11 Mar, 2012, Runter wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Littlehorn said:
Zeno said:
It looked pretty blurry to me, but yeah dark blue on black is always near impossible to read.

I try to never use dark blue on my MUD.

We only use it for certain words, not informative text like quest dialog etc. But, that's just preference again. Nothing to do with the actual topic once again Zeno. However, I do appreciate the bumpage!

I don't see how that's personal preference, but let's put that aside. If your personal preference is to make a screen shot of your game that people can't read it may not be doing the game a service when you hand wave away concerns that are forthcoming about the screen shot as personal preference. If I were to play your game and set the background to a light color I could not see other words. So it's a problem that I think instead of dismissing concerns about you could give a more thoughtful response to. How am I supposed to enjoy your game if I can't read many of the words? What type of impression am I supposed to get of your game if the "best foot forward" is of text that I can't read?
11 Mar, 2012, Rarva.Riendf wrote in the 2nd comment:
Thing is: can you change the color scheme of the mud itself ?

Makes me think I should provide more than one scheme so people that do not know they can change it do not leave cause they dont like the basic scheme huhu
11 Mar, 2012, Cratylus wrote in the 3rd comment:
I like to use gnome-terminal as a mud client, and I find muds that assume I use a dark background annoying.

This one time I posted a screenshot of a terrible-looking mud and people assumed I was trying to make
it look bad on purpose by connecting with a white background.

Some folks use white backgrounds. I guess that's a preference, I dunno. I think that a mud should probly accommodate it.

-Crat
http://lpmuds.net
12 Mar, 2012, quixadhal wrote in the 4th comment:
White backgrounds are bad for your eyes, rather like staring into the sun.

Back in the old days, terminals were sensible and had bright phosphors on a black background. They worked that way. People could spend all day working on them and have no ill effects, provided they wore sunglasses when leaving the dungeon.

Then some braniac got it into their head that they should try to make terminals look more like paper. WYSIWYG was just starting to creep out, and so making the default be black on white seemed logical. Of course, this ignored the fact that real paper doesn't GLOW WITH RADIATION, like the good old CRT tube.

So, now, we've moved on to flat panel displays that have either CFL tubes or LED arrays for lighting. But some people are still stuck with pretending a bright glowing rectangle is more "natural" because paper is white. So, despite the fact that staring at a black-on-white screen is much like aiming a flashlight at your eyes all day long, many business folk still do it because they've been trained to, and half their business tools (Word, Visual Studio) encourage it.

But, preferences aside, if you don't like the color scheme a given MUD uses, and you can't easily find a way to change it… why not… turn ANSI off? My great-grandpappy didn't need no fancy ANSI codes to kill orcs, you don't either.
13 Mar, 2012, Cratylus wrote in the 5th comment:
Meh, it doesn't bother me since I look at white-bg documents all day anyway, and white-bg has the added virtue of lighting up your keyboard in an otherwise dark room if yer up late. Or, in Quix's case, anytime of the day.

-Crat
0.0/5