28 May, 2007, Conner wrote in the 61st comment:
Votes: 0
Hey Sakirious, good to see you again.. are you sure you got the right file name for that img?
04 Jun, 2007, Fizban wrote in the 62nd comment:
Yeah…if my first numbers looked bad…here's at the grandmother's house…

05 Jun, 2007, Conner wrote in the 63rd comment:
Wow! :stare: Was that using an old 9600 baud modem? :thinking:
06 Jun, 2007, Brinson wrote in the 64th comment:
Nah, he's just using dial-up I think. I modem may be 56k, but you'll never get that. You'll seldom even get your "potential peak".

That is a very fast up, though…if its dial-up…hrm.
06 Jun, 2007, Kjwah wrote in the 65th comment:
Brinson said:
That is a very fast up, though…if its dial-up…hrm.

That's what I was thinking
07 Jun, 2007, Conner wrote in the 66th comment:
I suppose for dial-up it's not bad, I'm just so used to dealing with broadband numbers anymore, that was nearly shocking. :wink:
04 Jul, 2007, Fizban wrote in the 67th comment:
Yeah that was dial-up, PeoplePC in fact, with an oddly fast upload.

I finally convinced her to upgrade to 6 mbps Cable Modem as I'm staying with her while going to college.

This is NOWHERE near 6mpbs as sdvertised, but I'm sure we'll all agree it beats those last numbers.

04 Jul, 2007, Fizban wrote in the 68th comment:
Actually it said I was closer to Toronto, and that's what that was, but Chicago gives me the best speeds.

Best so far:

05 Jul, 2007, Conner wrote in the 69th comment:
It may not be anywhere close to the advertised 6MB, but that jump from 40 to 4564 has got to feel like you're flying on pure jet fuel compared to the old model T you'd been driving. :wink: :lol:
06 Jul, 2007, Fizban wrote in the 70th comment:
I still wonder, how much would using a USB Cord instead of the Ethernet Cable really affect speeds? Also any programs that are free (or have easily attained serial/cracked versions) that can effectively clean up registries or otherwise increase speed?

Still seems way low, here's still my current best speeds.

Download:

Upload:
06 Jul, 2007, kiasyn wrote in the 71st comment:
USB goes at 256/512mbps iirc, my ethernet goes at 1 gbps
06 Jul, 2007, Conner wrote in the 72nd comment:
For me, my connection to the cable company is sitting at 10mbps so either would make no real difference as far as internet goes, though internally, I'm running at 100mbps because upgrading to 1gbps really wouldn't be worth the cost for me, we already can transfer anything over our lan fast enough to not matter anyway. :shrug:
06 Jul, 2007, Fizban wrote in the 73rd comment:
So essentially their identical for a 6 mbps connection?
06 Jul, 2007, Fizban wrote in the 74th comment:
There we go….
The damned tech support hooked it up wrong. When the guy came out to hook up the DVR he noticed that it wasn't set up right…

Actual Speeds after fixed:

06 Jul, 2007, Conner wrote in the 75th comment:
Fizban said:
So essentially their identical for a 6 mbps connection?

Yup, for me at least. Whether I use USB or ethernet, I"m still connecting through a cable modem that can only handle 10mbps which exceeds the 6mbps already anyway. *shrug*

Fizban said:
There we go….
The damned tech support hooked it up wrong. When the guy came out to hook up the DVR he noticed that it wasn't set up right…

Actual Speeds after fixed:

Oh, MUCH nicer! :smile:
06 Jul, 2007, Justice wrote in the 76th comment:
From the look of things, either USB or Ethernet should exceed the bandwidth of most cable connections so it shouldn't matter. Since I wasn't sure of what USB was capable of I did a quick search and came up with this:

USB 2.0 has a raw data rate at 480Mbps, and it is rated 40 times faster than its predecessor interface, USB 1.1, which tops at 12Mbps.
06 Jul, 2007, Fizban wrote in the 77th comment:
Yeah, I'm not going to be exceeding 12 mbps, and this PC has 2.0 so I CERTAINLY won't exceed 480 mbps
16 Jul, 2007, Fizban wrote in the 78th comment:
Hmm, I got bored and started testing speeds with different browsers and was shocked at the variance between them. Here's 3 tests with each browser.

Netscape:

Firefox:

Opera:

Internet Explorer:

16 Jul, 2007, Tijer wrote in the 79th comment:
Speedtest.net never has been very accurate with the speeds it reports, i was showing as under 512k connection the other day tried another speed test site and i was at almost 20 meg. So thats probably the reason for the variance over the browsers. Also the Latency is varying perhaps alot of people were testing their speed on that server? Or perhaps your isp was pretty busy at the time you made the tests? Or were you downloading something.. theres several reasons for the variance

Tijer
16 Jul, 2007, Zeno wrote in the 80th comment:
Speedtest.net is very accurate for me, almost perfect.
60.0/147