24 Jul, 2009, Igabod wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
so does everybody know how it was predicted that every household would have a video phone way back in the 80's? well I guess technology has finally caught up with the prediction cause I just saw an advertisement for a 40 dollar video phone.

http://www.8x8.com/equipment/residential... check it out. It looks pretty nice. If only it were here 20+ years ago when this technology would have been more impressive…
24 Jul, 2009, Guest wrote in the 2nd comment:
Amusing, because Cisco has had video phones better than these for some time now. Of course, they're IP phones, but hey.
24 Jul, 2009, Igabod wrote in the 3rd comment:
well this is just a standard telephone that you can plug into your standard phone jack, a bit different than the cisco phones and exactly what was predicted for 1980's era.
24 Jul, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 4th comment:
Igabod said:
well this is just a standard telephone that you can plug into your standard phone jack, a bit different than the cisco phones and exactly what was predicted for 1980's era.

Err. Not really…
The website you linked said:
The 8x8 VideoPhone delivers high-quality, full-motion video and clear, delay-free audio over any broadband (Cable or DSL) Internet connection.

It uses broadband; and will only work with DSL-enabled phone jacks.
24 Jul, 2009, quixadhal wrote in the 5th comment:
Still waiting for my flying car….
24 Jul, 2009, Hades_Kane wrote in the 6th comment:
Speaking of predictions that never came true:

http://www.collegehumor.com/picture:1916...
24 Jul, 2009, tphegley wrote in the 7th comment:
hah.
24 Jul, 2009, quixadhal wrote in the 8th comment:
Poor MJ.

I especially liked one of the interviews where this woman was talking about showing her kids pictures of him as a child, and they were confused because people don't just change colour when they grow up.
24 Jul, 2009, Grimble wrote in the 9th comment:
David Haley said:
It uses broadband; and will only work with DSL-enabled phone jacks.

Think you meant Ethernet port. I have no idea what a DSL-enabled phone jack is.
24 Jul, 2009, Cratylus wrote in the 10th comment:
Grimble said:
I have no idea what a DSL-enabled phone jack is.

DSL uses phone lines.

A dsl enabled line handles both voice and data.

A dsl modem plugs into that line and uses the data stuff. The jack itself is a regular RJ-11, like the phone uses.

-Crat
24 Jul, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 11th comment:
Grimble, I'm guessing you don't know what DSL is? Here's some info
24 Jul, 2009, Grimble wrote in the 12th comment:
David Haley said:
Grimble, I'm guessing you don't know what DSL is? Here's some info

Actually, I know exactly what it is. The 8x8 phone is not a DSL modem. It's an Ethernet device that plugs into a DSL modem (or cable modem, or Ethernet bridge, or router, etc). The RJ-11 jack itself has nothing to do with DSL, it's a physical connector to bridge the electrical signal on the line (between a POTS phone or DSL modem, and a line card in the CO).
24 Jul, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 13th comment:
It wasn't clear to me because I would have thought that a DSL-enabled jack is obvious enough if you know what DSL is. Anyhow, a DSL enabled jack is what Crat said: a phone jack for a line that is DSL-enabled. Forgive me for assuming it worked on the DSL line directly after the website said it talks over DSL. :rolleyes: The specs clarify this point, yes.
24 Jul, 2009, Ssolvarain wrote in the 14th comment:
$40?

My neighbor sells video phones and subscriptions for them for about $40 a year. I thought it was a pretty nice deal, but the phone itself was sort of bulky and a bit expensive ($120).

Ran off any internet connection, if I remember right. Still, this will be some cool technology to look forward to in the future.

"Who's in the bathroom?" "no one" "then why's it shut?" "uhhh…."
24 Jul, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 15th comment:

It took me several reads to figure out what you meant by this…
25 Jul, 2009, Igabod wrote in the 16th comment:
David Haley said:

call me stupid cause I still don't get it and I've read it 10 times now.

As for my comments being proven wrong… oops… guess I shoulda read that page a little bit more. Still kinda neat that we're finally catching up with the predictions. And the flying car is on it's way, there is already one available on the market but it's not exactly like what was predicted. It hovers like 15 feet above the ground and doesn't go very far before you have to refuel it. Then again the first flying airplane only went a couple hundred feet or something (I don't feel like looking up the actual number) so I'm still excited.
25 Jul, 2009, Ssolvarain wrote in the 17th comment:
Igabod said:
David Haley said:

call me stupid cause I still don't get it and I've read it 10 times now.

Person B in that dialogue has someone in the bathroom that they're not supposed to.
Such as a different guy/woman/whatever.
25 Jul, 2009, Igabod wrote in the 18th comment:
yeah I can make sense of the sentences perfectly fine, I'm just not getting the humor in it.

[edit to add] I just re-read your post and I get it now… it was very very dry humor though so I didn't get it at first. Maybe your sense of humor needs to hydrate or something. Or mine needs to dehydrate, not sure which one.
28 Jul, 2009, Bojack wrote in the 19th comment:
Well we are getting close to having self driving cars.. look at the new mercedes I believe it is, the one that can sense when you fall asleep.. when you arent paying attention to the road and will brake for you.. etc etc.
28 Jul, 2009, kiasyn wrote in the 20th comment:
Bojack said:
Well we are getting close to having self driving cars.. look at the new mercedes I believe it is, the one that can sense when you fall asleep.. when you arent paying attention to the road and will brake for you.. etc etc.

source?
0.0/27