27 Nov, 2010, dogma7 wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Try this text based multiplayer strategy war game based on civilizations around the year 1000 ad.

http://www.new1000ad.com
27 Nov, 2010, jurdendurden wrote in the 2nd comment:
That link takes me to a blank page…
28 Nov, 2010, dogma7 wrote in the 3rd comment:
Link works fine for me. People with firefox have had a few problems but trying to get that fixed.
29 Nov, 2010, jurdendurden wrote in the 4th comment:
I'm using K-Meleon… but it's built on Mozilla's rendering engine, which could have something to do with it. For the record though, it does work for me now. :)
18 Dec, 2010, dogma7 wrote in the 5th comment:
Well some people do have trouble with firefox but glad it finally worked. :)
29 Jan, 2011, dogma7 wrote in the 6th comment:
Hey guys, I just added a few more options to improve playability and to help learn game alot faster. Stop by and create your free account and give it a tr?

http://www.new1000ad.com
29 Jan, 2011, RoFAdmin wrote in the 7th comment:
The entire layout is fubared for me. Yes im using firefox. I also have no-script installed which is blocking the 7 million external sites you have linked through your page running some sort of script.

Couple suggestions from someone who does websites for a living (me)

1) You should design your site to work in firefox properly, and make work arounds for IE. IE is not standards compliant and designing it for IE means its more then likely gonna at very best look slightly off in every other browser, and at worst be completely unusable in them. Im of course assuming you designed it for IE since you said people using Firefox are having problems.

2) This one is more of a personal preference as others will say its totally ok. You landing page for your site should NOT include externally linked crap. I don't care if its facebook, twitter, digg, or anything else. And ideally i would try to avoid any sort of un-needed javascript or anything else going on on the landing page. Why? I dont know you, i dont know your site, your servers security or anything else. I dont need to get a virus from your website because i visited it, which is why i run no-script, and alot of people do run it. So what happens? I go to a site, half the site doesnt work cause all forms of scripting are blocked and i have to decide if im willing to risk starting to allow scripts to run on that site. Since your essentially a nobody website to me, you know what happens? I say screw it and close the window never to return.

3) If your gonna have all sorts of cross linked stuff in your site and on your main page, then you would do well to make sure the site degrades well when all scripting is turned off. Cause as i said as i view your site right now, its completely FUBARED. Partially because of firefox, and partially cause of no-script.

Dont take any of the suggestions the wrong way. Im just giving some advice that might help you get a few more players, cause if you have people like me going to your site. They never bother to go past the first page let alone create an account and play.
30 Jan, 2011, Ssolvarain wrote in the 8th comment:
If you bothered to enable the website and googleapis in noscript, you'd be able to see the website normally. This fairly common thing with noscript.
30 Jan, 2011, RoFAdmin wrote in the 9th comment:
I know i would. Doesn't mean i want to enable google just to see your site properly. Or that i want to even enable your website to run scripts on my computer to see it properly either. I think you were missing the third point, which if followed would moot the other two. Make the website degrade nicer, thats all.
30 Jan, 2011, Ssolvarain wrote in the 10th comment:
RoFAdmin said:
Doesn't mean i want to enable google just to see your site properly. Or that i want to even enable your website to run scripts on my computer to see it properly either.

So as a professional website dude, you recommend people disable all scripts on every page ever? You have some sort of trust issues with flash and java? Did they… do something to you?
30 Jan, 2011, RoFAdmin wrote in the 11th comment:
No, as a professional i recognize the fact that not everyone is gonna be viewing the website with all scripts enabled, or pat of the scripts enabled, or any of the scripts enabled. And that they may not want to enable all/part/or any of them to simply have the site of some no name game run by so no name person display properly. Now dont take the that im calling you or your game no names badly or harshly. Its simply the truth. You arent a google, AOL, Facebook, Blizzard, Activision, etc etc etc. People dont know who you are, or what your game is, or that you or your games site are trustworthy. Some people will blindly enable stuff till your site looks right, other people wont.

