30 Jan, 2012, plamzi wrote in the 41st comment:
Votes: 0
Rarva.Riendf said:
plamzi said:
FYI, the tool is now a true Web OLC (see the updated first screenshot in the OP)

Nice, I was pretty sure it would not take long to make it that way once you had it working offline anyway. What was your technical choice ? Updating the database and having a daemon check for changes every xxx time or the user decide himself to push the update online ?

Another question, how do you check for overpowered item ? Soa builder cannot sneak in some special stuff only he has access to ? (with mprogs as an example. so the item is perfetly hidden to anyone but the builder)

I decided to let the user choose when to push updates. That way, they can complete a batch of changes first. I'm thinking about an auto-commit switch at some point, which when flipped will save to db and fire the appropriate "reload" command. There's no need for a daemon because the flash app supports push and the UI can send commands directly through it.

For now, if multiple builders work on the same area, they'd have to do their own coordination (but having a live session right in the editor should make that easy). Not a common scenario for us to have multiple people working on one area at the same time (I wish…)

As for quality control, areas pass several rounds of QA before release. If someone manages to sneak something past that, they will get caught eventually while abusing it (ain't that true for all kinds of cheating). Storing everything in a db allows us to re-balance stored items easily whenever we become aware of a problem. I haven't had an issue with unruly builders yet–all balance issues so far have been unintentional.
40.0/41