01 Aug, 2007, bunabiros wrote in the 81st comment:
Votes: 0
Interesting, they give your registration to another registrar… check this faq page from google.

http://www.google.com/support/a/bin/answ...

And the choices for registrars suck… Godaddy and eNom.
05 Aug, 2007, Guest wrote in the 82nd comment:
Note to self: Don't register domains with Google.

I've probably mentioned it already, but I'll mention it again. All of my new stuff, along with all my renewals, now goes through Netfirms. Seems to have an relatively easy to use system and I've had no problems thus far. Not even spammy promotional junk that 1and1 has started sending me.
16 Oct, 2007, Noplex wrote in the 83rd comment:
I have been using a French registrar (gandi.net), that was suggested by a friend back in high school, for a few years now. I haven't had any problems with them (and, actually, have received e-mails about attempted registrar changes). After the fiasco that I dealt with (losing crimsonblade.org to a hijacking, and getting in a dispute with my host over flipsidesoftware.com) I am very careful about registering any domains with those free offers you get when you open web hosting accounts. I have heard of problems with GoDaddy.com and Registerfly.com; so I try to stay away from them. Gandi.net has never given me any problems whatsoever.
16 Oct, 2007, David Haley wrote in the 84th comment:
For what it's worth, I've been using GoDaddy.com since the RegisterFleas (sic) debacle. Haven't had trouble with them so far. I can't stand their marketing so I have been meaning to get around to changing at one point or another. I'll check out this Gandi service and see how they are.
16 Oct, 2007, Guest wrote in the 85th comment:
From what I've been finding out lately it seems that the foreign registrars are much better at avoiding this kind of stupid crap. Netfirms is in Canada, which I wasn't aware of at the time, but hey. They work for me. A lot of people also swear by gandi.net and another French registrar that begins with a g, but I've always had personal reservations about dealing with overseas companies.
16 Oct, 2007, David Haley wrote in the 86th comment:
Samson said:
but I've always had personal reservations about dealing with overseas companies.

Out of curiosity, why?
16 Oct, 2007, Guest wrote in the 87th comment:
DavidHaley said:
Samson said:
but I've always had personal reservations about dealing with overseas companies.

Out of curiosity, why?

It's not relevant to the discussion. I said they were personal reasons. I'd prefer to leave it at that.
16 Oct, 2007, David Haley wrote in the 88th comment:
It wasn't meant to be offensive, it was just a question. It's a little unusual to have reservations about all overseas companies in general so I was wondering if there was some backstory or other empirical evidence why it's not a good idea to register US domains with foreign companies. For instance, maybe there are legal issues that I don't know about. That's why I thought it was pretty relevant, in any case, hence why I asked the question. If it's just some personal thing based on other opinions not related to the facts of domain hosting, then sure, it wouldn't be relevant. Well, in any case, wasn't trying to offend…
16 Oct, 2007, kiasyn wrote in the 89th comment:
I'm using GoDaddy atm. The only thing I don't like about them is they keep sending me special deals.. =I'm using GoDaddy atm. The only thing I don't like about them is they keep sending me special deals.. =[
16 Oct, 2007, Guest wrote in the 90th comment:
I was wondering if there was some backstory or other empirical evidence why it's not a good idea to register US domains with foreign companies

I never said it was a bad idea to register with a foreign registry. In fact I even stated that they seem to be better at avoiding the kind of crap that led to this thread's origins. I said it was personal reasons. It has no relevance to the thread, and I don't appreciate the fact that you've tried to make it out like I said something I didn't either.
16 Oct, 2007, David Haley wrote in the 91st comment:
I don't understand how I offended you, Samson. You said you had reservations about dealing with them; for me that parses as meaning that you would (even personally) find it a bad idea to register with them. (Almost by definition.) And you are right to mention that you also said that from a technical perspective they seem to be better, but that just adds to my confusion. (It seems that from a technical perspective, it makes a lot of sense to go with the technical superiority.) All I was trying to ask is if there was some empirical reason for all of this. From other interactions, and from your reaction here so far, I am beginning to suspect what your reason might be for not wanting to transact with foreign companies, and if I am right then you are also quite right that it has no relevance to the thread.

