19 Jan, 2011, Parhelion wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Hey folks.

I'm running a survey to collect information on your usage of Facebook and Twitter as it pertains to MU*s. I would really, really appreciate any bit of time that you could put forward for this. It won't take very long – average take-time is about 5 minutes, and you can skip any questions that you do not feel are relevant to you.

Who should take this survey?

Everyone! Even if you do not use social media for gaming currently, there are questions that may be relevant to you and would prove helpful. There are two separate surveys – one for players, and one for game owners. Game owners are encouraged to make full use of the survey by responding and then encouraging their players to respond in kind. There is a bit of wiggle room for game owners who want to have follow-up questions asked to their particular players, but we'll get to that later. Game genres include everything between hard-core hack-and-slasher to PvP to social story-telling and RP; game families can include the entire gamut of "text-based games", from MUDs, to MOOs, MUCKs, MUSHs, talkers, and more.

Players should note that they may only take their survey once. This is because the survey is set up to be completely anonymous, even to me – and this is the best way to ensure that duplicate answers are not found. Sometimes, this creates an issue if they scroll through the pages before taking the survey. See below about broken forms.

So, what's the purpose?

Mainly, I'm trying to pinpoint just what the cost-benefits of using social media will be for MU*s who want to use it – identifying if maybe it could help generate traffic, and if so, of what kind, or identifying areas where we're currently "doing it wrong." For individual games, it will also give them some insight into how their own players use Facebook and Twitter for gaming. It's a pretty simple survey, but if certain things stand out about it, there may be more specific ones in the future. Or, it may just unveil that social media services are not in the best interest of game developers – whatever the truth, this survey hopes to find it.

How will this data be used?

This survey is being conducted by yours truly, with the intent of publishing the statistical findings on the RPMud Network when their website debutes (something I am also responsible for – assuming I stop getting buried in website orders, it may be mid-Feb or early March). All statistical data will be released (except MUD-specific data) to the public. RPMud Network has a strict privacy policy, so it our intent to protect the identities of all responders through whatever possible means. All player responses are anonymous; for the purposes of follow-up questions made by specific MUDs, players will have to provide an email address of their choice to opt in – and even still, their identities will never be revealed to their home games.

Games may request an early copy of the results of this survey, before it is posted to RPMud Network if the site is not up and operational by that time. There is an opt-in question in the survey for this. Games may also request that we do follow-up questions for any player who opts in AND identifies themselves as a player on their game; doing so will allow these games to receive custom tailored reports just for their game. Game owners should note that players may choose not to respond to these, and so they may not receive any results (unless, of course, they ask players to take our survey and opt-in for the follow-ups. ;) ).

How long do I have to take this thing?

Currently, I am planning to run the survey until the end of February. This may change if I feel that there is more time needed to collect better results.

I will start sending follow-up questions at the end of January.

Please try and take it sooner rather than later!!!

Hey! Your form is broken!

Sometimes the form may not work, especially if you scroll through the pages before taking it. This is especially true for players, who can only take the survey once.

You may alternatively email parhelion@rpmud.net for an email version of the survey, or directly submit your answers there. ((Game owners should note that if they choose to take this method, they must use a valid email address from their own domain, or use an admin email listed as a contact at one of the popular listing sites.))

Please report any wonky behavior on the forms.

Shut up, and just let me take it.

Players! Click here to get started.

MU* Owners! Click here to get started, then please ask your players to visit this thread and take their own!
0.0/1