22 Jan, 2010, Tibelis wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Hello. I am currently in the process of coding my own MUD, Tibelis, Age of the Intaron utilizing NakedMud as the base codebase. I've developed and coded quite a few features now and I would like to actually move the game from my local server to a live server. Therefore, I'm looking for some suggestions as to hosts I could potentially use that are reliable, cost efficient and are able to provide Python. This is going to be purely for development at the moment until we are ready for release. I am looking for paid hosting rather than free hosting.

All input would be greatly appreciated and I look forward to hearing back from you all! :smile:
22 Jan, 2010, Dean wrote in the 2nd comment:
This is the host I use and I highly recommend them.
22 Jan, 2010, Lyanic wrote in the 3rd comment:
Or… Linode
22 Jan, 2010, Tibelis wrote in the 4th comment:
Dean said:
This is the host I use and I highly recommend them.

Thanks Dean for the link. After looking through the website and all their info I've decided to go with them for now. Thanks very much!
22 Jan, 2010, jurdendurden wrote in the 5th comment:
Frostmud is not bad either for free hosting, and they also have paid hosting. The web based file management and other features are quite nice, just to give you another option.
22 Jan, 2010, Brinson wrote in the 6th comment:
If your mud grows eventually you'll probably want a VPS, for reduced price, and more control. I reccomend fivebean as a vps. www.fivebean.com

Linode is great, but kinda expensive.
23 Jan, 2010, Cratylus wrote in the 7th comment:
jurdendurden said:
Frostmud is not bad either for free hosting, and they also have paid hosting. The web based file management and other features are quite nice, just to give you another option.

23 Jan, 2010, KaVir wrote in the 8th comment:
jurdendurden said:
Frostmud is not bad either for free hosting, and they also have paid hosting.

It's worth noting, however, that their services are only offered to residents inside the USA and surrounding territories.
23 Jan, 2010, Lyanic wrote in the 9th comment:
There was a kitty in the background!! *claps ecstatically*
25 Jan, 2010, jurdendurden wrote in the 10th comment:

Odd… I'm using frostmud to this day…. And not to mention I think I signed up with him VERY shortly after the date he mentions in this video… yes looking back through my gmail I see that I signed up with him on November 27th. Right at two months ago.
25 Jan, 2010, jurdendurden wrote in the 11th comment:
After actually searching that video on Youtube I see that he had brought the server back up pretty shortly after shutting it down. Thank goodness. I've never had a single problem with Frostmud it's probably one of if not the best free mud hosts around.
25 Jan, 2010, Tyche wrote in the 12th comment:
I can't help but be amused by the ideas expressed:
1) Nobody could compete with one's free hosting and free support.
2) Closing up shop for lack of monetary support.
26 Jan, 2010, Cratylus wrote in the 13th comment:
Tyche said:
I can't help but be amused by the ideas expressed:
1) Nobody could compete with one's free hosting and free support.
2) Closing up shop for lack of monetary support.

I've found it useful to try out different free mud hosts for the purposes of testing the codebase
I maintain and also out of curiosity about how these hosts measure up. I found frostmud to be
unimpressive in terms of performance, but that wasn't so much of a turnoff. What really turned
me off was the frequent unannounced reboots, which uncannily coincided with new MOTD's that
told some fresh story about how poor the dude was and how hard it is to run a server and won't
you please send him some money.

AFAICT this server shutoff is just an amped-up version of that same schtick.

Apparently people have good feelings about his service, that's cool for them. I just found the
way he ran it to be disingenuous…because it's clear he actually does expect you to pay him,
he just doesn't make it an overt contract.

-Crat
http://lpmuds.net
26 Jan, 2010, David Haley wrote in the 14th comment:
Cratylus said:
What really turned
me off was the frequent unannounced reboots, which uncannily coincided with new MOTD's that
told some fresh story about how poor the dude was and how hard it is to run a server and won't
you please send him some money. <…> because it's clear he actually does expect you to pay him,
he just doesn't make it an overt contract.

Unfortunate that if somebody actually did pay, they'd also be subjected to the reboots…
26 Jan, 2010, KaVir wrote in the 15th comment:
Cratylus said:
I just found the way he ran it to be disingenuous…because it's clear he actually does expect you to pay him, he just doesn't make it an overt contract.

I've seen people run muds like that, too, so I share your sentiment.

But doesn't he explicitly have purchasable packages now? I figured the idea was to get people settled and happy with the service, so that once they expanded beyond the free option they'd be more likely to hang around and pay.
26 Jan, 2010, Lyanic wrote in the 16th comment:
Cratylus said:
I just found the way he ran it to be disingenuous…because it's clear he actually does expect you to pay him, he just doesn't make it an overt contract.

You gathered that from watching the video, eh? :wink:

Also: "Leave Frostmud guy alone! LEAVE HIM ALONE, I SAY!!"
26 Jan, 2010, Cratylus wrote in the 17th comment:
KaVir said:
Cratylus said:

But doesn't he explicitly have purchasable packages now? I figured the idea was to get people settled and happy with the service, so that once they expanded beyond the free option they'd be more likely to hang around and pay.

Could be he's rock solid now, I can only report on the experiences I had.

-Crat
26 Jan, 2010, lockewarrior wrote in the 18th comment:
Cratylus said:
KaVir said:
Cratylus said:

-Crat

I love of your use of the word 'ingenuous', even as it doesn't apply to 'frostmud guy'.

I'm rather ingenuous, to be honest.

oh, send me $100, I'll host you for life.
26 Jan, 2010, Cratylus wrote in the 19th comment:
lockewarrior said:
Cratylus said:
KaVir said:
Cratylus said:

-Crat

I love of your use of the word 'ingenuous', even as it doesn't apply to 'frostmud guy'.

I'm rather ingenuous, to be honest.

oh, send me $100, I'll host you for life.

we should switch avatars, just to freak people out
26 Jan, 2010, lockewarrior wrote in the 20th comment:
give it a while.. they gotta' get used to seeing mine, actually connect to the name…

let me gain some infamy, and then we have a play!
0.0/53