18 Aug, 2010, Rudha wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Out of curiosity, the extended MudBytes variables, or any other ones for that matter, are there crawlers that really account for variables not in the MSSP standard definition? I ask this because Im fairly ignorant of the crawler end of things, and I'm wondering if it's worth adding more than token support for these extended variables.

Maya/Rudha
18 Aug, 2010, KaVir wrote in the 2nd comment:
MudBytes uses a few of the fields, and MudStats uses the player count, but I think that's about it.

Having said that, once you support MSSP there's no real effort involved in adding more fields.
18 Aug, 2010, Rudha wrote in the 3rd comment:
Nah there really isn't, don't get me wrong. I'm just wondering if its worth the time to take apart the "hard-coded" list of variables into an array or something, or if its fine to just leave it as it is. I guess I'll probably be okay just leaving it.

Maya/Rudha
19 Aug, 2010, Davion wrote in the 4th comment:
MudBytes uses these additional values to display additonaly info about your MUD in attempts to more accurately categorize and sort different MUDs. If you feel that including this additional information doesn't enhance the ability to more accurately determine the type of MUD you're running, then don't bother.
19 Aug, 2010, Rudha wrote in the 5th comment:
Um, Davion, when I view that page I get:

QSF Portal has exited with an error!

Undefined variable: codebase (in evaluated code)
Notice [8]:
The error was reported on line 1148 of /home/****/mblive/func/mudlist.php

Code:
1145 else
1146 $tClass = "tablelight";
1148 $mud_string .= eval($this->template("MUDLIST_CATITEM") );
1149 }
1150 }
1151 else

Backtrace:

File: /home/****/mblive/func/mudlist.php(1148) : eval()'d code
Line: 6
Call: See above for details.

File: /home/****/mblive/func/mudlist.php
Line: 1148
Call: eval()

File: /home/****/mblive/func/mudlist.php
Line: 93
Call: mudlist->display_mssp()

File: /home/****/mblive/index.php
Line: 176
Call: mudlist->execute()

I think its broked D:

Maya/Rudha
19 Aug, 2010, Davion wrote in the 6th comment:
Err, you were using an outdated, incomplete skin. Problem fixed ;)
19 Aug, 2010, Scandum wrote in the 7th comment:
Davion said:
MudBytes uses these additional values to display additonaly info about your MUD in attempts to more accurately categorize and sort different MUDs. If you feel that including this additional information doesn't enhance the ability to more accurately determine the type of MUD you're running, then don't bother.

Looks like a small subset of the 'official' variables, though admittedly the more important ones. Creation year might be worth adding as it'll make for a fairly nice cloud.

I don't think extended variable sets will be important untill TMS or TMC add a MSSP crawler, and I don't think they will since MSSP makes it easy for competing sites to setup a database. I'm not sure what is holding back the smaller mud listings from adding MSSP, if creating a crawler is the problem I can probably help out as it's relatively easy to write one using TinTin++.
19 Aug, 2010, KaVir wrote in the 8th comment:
Scandum said:
I don't think extended variable sets will be important untill TMS or TMC add a MSSP crawler, and I don't think they will since MSSP makes it easy for competing sites to setup a database.

I suspect it's more due to the limited support by muds - although this creates a vicious circle, as many muds aren't going to bother adding MSSP if it's not used by listing sites.

In the case of TMC, it would also raise some interesting questions about the auditing process. If the listing data was automatically updated directly from the mud, then any corrections would need to be done by the mud - and the revised fields would then be used by the other listing sites. In effect, the TMC audits would impact all MSSP-based mud listing sites.

Scandum said:
I'm not sure what is holding back the smaller mud listings from adding MSSP, if creating a crawler is the problem I can probably help out as it's relatively easy to write one using TinTin++.

Why not create your own fully automated mud list as an example? I know you've already got the crawler list, but that only updates when a new mud is added, and it's not very friendly to search through.
19 Aug, 2010, Scandum wrote in the 9th comment:
KaVir said:
Why not create your own fully automated mud list as an example? I know you've already got the crawler list, but that only updates when a new mud is added, and it's not very friendly to search through.

I already got too many projects. I could create stubs for most MSSP muds on Mudpedia as all the categorization information is available.
0.0/9