01 Jul, 2010, Runter wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
That's interesting since a lot of people complain that ubuntu includes too much as it is.
01 Jul, 2010, Mudder wrote in the 2nd comment:
JohnnyStarr said:
BTW, I do love Linux Mint. I've been using it as my main OS for about 2 months now. What are you going with GNOME or KDE?

GNOME. As far as I know (I am not very clear on it) but GNOME is the most "windows" like while KDE isn't? *shrug* Which do you use?

David Haley said:
Mint is a derivative of Ubuntu, right? What's its advantage over normal Ubuntu?

After my search through many heated forum debates I found that the main difference is that since Mint is a derivative of Ubuntu a mint update is sent a month after an Ubuntu update. Apparently this means many bugs are fixed before it's released to Mint and also Mint does a lot more stability testing.

Mint does not come with a lot of the fluff that Ubuntu comes with, like games and such. Mint also comes media ready, with all codecs and such already installed.

Also almost everyone agrees that Ubuntu is slow while Mint is fast.
01 Jul, 2010, David Haley wrote in the 3rd comment:
After my search through many heated forum debates I found that the main difference is that since Mint is a derivative of Ubuntu a mint update is sent a month after an Ubuntu update. Apparently this means many bugs are fixed before it's released to Mint and also Mint does a lot more stability testing.

I'd be surprised if Mint did a "lot more stability testing". It sounds like they're free-riding on the normal Ubuntu testing and bug fixing. :smile:

Mint does not come with a lot of the fluff that Ubuntu comes with, like games and such. Mint also comes media ready, with all codecs and such already installed.

Which is technically illegal, which is why Ubuntu doesn't want to do it.
BTW, you don't need to install the games in Ubuntu…

Also almost everyone agrees that Ubuntu is slow while Mint is fast.

"Almost everyone"?
01 Jul, 2010, JohnnyStarr wrote in the 4th comment:
GNOME is the classic GUI for Linux. KDE is really a community that works at providing a user friendly GUI that has more of a Windows
style than GNOME. I prefer GNOME because my first Linux distro was Slackware GNOME.
01 Jul, 2010, Mudder wrote in the 5th comment:
Oo? Truly? I was mislead! I'll check out KDE.

Is there any tradeoffs I should be aware of? Like software incompatibility or something else?
01 Jul, 2010, JohnnyStarr wrote in the 6th comment:
David said:
BTW, you don't need to install the games in Ubuntu…

Really? Does this have to do with the codec licenses? Maybe you could explain a bit more?
01 Jul, 2010, Mudder wrote in the 7th comment:
Everyone on the forums agreed that Mint was faster and more stable. Even people who were reviewing it (not on the debate forums)

I could google around and find it but I'm sick of angry forums for a bit. ;)

EDIT: Yes, it's due the the licenses. Apparently it's only illegal in the USA and Japan and they offer "Universal" distributions that aren't illegal if you want them.
01 Jul, 2010, Mudder wrote in the 8th comment:
Apparently if you uninstall a lot of Ubuntu stuff by hand then you have trouble with the update manager. (This is not first hand knowledge, mind you)
01 Jul, 2010, David Haley wrote in the 9th comment:
Mudder said:
Everyone on the forums agreed that Mint was faster and more stable. Even people who were reviewing it (not on the debate forums)

The Mint forums, you mean? :wink:

JohnnyStarr said:
David said:

Really? Does this have to do with the codec licenses? Maybe you could explain a bit more?

Yes, it has to do with the codec licenses: technically people who distribute an mp3 codec need a license from somebody to do so, and similarly for other audio/video codecs.
01 Jul, 2010, Mudder wrote in the 10th comment:
David Haley said:
Mudder said:

The Mint forums, you mean? :wink:

Naw, I did slightly more searching than that. :P
01 Jul, 2010, Runter wrote in the 11th comment:
Really? I don't see how you could ever have "too much" or too many features. Are you talking about being too flashy?

