15 Nov, 2010, Zeno wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
I'm trying to use Google Groups to search through old (1980's) Usenet posts for a game called Phantasia. To be specific, the earliest post where the game was released. But I'm having issues. For example, here is a result in the 80's sorted by r... but when I click sort by date it returns no results?

The game author is Edward Estes but it lists 6 posts from July there and when you click the link, nothing comes up.

The earliest release I can find is this, but clearly not the first release:
http://groups.google.com/group/net.sourc...
15 Nov, 2010, Lyanic wrote in the 2nd comment:
I found a couple Usenet posts on Phantasia from 1984, but they don't appear to be the "earliest" posts, either.

Are you looking for Phantasia 1.0? Or some beta release of it? Or just the release of version 3.0?

Edit: This is the earliest one I could find: http://groups.google.com/group/net.sourc...
15 Nov, 2010, Zeno wrote in the 3rd comment:
Earliest possible, so I can research the history of it. I found a site saying it was made in 1986, but clearly that's wrong and I'm trying to track down correct info.

I see that post you found has a different user profile for the author. It shows him making 11 posts in Aug '83, but again clicking that link brings up nothing. :/
16 Nov, 2010, Scandum wrote in the 4th comment:
Google Groups' search by date support isn't working properly, and profile links typically don't work either.

I had a quick look around, but can't find anything earlier than what Lyanic linked to. Wikipedia requires secondary sources, so technically you can't use a primary source, but I doubt anyone's going to contest it.
16 Nov, 2010, Tyche wrote in the 5th comment:
Scandum said:
Google Groups' search by date support isn't working properly, and profile links typically don't work either.

Not only that, I was banned for being a bot. It seems that clicking next page too regularly while searching through pages of posts will cause you to be identified as a bot. The ban lasted at least a day. I spent some time looking for an alternative usenet archive, but had no luck.
0.0/5