Well, whatever: like I said, I wasn't trying to offend and I'm not entirely sure why it was offensive to ask if there was something I/we should know about, or if it's just a matter of opinion not related to anything technical about domain registrars. :shrug:
17 Oct, 2007, Guest wrote in the 92nd comment:
To put it simply, since you don't appear to be getting it, I'm trying to leave my personal biases out of this. Choosing a registrar should be based on the technical merits of the company and how they handle what they do. Not on how someone personally feels about doing business with overseas entities. But I guess my ability to keep that kind of thing separate is an alien concept. Maybe I'm an alien. Who knows. But you're also making an awful lot of assumptions about a lot of things about me based on limited interaction on a limited set of issues and if you even remotely believe in any of the stuff you keep saying about making such snap judgments then you should have gotten the hint the first time when I tried to leave my personal biases out of this.

Do us both a favor. Drop it. It's nothing personal against you or anyone else, but just drop it. I'm in no mood to be interrogated about it.
17 Oct, 2007, Kayle wrote in the 93rd comment:
I gotta agree with Samson on this one. Choosing a registrar should be based on the technical aspects of the company. He's stated that his reasons are personal, and has expressed an interest in keeping them that way. So let him. I don't know what they teach people in France, but in the US, we teach kids to drop it, when someone says they don't want to discuss it. I stayed out of this topic for a while, mainly because I don't care about registrars, and when I do, I'll do research and digging on my own before looking for info from others.

But seriously, When someone says they'd prefer to keep their personal reasons personal, can we at least agree to respect that and not badger them about it? I thought for a moment there I was on the TMC forums.
17 Oct, 2007, Cratylus wrote in the 94th comment:
But seriously, When someone says they'd prefer to keep their personal reasons personal, can we at least agree to respect that and not badger them about it?

I don't see badgering here. I see DavidHaley expressing a natural curiosity,
then providing apologetic statements about his intent upon realizing he'd
struck a nerve.

Obviously Samson is annoyed at something, but let's not blame DavidHaley
for simply engaging in discussion and then explicitly trying to be conciliatory
in multiple posts when he discovered he crossed some unexplained line with Samson.

Also, not only do I not see anything hostile here, even if I did, perpetuating
the FUD about TMC being a hostile place is unwarranted.

Anyway, I've not yet had trouble with godaddy. I'll probably stick with them
unless/until they do cause problems.

-Crat
http://lpmuds.net
17 Oct, 2007, kiasyn wrote in the 95th comment:
Hey guys,

Do you pay for your domains per-year, or get say, 10 years in advance?
I do per-year.

Kiasyn

(No more posts about the Samson topic after this please.)
17 Oct, 2007, Kayle wrote in the 96th comment:
Cratylus said:
I don't see badgering here. I see DavidHaley expressing a natural curiosity,
then providing apologetic statements about his intent upon realizing he'd
struck a nerve.

I saw David ask, and Samson say he wanted to keep his reasons to himself. I then saw David ask again. That to me is badgering, but maybe it's just being from the south, and my upbringing, but I was always taught, If someone says they want to keep it to themselves, don't push it.

Kiasyn: Last one you'll see outta me.
17 Oct, 2007, Cratylus wrote in the 97th comment:
I do per-year.

Per year.

-Crat
17 Oct, 2007, Guest wrote in the 98th comment:
Cratylus said:
Also, not only do I not see anything hostile here, even if I did, perpetuating
the FUD about TMC being a hostile place is unwarranted.

At the risk of further drifting off the deep end, I for one think TMC is an openly hostile place for all but the long-time regular posters. It's a prime example of why anarchy doesn't work.
17 Oct, 2007, David Haley wrote in the 99th comment:
Kayle said:
I saw David ask, and Samson say he wanted to keep his reasons to himself. I then saw David ask again.

Kayle, you need to get your apology detection filters adjusted. :wink: And geez, really, "what they teach in France" and all. Seriously… :lol:

kiasyn said:

I do per-year, unless there is some reason to do more than a year at a time. For instance, if there's a considerable sale and I have reason to believe it won't come around, but that sale is limited to several years at a time, I might take the sale. Like if you get $5/yr for three years; that's a pretty good deal (you'd save on the order of $3/yr which means you save even after adjustment for interest earned and all that).

As a general rule, though, all things equal I tend to avoid lock-in.
17 Oct, 2007, Cratylus wrote in the 100th comment:
At the risk of further drifting off the deep end, I for one think TMC is an openly hostile place for all but the long-time regular posters. It's a prime example of why anarchy doesn't work.

If it didn't work, it wouldn't be the most popular mud listing site and forum out there.

It *does* work. Very well. That some folks don't like it doesn't mean it's not
working. It means they don't like it.

-Crat
http://lpmuds.net
80.0/126