26 Jan, 2010, jurdendurden wrote in the 21st comment:
Votes: 0
I've never experienced any irregular reboots, or any at all that I could notice (and i've been digging through code at pretty much any given time during the 24 hours of the day). Of course, like you said, this could be the way he USED to host it, but who knows. Also the MOTD's he has (now at least), mention nothing about money, solely random proverbs and the like. I'm not trying to poke my head up this guy's butt, but he sure has done me solid so far. Now.. one site I will warn people to stay away from, is Vermax hosting. Unlike Frostmud, they are (apparently) a multiple "employee" company that DID give me frequent reboots, unannounced server downtime, and a lack of support through their famed ticket system. I did try to go through Zeno for a bit but after one PM through Mudbytes, (which he did respond to a couple of days later), I was apparently forgotten? Anyway no problems there as I am happy with Frostmud for the time being until I upgrade to a pay to play host (aka when I'm ready to go open for public play).
26 Jan, 2010, Brinson wrote in the 22nd comment:
I had a mud on frostmud for ~3 years, never experienced any real downtime and the reboots were..every six months? I didn't even notice them, usually.

I found him to be a very solid host. I'm glad he's back up.
03 Jun, 2010, frostmud wrote in the 23rd comment:
Well, seems we have a little thread going on about my services. :)

The donations were never required to get or maintain service. But if you paid as much as I pay to run this service and keep it free, you'd appreciate a kickback once in a while. Once again, I don't expect it but it really brightens my day to check my mail and find a few bucks in there and a thank you letter.

As for the video, I wish i could just erase that from the internet. During that time I was NOT doing well and I lost my home about a month later due to roommates that decided they weren't going to pay rent anymore. I relocated the server to a new home and life took a turn for the better. Now, I'm back and 10 times better than I was before.
03 Jun, 2010, Lobotomy wrote in the 24th comment:
frostmud said:
The donations were never required to get or maintain service.

Having formerly used the frostmud service in the past for quite a while (until that whole disgusting debacle) I can attest that while donations were not required to maintain service, your assertion that donations were not required to obtain service is an outright lie. I regret not having taken a screenshot or photo or somesuch of the old frostmud signup page and FAQ from back then to directly substantiate my claim, but nevertheless I vividly remember the requirement for a one-time minimum donation of $5 being directly and clearly stated on the site. Were it not a requirement I would never have even donated in the first place (as my income is and has been very meager for several years now), nor would I have ever mentioned this requirement multiple times when suggesting the frostmud service to people on TMC who were looking for a mud host - such as here, here, and here.

I can understand your desire to put the past behind you - especially when life issues drive you to say and/or do embarassing things - but if you expect to be taken seriously you should at least have the fortitude to own up to the absolute truth rather than trying to sugar coat things or tell half-truths to cover your ass.
03 Jun, 2010, David Haley wrote in the 25th comment:
It's easy enough to check with the internet archive.

The WayBack Machine said:
Q: How much do you charge per month for your services?
A: My services are provided free of charge, but I highly encourage regular donations.

Q: You claim to be a free server, but why do you charge 5 USD to get an account?
A: This is for two reasons, to help with the cost of operations and to ensure the safety of the users on the server by verifying the applicant does not have ill intentions towards the server and/or it's users.

:shrug:
10 Jun, 2010, frostmud wrote in the 26th comment:
Considering it's me at stake here, I have nothing to hide.

Yes, I did at one point require a 5 dollar donation. That was put into place for a while for several reasons:

1. I was not doing well financially.
2. I needed to slow down the amount of applicants I was getting because I was becoming terribly backlogged.
3. International account abuse became rampant, so I needed a way to filter out the crooks from legitimate users. Eventually, I realized that simply taking the time to personally interview the users via instant messaging worked just as well.

The 5 USD donation requirement was removed long ago and I still offer what I did back then, except I offer more disk space and I'm much more lenient about CPU/RAM usage. FrostMUD only offered 50MB back when I first launched. Now it's 200.

:) Thanks for the support!
10 Jun, 2010, Ssolvarain wrote in the 27th comment:
Lobotomy said:
Moral outrage!!!!!111oneoneone

…but if you expect to be taken seriously…

:)
11 Jun, 2010, Lobotomy wrote in the 28th comment:
frostmud said:
Considering it's me at stake here, I have nothing to hide.

Yes, I did at one point require a 5 dollar donation.

Why even bother lying about it in the first place then?

Ssolvarain said:
Hi there. I'm a troll.

Fixed your typo.
11 Jun, 2010, frostmud wrote in the 29th comment:
How did I lie about it? I never denied it.
11 Jun, 2010, David Haley wrote in the 30th comment:

+

=
what Lobo is getting on your case about.
11 Jun, 2010, Runter wrote in the 31st comment:
David Haley said:

+

=
what Lobo is getting on your case about.

Nitpicker.
11 Jun, 2010, frostmud wrote in the 32nd comment:
Ahh heh. Now I remember. That was simply a poorly stated sentance. All that matters now is I'm completely free. Alot of other hosts did the same.

Really, when it comes down to it. I don't think any user has any ground to complain about the quality of the service. (Not talking about the donation subject anymore.) Thats like a homeless man being given a free ham and cheese sandwich and then complaining that they didn't get any mayo. They are lucky they got something for free in the first place! All free hosts, myself included, run free shell hosts out of the goodness of our hearts. We don't have to do this, we chose to do this just to be nice. We work for the money to pay for the services and put our time and effort and skill into running our hosts. Some are a little shaky, and some of them sometimes ask for a few bucks here and there just to help alleviate the costs. Some make the mistake of trying mandatory donations and later revoke them so I say drop the subject and move on!

