23 Nov, 2010, Ceafin wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
I have been looking for some working (out-of-the-box or real close to it) versions of a MUD codebase from The Forest's Edge by Alan Button (Greyclaw). I had found several from Seltha's site; however, whether it is a fault of mine or not, none work out of box. Wasn't looking to clone it per s, but just really wanted to use the code as I really enjoyed playing and being a builder in said code.

Any clues as to some working or fresher distros of the TFE codebase out there?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! :smile:
23 Nov, 2010, Zeno wrote in the 2nd comment:
What do you mean don't work out of the box? Perhaps newer versions of a compiler are more strict and causing compile errors.
28 Nov, 2010, Ceafin wrote in the 3rd comment:
Yes, I'm pretty certain most (if not all) of them are not compiling due to their age, and the newer versions of gcc just wont let some things slide anymore. This is why I was wondering if anyone had any news on any fresher distributions of the codebase out there.

I am currently combing through the handful of old archives I have received through a legacy player named Seltha; however, my experience with older C is even less than my hobbyist-level experience with C++/C#. So admittedly, I often feel that I am reading right over things that appear to "should work" but just don't. When I worked on MUD code in the past it was very small iterations of change on an already healthy source, so it was easier to make changes and fix bugs that I myself might have created. Coming into someone else's code without help (or any comments inline) makes for a difficult time to see the big picture.

I found newer versions of mud sources on this site, so I thought two things: 1) If anyone has come around the codebase I was looking for; and 2) If other codebases are being refreshed for more later compilers, would anyone know of a fresher version of the source I'm looking for.

It just seems difficult to gain any info on this family of MUDs that sprang up from the original "The Forest's Edge" mud, as most individuals I have come across are rather snippy and secretive about where they got the code, and what their doing to improve it.

Maybe I am just nave, but I thought asking in a community of coders or MUD enthusiasts might garnish me a more fruitful (if not a lesstroll-like) response.
28 Nov, 2010, Zeno wrote in the 4th comment:
I've never heard of the MUD or codebase, so I can't give more helpful info.

If the post the errors here, I'm sure we could help. Or you could find a host with older versions of gcc (most MUD hosts provide multiple gcc versions).
28 Nov, 2010, Ceafin wrote in the 5th comment:
Thanks. I'll definitely post some specific errors once I get them whittled down a bit more. :smirk:
0.0/5