07 Aug, 2009, Ssolvarain wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
I downloaded AreaEditor 1.34 but it's crashing every time I attempt to save the area. Are there any offline editors that are a bit more current and even, dare I say, supported still?
If there's not, no big deal. I'll just use a copy of quickmud and build off that.

Secondly, how compatible are the areas for diku->ROM? Does each progressive (or recessive? :P) derivative require a different area structure?

Aaand thirdly… Does anyone actually download areas, aside from those included with stock?

Oh, one last question. How does one deal with vnums for an area intended for public release?
07 Aug, 2009, flumpy wrote in the 2nd comment:
Ssolvarain said:
I downloaded AreaEditor 1.34 but it's crashing every time I attempt to save the area. Are there any offline editors that are a bit more current and even, dare I say, supported still?

I hear Igabod has some graph paper?

*ducks*
07 Aug, 2009, Ssolvarain wrote in the 3rd comment:
I hear you burn easily, but always pop back up.
07 Aug, 2009, Igabod wrote in the 4th comment:
1: I have no clue

2: I do believe you can put an area that was built on basic stock rom 2.x in quickmud and the later versions and it automatically changes the structure to fit. I may be wrong though, my memory has holes in it the size of Alaska.

3: I download them but since I'm not running a ROM at the moment I'm not using them. I have used downloaded areas in the past however.

4: Well, the best bet is to go with vnums that aren't used by the stock areas. Don't worry if the vnums you chose are the same as in a non-stock released area. I think there's a snippet in here somewhere for a script or command or something to change vnums for an area with one easy command. If there's not then I'm sure one of the coders here with more skill than myself can help you make one if you ask nicely enough.
07 Aug, 2009, Ssolvarain wrote in the 5th comment:
Hey, thanks for the info.
07 Aug, 2009, Igabod wrote in the 6th comment:
Any time, I like to feel useful on occasion :smile:
07 Aug, 2009, Kline wrote in the 7th comment:
This sounds like a good place to pitch AVAE. AVAE is a visual area editor for ACK! based games and is fully compatible with the last 4.3.1 ACK!MUD release. It's written entirely in Java and uses an XML (iirc) template to define exactly how to save area files, so if your MUD is slightly different, you just edit the template to reflect that and all is well!

It hasn't been developed for a few years but it may be a good starting place for you to look, or even cross into the dark side of ACK! games ;)

Also, if there are any promising Java devs out there looking for a project to adopt … AVAE needs a new maintainer, or even someone to adopt it and make it more usable for other bases, too! It even has a built in 'telnet mode' so you can walk around inside your new area how it would look in-game, among other neat features :)
07 Aug, 2009, flumpy wrote in the 8th comment:
Ssolvarain said:
I hear you burn easily, but always pop back up.

Touche..

and a bit ouch btw..
07 Aug, 2009, Ssolvarain wrote in the 9th comment:
Kline said:
ACK! based games

>.>
07 Aug, 2009, Hanaisse wrote in the 10th comment:
Have you asked over at Nick Gammon's site why the AreaEditor is crashing? He still supports it, he's just not updating it. It's a wonderful tool, and you can easily change vnums of an entire area to solve the other issue you mentioned.

Also, I found this thread that may offer an alternative: http://www.mudbytes.net/index.php?a=topi...

I download areas all the time, but I'm a Smaug gal :)
07 Aug, 2009, Ssolvarain wrote in the 11th comment:
Interesting, but a bit clunky. I'd feel more comfortable with standard OLC than reverting to rooting around in football field-long text documents :P

Also, I'll check out that site. When I'd stumbled across it, the download page made note that it was no longer supported.
07 Aug, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 12th comment:
It's not officially supported anymore, and new features are not being added, but he does a pretty good job of answering questions.
07 Aug, 2009, Ssolvarain wrote in the 13th comment:
Apparently other people had this problem and it "just started working right".

Maybe a reboot will do it some good.
0.0/13