I'm talking about it being a heavier installation than Debian. Not about it having more features per se. Specifically about it having a lot of things installed by default. I've heard of a number of people using a raw debian install for this very reason. This hasn't bothered me really. Personally, I like ubuntu.
01 Jul, 2010, David Haley wrote in the 12th comment:
Mudder said:
Apparently if you uninstall a lot of Ubuntu stuff by hand then you have trouble with the update manager. (This is not first hand knowledge, mind you)

It's kind of stupid to uninstall something by hand when you can uninstall it with the package manager…

I know it's not your intention but you're kind of spreading FUD here. :sad:
01 Jul, 2010, Runter wrote in the 13th comment:
Uninstall something by hand == just delete files? :p

That pretty much screws up any software installation system…including the one in windows.
01 Jul, 2010, Mudder wrote in the 14th comment:
This is where I got that.

Random Dude on Mint Forums said:
Yes, you can remove the "ubuntu-desktop" meta package if you want to then be able to remove a lot of the "poot" (such as those games) that Ubuntu installs by default. But then when you go to use the "Update Manager" to upgrade to a newer version of Ubuntu, you get an error message telling you that the Update Manager can't figure out which version of Ubuntu you're using, because that meta package has been uninstalled, and therefore can't upgrade your system. I had to reinstall that meta-package (and all the "poot" that I had meticulously excised by hand) just to get the Update Manager to do a "running update" of the newest Ubuntu version. And of course, there were no docs that warned me about this when I was removing that meta-package to begin with.

Apparently "by hand" was never mentioned. What's that game called, telephone? :redface:
01 Jul, 2010, quixadhal wrote in the 15th comment:
I dunno about Gnome being a "classic GUI". Gnome and KDE are both shiny newcomers as far as I'm concerned. If you want "classic" with X11, use fvwm. It evolved out of twm, which was popular on the Sun workstations because their native Openlook was bloated enough to make Enlightenment/Gnome seem fast.

And yes, don't mix hand-installs and package-managed installs unless you want future pain.
01 Jul, 2010, JohnnyStarr wrote in the 16th comment:
quixadhal said:
I dunno about Gnome being a "classic GUI". Gnome and KDE are both shiny newcomers as far as I'm concerned. If you want "classic" with X11, use fvwm. It evolved out of twm, which was popular on the Sun workstations because their native Openlook was bloated enough to make Enlightenment/Gnome seem fast.
And yes, don't mix hand-installs and package-managed installs unless you want future pain.

Well, I see that "classic" was poorly chosen word. I guess it's relative because I first dabbled with Slackware in 1999 when I was 16. I liken it to a 20 year old calling a 69' Chevy Nova "classic", as where my Dad would call a '39 Chevy Deluxe a classic.
02 Jul, 2010, Davion wrote in the 17th comment:
David Haley said:
Yes, it has to do with the codec licenses: technically people who distribute an mp3 codec need a license from somebody to do so, and similarly for other audio/video codecs.

It also has to do with location! Location, location, location! Some countries in the world do not recognize software patents (eg. Ireland where Mint Linux is distro'd from). So, where it may be against, say, US Law, it is not necessarily the same else where in the world.
02 Jul, 2010, Runter wrote in the 18th comment:
Davion said:
David Haley said:

It also has to do with location! Location, location, location! Some countries in the world do not recognize software patents (eg. Ireland where Mint Linux is distro'd from). So, where it may be against, say, US Law, it is not necessarily the same else where in the world.

Well, yes. You can say the same thing for practically any law. Including murder.
02 Jul, 2010, kiasyn wrote in the 19th comment:
JohnnyStarr said:
I liken it to a 20 year old calling a 69' Chevy Nova "classic", as where my Dad would call a '39 Chevy Deluxe a classic.

wat
02 Jul, 2010, KaVir wrote in the 20th comment:
Runter said:
Davion said:

Well, yes. You can say the same thing for practically any law. Including murder.

You could, but such a poor comparison would undermine any point you might be trying to make.

There's no universally accepted definition of a software patent, and there's considerable debate and disagreement over what they should cover, and whether they should even be granted at all. Personally I'm strongly against software patents, and was glad to see the Software Patent Directive overwhelmingly rejected by the European Parliament a few years ago - although some software still manages to get indirectly patented, it could have been a lot worse.
0.0/47