24 Sep, 2010, thaolen wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Hello, I've noticed for a while now that NM codebase by default shows a small area of the Mud clients window. How can I make it larger?

thanks

Screen shot
24 Sep, 2010, Rudha wrote in the 2nd comment:
If you're not using format_string you can make lines as long as you want - just remember that it's going to start looking bad on people with smaller windows unless you accomodate that.

Maya/Rudha
25 Sep, 2010, thaolen wrote in the 3rd comment:
thanks Rudha
Is format_string in pymodules? Is that a function?
25 Sep, 2010, Rudha wrote in the 4th comment:
mud.format_string

You would do yourself a favour to read the "Python reference manual" it has all of the stock functions.

Maya/Rudha
25 Sep, 2010, thaolen wrote in the 5th comment:
Ok, I will thanks
25 Sep, 2010, chrisd wrote in the 6th comment:
Let me just say that changing this behaviour is a relatively finicky task and should be fairly low priority.

Some MUD clients do not automatically wrap text, meaning that lines longer than 80 (or 79, I can never remember) characters will simply be cut off on those clients. This is why NM wraps outgoing text at 80 characters.

To address this you could modify mud.format_string() (in C) to simply not wrap text. Alternatively, you could remove every call to mud.format_string(), so that outgoing text simply isn't formatted.

The best solution is to use something called "Negotiate About Window Size" (NAWS). This is a Telnet sub-protocol that allows the server to ask the client how tall/wide it is. You can then use that information to wrap outgoing text to the width of user's client (80 characters by default).

You could also allow users to choose whether they want their text wrapped by the server or not (wrap by default).
25 Sep, 2010, Rudha wrote in the 7th comment:
NAWS is probably beyond the scope of what Thaolen can implement right now, without meaning to be disrespectful. Barring that: You know you can just do something like LINELENGTH x and then just pass that X to format_string right? It is NOT hard. It is not hard at all. It is in fact probably the easiest of any of the player configuration options I implemented.

Maya/Rudha
25 Sep, 2010, thaolen wrote in the 8th comment:
Yeah I haven't attempted it yet, but I have thought that my mush client was the culprit or Gnome Mud client. Other muds I have played on have full screen, not all have this. You are right it wouldn't be a very good idea to take the wrap-text off. I would have to make a larger ASCII title too
25 Sep, 2010, thaolen wrote in the 9th comment:
NAWS is probably beyond the scope of what Thaolen can implement right now, without meaning to be disrespectful. Barring that: You know you can just do something like LINELENGTH x and then just pass that X to format_string right? It is NOT hard. It is not hard at all. It is in fact probably the easiest of any of the player configuration options I implemented.

Maya/Rudha

Then I will do that :)
25 Sep, 2010, hollis wrote in the 10th comment:
chrisd said:
he best solution is to use something called "Negotiate About Window Size" (NAWS).

NAWS is working on my mud and will be part of the next official release
25 Sep, 2010, David Haley wrote in the 11th comment:
You could also allow users to choose whether they want their text wrapped by the server or not (wrap by default).

I think that this is the better interim solution – I find it somewhat rude when the MUD insists that my screen is only 80 characters wide even though I might have 120 (or whatever), and therefore I have to have a taller window than I might like because everything is getting prematurely wrapped.
25 Sep, 2010, Rudha wrote in the 12th comment:
My mud has CONFIG [LINELENGTH|WRAPWIDTH] [integer] to set the length that things get wrapped to - if you set it to 0, this disables wrapping. I've noticed format_string gets a little buggy with non-wrapped strings, though.

Maya/Rudha
25 Sep, 2010, thaolen wrote in the 13th comment:
My mud has CONFIG [LINELENGTH|WRAPWIDTH] [integer] to set the length that things get wrapped to - if you set it to 0, this disables wrapping. I've noticed format_string gets a little buggy with non-wrapped strings, though.

Maya/Rudha

And this is in nm/src directory?
25 Sep, 2010, Rudha wrote in the 14th comment:
That's something I wrote specifically for my mud, as a suggestion of what you could do.

Maya/Rudha
0.0/14