02 Mar, 2010, lnewlfe wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Im currently building a -large- forest in a rom based mud, your shadowstorm actually lol. The thing is, when the area could potentialy have over 5000 rooms, it seems easier to just build say 50-100 rooms and have it somehow create either random exits to emulate a 5000 room forest with a set few rooms for entrances/exits or else randomly generate the rooms with a set desc for them, along with a randomized pattern of connected exits and resets. 95% of the rooms would be connected N S E W as in a real forest anyways….

I know this is a confusing idea, im also CNC programming ATM so my brain is adrift with different things lol. Still i hope the general idea of what i am trying to get across is coming threw to you, and possibly a solution to my problem…..
03 Mar, 2010, Idealiad wrote in the 2nd comment:
Why do you think you need 5000 rooms? A 10 x 10 forest is pretty big in mud terms.

In any case I wouldn't make a single area that size, better IMO to create four or five and link them, even if they're largely the same.
03 Mar, 2010, Tyche wrote in the 3rd comment:
You might want to check into wilderness code. Maybe something in the code repository.
03 Mar, 2010, Asylumius wrote in the 4th comment:
IMHO,

Even forest areas should be limited to a size that allows every single room to have a slightly unique description. When I used to write areas, I always tried to make sure that every room, even in forests and other wild places, had a description that updated the player about the scenery, wildlife, landmarks, etc. Even if it was just putting in a few extra descriptions for some cool plants or a hollowed out tree stump with something in it or a fluffy bunny romping around.

That, or make all or part of the forest a maze. One approach I've taken before is building a forest area with a few static paths through it and then encapsulating it in a maze of random-exit rooms so that the player is encouraged to look/scan and figure out the path.

If that isn't your cup of tea, I'd definitely suggest a wilderness system like Tyche mentioned.

Wandering through a 70x70 square of carbon copy rooms just doesn't seem very fun, especially if it isn't packed with neat stuff to interact with.
03 Mar, 2010, lnewlfe wrote in the 5th comment:
Aye tis the problem i face. I fully agree with both of you. The world is actually one giant forest/jungle with select human settlements scattered in the woods. The mud is based of the Xanth series by piers Anthony. Players who never actually read the books are not effected if the area is too small, as they have no concept of how the series describes the Woods. Unfortunity there are many people who HAVE read the series….

Do you know of any scripted software that works with a ROM based mud/OLC that helps generate rooms? I want to put in a proper desc, but it is a pain in the arse in OLC/hard coding…..
03 Mar, 2010, lnewlfe wrote in the 6th comment:
Looked into the wilderness code, not a made idea for a basic set of desc's. Also into the Gridmaker for generating the rooms. Thanks for the pointer for where to start looking :)

Have a good one folks.
03 Mar, 2010, Asylumius wrote in the 7th comment:
It sounds like what might work best for you is writing a custom script (possibly based on wilderness code) that generates area files for you one time. Then, you can use the OLC to tweak everything.

You could probably even install one of those "auto dig" snippets that lets you walk around to dig rooms and then write a zMUD or TinTin script to make a barebones/skeleton area with stock descriptions, etc.

Once that's done you can start filling in the important pieces, laying out paths, etc.
Random Picks
0.0/7