I'm a veteran at shell hosting and I am, in fact, the oldest, most stable and only lasting free shell host still around. I used to be belong to a group of shell admins back in 1999, and we all funneled out skills together to give our services for free. Out of all of them and even ones not related to us, I am the only one still around that has any service that is actually worth a crap. (Excluding the new ones that have popped up.) So, I say leave us alone and quit ripping on our past mistakes and statements and look at the present.
11 Jun, 2010, Ssolvarain wrote in the 33rd comment:
Lobotomy said:
Ssolvarain said:
Hi there. I'm a troll.

Fixed your typo.

I'm sorry to drag this anywhere off topic but… Lobotomy, there's something we need to clear up.

11 Jun, 2010, Orrin wrote in the 34th comment:
Ssolvarain said:
I'm sorry to drag this anywhere off topic but…

Then don't. Let's both you and Lobotomy move on please.
12 Jun, 2010, Lobotomy wrote in the 35th comment:
frostmud said:
Ahh heh. Now I remember. That was simply a poorly stated sentence.

Poorly stated? …alright then, do tell: How would that sentence look, then, if it'd been well stated from the start (or if you would've made any attempt to correct it since then)?

frostmud said:
Alot of other hosts did the same.

What "other hosts" are you talking about and what is it that they "did the same"?

frostmud said:
I don't think any user has any ground to complain about the quality of the service. (Not talking about the donation subject anymore.) Thats like a homeless man being given a free ham and cheese sandwich and then complaining that they didn't get any mayo. They are lucky they got something for free in the first place!

The notion that "nobody should complain about the quality of a free service" is, and always will be, bullshit. A service is still a service regardless of whether it's free or not, and the quality will always matter. For example, suppose that you have an email account with <insert free email service name here> and one day they just decide to permanently stop deliving your emails but they don't tell you about it. Be sure to never complain about it. After all, it's a free service and you don't have a right to complain about its quality, right?

frostmud said:
All free hosts, myself included, run free shell hosts out of the goodness of our hearts. We don't have to do this, we chose to do this just to be nice.

Free MUD hosts are not the only people doing a service to the MUD community for free and out of the goodness of their hearts; there are the users of said service who create the actual MUDs themselves. Those users, who pour their own time and effort into creating their MUD data, have a right to be concerned with whether or not the host they choose to entrust with the storage and/or running of their data is actually reliable and trustworthy. If you truly have a problem with that, then perhaps hosting MUDs for free isn't something you should be doing.
12 Jun, 2010, David Haley wrote in the 36th comment:
Lobotomy said:
Poorly stated? …alright then, do tell: How would that sentence look, then, if it'd been well stated from the start (or if you would've made any attempt to correct it since then)?

OK, I think we get it now.

Lobotomy said:
<snip>

What exactly are you trying to achieve here? Can't we just move on from this already?

The only comment I want to make is that if you trust a free host to give you enterprise-level data reliability, well, you get what you pay for and it's your own silly fault.
12 Jun, 2010, frostmud wrote in the 37th comment:
Holy shit. You really ARE a troll Lobo…

A couple things….

A: When i went down, i launched a retrieval server which enabled all users to obtain the final copy of ALL their data.

B: Second, I don't see where the fuck you get off complaining about a free host if they go down. WE pay to run it. Not you. We can do as we please.

C: Someone needs to lock this topic.
12 Jun, 2010, Cratylus wrote in the 38th comment:
frostmud, you seem to have misunderstood DH. His post wasn't meant to encourage you to double down.

I'll help you understand.

frostmud said:
Holy shit. You really ARE a troll Lobo…

Lobotomy is a lot of things. And sometimes Lobotomy and I disagree in vehement terms. Only
rarely is Lobotomy gratuitously harsh, and almost never, that I've seen, intentionally picking
on people just for the reaction. You are mistaken, sir.

frostmud said:
B: Second, I don't see where the fuck you get off complaining about a free host if they go down. WE pay to run it. Not you. We can do as we please.

Actually I think Lobotomy has illustrated very well exactly where anyone gets off doing this, and
I concur that it is a valid thing to do. Just because your service is free doesn't mean it's immune
to judgment. That is true of your server, this site, and plenty of free things in the world. It seems
important to you that you are the person that pays for it. If that is a problem, that is your problem,
not Lobotomy's.

frostmud said:
C: Someone needs to lock this topic.

It used to be that frank exchanges of views here generated thread locks. That is, happily, less the case now.

I agree with DH that Lobotomy can give it a rest. This is because Lobotomy is right, and does not
need to prove the point further. That does not mean you are somehow righter for Lobotomy
having been overzealous in presenting the case that your promotions have been deceptive.

They have been deceptive.

-Crat
http://lpmuds.net
12 Jun, 2010, frostmud wrote in the 39th comment:
I guess i'm just overreacting to this…and i was just reminded of something…

Crat, i've seen your posts regarding what you thought of my service all over the net. And frankly, you had an account back when i was far less than stable. And i'd be willing to reactivate your account.

I've made alot of screwups running this server but i finally found a system that works by taking feedback and advice from my users and not just running it how i felt it should be ran. I made mistakes, ones that (via the ever expanding internet) will never go away thanks to archives. but what matters now is what i do. i give a now bullshit free and completely fine-line-print service. i just say, and quoting the guy earlier who said "leave the frostmud guy alone i say" just let me run my server and give everything out and stop putting me as the subject of matyrdom.
12 Jun, 2010, Cratylus wrote in the 40th comment:
I appreciate your efforts to improve and I sincerely wish you and your guests the best.

-Crat
http://lpmuds.net
20.0/53