18 Dec, 2006, kiasyn wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Hey guys.

I often find myself struggling to figure out what to license my software under (original software, none of this codebase crap.)

Ideally I'm looking for something that'll let people modify it for personal uses. To redistribute they would have to notify me. (NOT ask for permisson, just notify.)

Any recommendations?

Kiasyn
18 Dec, 2006, Scandum wrote in the 2nd comment:
What if your email address becomes inactive or you bump into a tree at 80 miles an hour? People could no longer notify you in that case and technically could no longer legally distribute derivative work.
18 Dec, 2006, kiasyn wrote in the 3rd comment:
By that point I'll be past caring. :P
18 Dec, 2006, Cratylus wrote in the 4th comment:
You're effectively saying that what you want to happen is
for people to be unable to comply with your license after you die or change ISP,
and so nobody can distribute your work or its derivatives any more at that time.

Is that what you want?

-Crat
http://lpmuds.net
18 Dec, 2006, kiasyn wrote in the 5th comment:
how about 'make a best effort to notify me at the address provided' :]
18 Dec, 2006, Caius wrote in the 6th comment:
In that case, what's the point of a license at all? And could you even call that a license?
19 Dec, 2006, Guest wrote in the 7th comment:
Why not just slap an MIT license on it? Or write something up yourself? A license doesn't need to be overly complicated. Especially if you're not asking much to begin with.
19 Dec, 2006, Conner wrote in the 8th comment:
Given what I'm reading here, Kiasyn, I'd go with Samson's suggestion: just write something loose and easy that says something to the effect that you're free to use and distribute this software provided that you send an email with the following information to this address, even if it bounces…
19 Dec, 2006, Scandum wrote in the 9th comment:
You could consider a license that looks like the following:

scandumisthegreatest.txt
Yo. If you redistribute this code you must include this file unmodified, meaning you shouldn't change the filename or the crap inside it. You must also send an email to scandum@isthegreatest.com with info regarding where I can get the release, if it bounces consider it your lucky day, if it doesn't I'll come check out your release. If I somehow find out that you didn't comply with this totally sweet license I'll verbally harass you till I get bored of doing so, which so far has yet to happen. Smoochies - Scandum the Greatest.
0.0/9