Where did i say people should disable all scripts on every web page ever? Thats right, nowhere. You are just getting defensive by the fact you are taking my advice of your lovingly crafted webpage as bashing, which is not the case.

The fact still remains not everyone is going to view the webpage as you would like them to initially, and if they arent viewing it just as you would like them to your site becomes a garbled mess that is obnoxious to look at an a pain to use. They now have to decide if they want to enable all those scripts to view your site or if they should just continue on their way across the web to another site.

Now as hard as it is for you to imagine for you apparently, not everyone is gonna blindly enable all sorts of scripts to run just so your website doesnt look fubared and will in turn just leave your site rather quickly. These are potential players lost to you. I was attempting to make you aware of this fact and give you some suggestions on how to fix it.

As far as having a problem with Flash and Java, your right i do. I have a very big problem trusting Flash and Java being run on a website if i haven't said its ok. Why? Cause consistently new security flaws are found in both the Flash player and the JVM, though the JVM less often then flash. And once again as i pointed out you and your game are no names, so why should i trust your site to run those on my machine when i cant even peruse your site first without already enabling all sorts of scripts to run?

So you can take the know it all, my sites fine stance and be a douche, OR you could say "hey, he has some valid points, and while i personally dont see why people would operate their stuff that way hes right some people do and i want as many players as possible so maybe its worth looking into not making my site look like crap when people have everything disabled". Your choice.

Thank you and good day.
30 Jan, 2011, David Haley wrote in the 12th comment:
One of the things you will quickly learn, RoFAdmin, is that arguing with Ssol about this sort of stuff is kind of a waste of your time. :thinking:
30 Jan, 2011, Ssolvarain wrote in the 13th comment:
David Haley said:
One of the things you will quickly learn, RoFAdmin, is that arguing with Ssol about this sort of stuff is kind of a waste of your time. :thinking:

Yeah, it's seriously not even my web page.
31 Jan, 2011, DemiGod wrote in the 14th comment:
David Haley said:

Even his avatar is in a perpetual state of interruption.
31 Jan, 2011, Dean wrote in the 15th comment:
ROFadmin has some valid points, but at the same time, is Dogma really going to use so many people who don't enable scripts that would warrant worrying about it? If the site looks good in the 'big three' browsers and there number of people dropping out from the experience is small due to not enabling scripts, then for me personally it's something I'm going to worry/care about.
04 Feb, 2011, Hades_Kane wrote in the 16th comment:
Ssolvarain said:
David Haley said:

Yeah, it's seriously not even my web page.

Lol! This thread entertained me :D
05 Feb, 2011, Runter wrote in the 17th comment:
There's a lot of professional web-app dev going on that does make the assumption that scripts will be enabled. Just sayin'. It's not really an optional thing atm for the web as a whole any more than a text-only browser would really be viable going forward. That's a little more extreme but both break many sites just the same now.
05 Feb, 2011, Chris Bailey wrote in the 18th comment:
I wget static information one piece at a time and scour its source code for possible malicious intent. Hopefully your website doesn't serve up any dynamic content, I ignore it all together. Too dangerous these days.

PS: Runter - What are you working on for Pikkle? I tried to check the website out but I was having a hard time finding information. ( Maybe I should enable scripts? )
05 Feb, 2011, Runter wrote in the 19th comment:
Chris Bailey said:
PS: Runter - What are you working on for Pikkle? I tried to check the website out but I was having a hard time finding information. ( Maybe I should enable scripts? )

Social webapp games for cell phones using Rails. Pretty big market for such things there.

And yeah, we even assume the cell phones have js enabled. ;)
05 Feb, 2011, Chris Bailey wrote in the 20th comment:
Oh neat! Do they have a rich api in place, or do you pretty much just create each new webapp from scratch?

EDIT: I was looking at Kongregate as a platform for rails apps (games of course) but the latest rails game released kind of scared me of. Wonderful game, not doing so well.
Random Picks
0.0/34