25 Jul, 2011, melopene wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
So, I'm adding an astronomy system as my next big adventure, and a few other systems to follow that will require a similar change. The groundwork tables, etc, have been made, as well as lookups and checks and updates and what have you. Now come the related skills and spells.

Basically, I'm going to need to add a new TAR_ into do_cast (TAR_CHAR_CELESTIAL, most likely), and that is a very very scary prospect to me, namely because the new TAR_'s will target things like constellations, comets, annual meteor showers, etc. I have a feeling that it's going to take knowledge above my skill level, and at present I haven't even started properly indenting and commenting the existing code to figure it out. But, I wanted to know if any of you have had particular successes or failures in this, or if you've found a better way to implement do_cast?

25 Jul, 2011, Rarva.Riendf wrote in the 2nd comment:
Votes: 0
Basically, I'm going to need to add a new TAR_ into do_cast (TAR_CHAR_CELESTIAL, most likely), and that is a very very scary prospect to me,

Adding a new target is the easiest thing, just add it in the switch so you change the 'victim' or 'object' or whatever new data type.
I guess that if you need a new target it means you added a new data type that is not object nor character, so the only thing you need to be careful about is to make so your filter will not send this new datatype to a spell that cannot use it.
0.0/2