to host a small 2d game using byond as an online multiplayer with a small player base?
24 Mar, 2009, Zeno wrote in the 6th comment:
I thought BYOND hosted their own games?

I doubt it would be more than a few hundred Mb.
24 Mar, 2009, Cratylus wrote in the 7th comment:
Jhypsy Shah said:
just curious.

How much space do ya think I would need to host a small 2d game using byond as an online multiplayer with a small player base?

http://www.byond.com/developer/forum/
24 Mar, 2009, Fizban wrote in the 8th comment:
Zeno said:
Not that it matters. But I don't think BYOND labels their system as a MUD anymore.

Meh, whether they label it or not they are by definition MUDs. WoW is a MUD too, so are Guild Wars, Everquets, etc.
24 Mar, 2009, Jhypsy Shah wrote in the 9th comment:
Zeno said:
I thought BYOND hosted their own games?

I doubt it would be more than a few hundred Mb.

I have a vista/ router/ firewall trouble..might need to try an alternative.
24 Mar, 2009, elanthis wrote in the 10th comment:
Fizban said:
Meh, whether they label it or not they are by definition MUDs. WoW is a MUD too, so are Guild Wars, Everquets, etc.

By that kind of logic, DOOM is an RPG, since in it you take on and play the role of a trained space marine. ;)
24 Mar, 2009, Jhypsy Shah wrote in the 11th comment:
..I'm wireless too from a router 40-60' away..I guess it's like trying to do this across the street from a coffee shop.

..and the closer ya get to the router, the more fierce the coyotes get..then there's a boss coyote guarding it ;)
24 Mar, 2009, Cratylus wrote in the 12th comment:
Jhypsy Shah said:
..I'm wireless too from a router 40-60' away..I guess it's like trying to do this across the street from a coffee shop.

..and the closer ya get to the router, the more fierce the coyotes get..then there's a boss coyote guarding it ;)

wat
24 Mar, 2009, Skol wrote in the 13th comment:
elanthis said:
Fizban said:

By that kind of logic, DOOM is an RPG, since in it you take on and play the role of a trained space marine. ;)

It totally is an RPG, I used to scream when they jumped out IRL and everything! And I'd look behind doors, that game used to freak me the hell out ;p Hehehehe.
24 Mar, 2009, Ssolvarain wrote in the 14th comment:
The client Byond uses is a PoS, though. I can run some older 3d MMOs on a vista laptop with 1gb of ram, but that program bogged down and suffocated itself with lag.

It's an interesting idea, but I didn't like the interface much at all.
24 Mar, 2009, Mabus wrote in the 15th comment:
elanthis said:

Doom…
Was I the only one that used the "Barney Patch"?

There was something strangely satisfying about going after that purple dinosaur with a chainsaw. Good times.

:devil:
24 Mar, 2009, Jhypsy Shah wrote in the 16th comment:
Ssolvarain said:
The client Byond uses is a PoS, though. I can run some older 3d MMOs on a vista laptop with 1gb of ram, but that program bogged down and suffocated itself with lag.

It's an interesting idea, but I didn't like the interface much at all.

that is interesting, would ya recommend something else ..I wonder if a gaming router would help or maybe just trying it on dial-up. I gotta strange set-up, I'm in a cabin in the woods..probrably aren't many things as dangerous than a hillbilly noob
0.0/16