15 Dec, 2011, Zeno wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Well it's time. My own VPS is shitting on us so I have to move.

Suggestions? Obviously running a MUD on it. Would like to keep it under $15/month and I would be willing to pay in bulk to get discounts. I'd like $10/month, as that's what I'm paying now.
15 Dec, 2011, Twisol wrote in the 2nd comment:
15 Dec, 2011, Runter wrote in the 3rd comment:
The best service I've found is linode. (www.linode.com).

It is 20 dollars a month, so perhaps a little out of your range.. but I do suggest considering it. They do offer discounts for paying advance on months. The quality of their service, and what you're getting is really unmatched.
15 Dec, 2011, kiasyn wrote in the 4th comment:
MB runs on Linode. If you choose to go with them, please use our referral link :)

http://www.linode.com/?r=353eaf9532c508e...
15 Dec, 2011, Zeno wrote in the 5th comment:
Yeah, Linode would be my first choice if it wasn't too much.
15 Dec, 2011, Idealiad wrote in the 6th comment:
+1 for prgmr.
15 Dec, 2011, Zeno wrote in the 7th comment:
Do you know where servers are located for prgmr? Any on the east coast?
15 Dec, 2011, Hades_Kane wrote in the 8th comment:
I use quantact.com

I joined up when the cheapest plan was $9.99 a month, so I still get that, but it looks like for new signups, they are at $14.99 / month. I couldn't be happier with the service and such, and I honestly can't remember the last time there was any downtime, and the few times in the last 6 years or so I've been with them, any downtime was fixed ridiculously quick.

$15/month gets you:
-256mb of dedicated RAM (shared burstable CPU can increase this)
-15gb disk space
-300gb bandwidth

and more stuff.

They are located in California, and I'm in Louisiana, but have never noticed any slowness or lag or anything due to the distance.
15 Dec, 2011, Zeno wrote in the 9th comment:
The issue with CA is UK players. That's why I like the east coast <_<
15 Dec, 2011, Hades_Kane wrote in the 10th comment:
Ah, well I have some UK players and never really heard any complaints, but I haven't outright asked either, so I can't say one way or the other on that :p
15 Dec, 2011, Runter wrote in the 11th comment:
Well, UK players probably don't notice the difference between the 500 MS latency (east coast) or the 700 MS latency (west coast), but when I'm overseas that's been my experience with game servers in the US.
15 Dec, 2011, Zeno wrote in the 12th comment:
Weird, I play with a friend from England a lot. He gets ~100ms on east coast servers and ~200ms (unplayable) on west coast.
16 Dec, 2011, Runter wrote in the 13th comment:
Zeno said:
Weird, I play with a friend from England a lot. He gets ~100ms on east coast servers and ~200ms (unplayable) on west coast.

Well, it was a few years ago so maybe things have improved. :)
16 Dec, 2011, Idealiad wrote in the 14th comment:
Not 100% sure but I think prgmr is only West coast.
16 Dec, 2011, Kline wrote in the 15th comment:
+1 to prgmr here, too. $12/mo package and only ever had two minor issues when they had a router start to die and more recently the box I'm on required a RAID rebuild.

Don't expect much support; you get what you pay for and they mean what they state on their site. When you do get support though, it will be top-notch – but they expect you to cover your bases and show up with some proof that the issue really is outside your little VM.

They are entirely west coast though.
17 Dec, 2011, tphegley wrote in the 16th comment:
I've been with Linode for about 3 years now and have never once had a problem with them. They have amazing support where your tickets are answered usually within the hour that you put it in.

$20 a month isn't to bad for the rock solid service you get. They have datacenters on the east coast.
17 Dec, 2011, Tijer wrote in the 17th comment:
i use linode…. basic 512 pakage… pretty cheap, alot cheaper than the so called MUD HOSTS that are out there these days… (if i had known about the referal for mudbytes id have done that when i joined them in August)
06 Mar, 2012, Thorick wrote in the 18th comment:
I just signed up with BurstNET, they have a UK based datacenter, and My yearly rate was less than $50 a year. I had a few issues, with loosing the RAID i was based on. Now i do lots of backups, but for the price to do development on its pretty good. Oh and the package is pretty good 512 Mbs RAM, 1Tb transfer, 100Mbit connection , i think 300Gb HD.
07 Mar, 2012, kiasyn wrote in the 19th comment:
See my signature for Mudbytes Linode ;)

Very strong control panel, one of the better VPS providers in my experience.
07 Mar, 2012, Zeno wrote in the 20th comment:
Linode had a security breach recently and also refuses to give me a simply report on write speed times, when I am asking in consideration of moving to Linode. I get a generic response from sales. :/
0.0/20