15 May, 2007, Conner wrote in the 41st comment:
Votes: 0
KaVir said:
Conner said:
While that's an interesting observation, how much was it altered because you were consciously "observing" what you were doing to get there?

When developing software at work, I've occasionally been forced to navigate an application without the mouse pointer being visible (because the mouse is only used during development - the real device uses a touchscreen display). Without being able to observe the pointer on the screen, I found it very difficult to work out where it was - I would generally move my mouse to one far corner, and then try to estimate how far it needed to move to reach the correct button.

I can see that scenario and I can imagine that it's got to be a challenge to guess where the mouse actually is at any given moment when you can't see any indicator for it.

Scandum said:
Interesting question, I just video taped myself and watched it to observe my unconscious behavior. Apparently I appear to be moving the mouse cursor with sheer will power alone while waving my hand in the general direction of the mouse thinking I'm actually using it!

For real I don't have a video camera. Maybe someone could videotape himself using the mouse and send the file to Cin so he can see how people do the mouse thing?

:lol: While the idea is amusing, and might even work if you had someone video taping you (without your knowledge) to study afterward how you actually use your mouse, sending the video to Cin would probably be fairly useless since his whole point was that he couldn't understand how sighted people use their mice since he's blind, so it stands to reason that, being blind, he also can't watch your video. :lol:
16 May, 2007, Scandum wrote in the 42nd comment:
Conner said:
so it stands to reason that, being blind, he also can't watch your video. :lol:

He could listen to me cheering on my character as he combats the blob though.

On a completely unrelated note, I just noticed you've added links to icq, aim, yahoo, msn, gt, and 3 telnet links. I'm truly impressed at the amount of multi-tasking that must involve.
16 May, 2007, Cin wrote in the 43rd comment:
Scandum said:
Whine whine *wink* Just kidding. You can lower the mouse speed and turn off mouse acceleration. Out of curiosity I checked what it exactly is what I am doing and seemingly I move the mouse in one fast move to the general direction of a button, taking acceleration into account, this generally places the mouse within half an inch of the desired location upon which I briefly halt. Then I move the mouse at slow speed (below the acceleration threshold) to the desired position.

Now why didn't I think of that!

If I do this…I'll have to experiment, and experimenting while having an inflamation+cold=bad, that's no fun for everyone. Unless you're some psycho dude who loves to torture people, but I doubt it!

Where is the smiley that is supposed to be chortling…?

Scandum said:
Sure, bring it on *smiles*

Can you say lazy?

In short, you sounded like a power tripper if you really slay blind people on sight. Take his privileges!
But no…I don't preach. Don't expect it.
16 May, 2007, kiasyn wrote in the 44th comment:
Does it suck to hear leet speak on your screen reader =)
16 May, 2007, Cin wrote in the 45th comment:
kiasyn said:
Does it suck to hear leet speak on your screen reader =)

Hell yeah. Don't even try!
16 May, 2007, Pedlar wrote in the 46th comment:
h3|235 Cin 1337 5p34|< ;)
16 May, 2007, Scandum wrote in the 47th comment:
Cin said:
In short, you sounded like a power tripper if you really slay blind people on sight. Take his privileges!
But no…I don't preach. Don't expect it.

Fortunately there has yet to be a blind person logging in and bugging me about making my mud handicapped accessible. I guess it helps that I only log in once a day for 1 minute to check notes.
16 May, 2007, KaVir wrote in the 48th comment:
Scandum said:
Fortunately there has yet to be a blind person logging in and bugging me about making my mud handicapped accessible. I guess it helps that I only log in once a day for 1 minute to check notes.

While wizinvis, I hope?
16 May, 2007, Cin wrote in the 49th comment:
KaVir said:
While wizinvis, I hope?

lol
16 May, 2007, Scandum wrote in the 50th comment:
KaVir said:
While wizinvis, I hope?

Nah, I'm the boss on my mud and I ain't hiding from nobody.

Like a good husband gives his wife a whap if she disturbs him while reading the morning paper a good mud admin makes sure the players think twice before disturbing him while he's reading notes.
17 May, 2007, syn wrote in the 51st comment:
So your players must bother you a whole lot while you read notes ey?

-Syn
17 May, 2007, Conner wrote in the 52nd comment:
Scandum said:
Conner said:
so it stands to reason that, being blind, he also can't watch your video. :lol:

He could listen to me cheering on my character as he combats the blob though.

Well, that certainly sounds exciting, but clearly has nothing to do with his issue with mice…
Scandum said:
On a completely unrelated note, I just noticed you've added links to icq, aim, yahoo, msn, gt, and 3 telnet links. I'm truly impressed at the amount of multi-tasking that must involve.

Thanks, but they've been there as long as I've been here, they're not new. *shrug*
17 May, 2007, kiasyn wrote in the 53rd comment:
So Cin, say a MUD had an overland map. (Just symbols on a screen) what would the best alternative for you be, seeing it through a screen reader?
17 May, 2007, Cin wrote in the 54th comment:
kiasyn said:
So Cin, say a MUD had an overland map. (Just symbols on a screen) what would the best alternative for you be, seeing it through a screen reader?

Actually…someone on a MOO came up with a nice idea.

I had already thought of converting the map to text, but seeing as either people who like the idea are too lazy to go ahead, or it is too difficult…map <destination> could work.
Such as:
map mail room
Directions from Alliance High Guard Command; Docking Bay to Alliance High Guard
Command; Mail Room: west, west, west, west, and north.

And actually…it works just fine. So I don't see why that can't be done. Didn't take a whole lot of time.
40.0/54