23 Oct, 2012, AlphaTech wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
First off, Im a newbie to all of this. Just ran across some old mud files my friend and his ex wife where working on and we would like to pick it up again, she did all the running and everything so we don't know where to start. with that said, I understand linux, preferably redhat i the best to use from what i was told as far as OS goes, but i'm a windows man, and to poor to have two computers. all that aside I have no linux experience at all. i'm completely lost here as to what to do. I know i'm going to get a lot of grief for asking but here is hoping there is at least one person out there that can point me to a tut or at least in the right direction that I can start figuring it out myself. I am a technician so I know how computers work, I have a bit of coding experience as well but i'm a stoner so i'm some what dense. any help is appreciated. I hope I put this in the right spot.
23 Oct, 2012, Idealiad wrote in the 2nd comment:
No worries, you're in the right place. First you need to give some more information and look up a few things:

* Do you know what codebase your old mud was? Can you determine if it will compile and run on Windows?
* Alternatively, can you download VirtualBox and a Linux OS .iso or net install image of some kind?

Answer these two questions and let us know what you find.
23 Oct, 2012, AlphaTech wrote in the 3rd comment:
I am not sure on what the old codebase is, all I know is that she said it would only run on Red Hat, (she isnt exactly a friend we can call hehe) aside from that I have downloaded Virtual box and am downloading Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 server (I really hope that will work) though I am fairly sure it is all stock RoM code.

And thank you very much for your help.
23 Oct, 2012, AlphaTech wrote in the 4th comment:
I was just informed it was most likely programmed in C, at most C+
23 Oct, 2012, AlphaTech wrote in the 5th comment:
/* used to get new skills */
void do_gain(CHAR_DATA *ch, char *argument)
{
char buf[MSL];
char arg[MIL];
CHAR_DATA *trainer;
int gn = 0, sn = 0;

if (IS_NPC(ch))
return;

/* find a trainer */
for ( trainer = ch->in_room->people;
trainer != NULL;
trainer = trainer->next_in_room)
if (IS_NPC(trainer) && IS_SET(trainer->act,ACT_GAIN))
break;

A snippet if that helps
23 Oct, 2012, Tyche wrote in the 6th comment:
23 Oct, 2012, AlphaTech wrote in the 7th comment:
I like the theme on that haha. I also now have virtualbox with red hat enterprise linux 6 installed and ready to go. ill also look into that link you sent me. thank you both all help is very welcome.
23 Oct, 2012, AlphaTech wrote in the 8th comment:
Ok so I downloaded the Murk++ source and Cygwin onto my system, Installed Cygwin and tried to compile using the command make and it tells me the command does not exist? am I doing something wrong? maybe not holding my mouth right?
23 Oct, 2012, AlphaTech wrote in the 9th comment:
ok so I figured out that I didnt download the package for make (because its not installed by default? wtf?) at any rate im sure ill run into more problems soon XD
24 Oct, 2012, quixadhal wrote in the 10th comment:
Just curious, if you have a working VM of a linux environment, why would you waste your time with cygwin and all the associated incompatibilities the windows environment brings to MUD code, which was developed in a unix environment to begin with?
24 Oct, 2012, AlphaTech wrote in the 11th comment:
because linux confuses me. like my brain wants to explode. that aside, I downloaded quickmud fixed version 2012, what ells do I need to download to make it compile? I just have what it came with I type compile and it yells at me
24 Oct, 2012, Tyche wrote in the 12th comment:
quixadhal said:
Just curious, if you have a working VM of a linux environment, why would you waste your time with cygwin and all the associated incompatibilities the windows environment brings to MUD code, which was developed in a unix environment to begin with?

Murk++ is developed on Windows using Borland C++.
It's been patched to work with other C++ compilers including GNU C++ 4.x, so it runs on BSD and Linux.
Not all features have been ported to work on Linux though.

To the OP:
You still need to learn how to use Unix/Linux shell and tools in order to use Cygwin effectively (or vice versa).
25 Oct, 2012, AlphaTech wrote in the 13th comment:
nod, I just need to figure out what files im missing, iv got all the commands I need at this point I think.
29 Oct, 2012, AlphaTech wrote in the 14th comment:
Ok so, I'm looking to start from scratch. I'm going to put Ubuntu on my system and dual boot it. Other then Ubuntu what do I need to download to make it go start to finish with the most up to date stock code there is? (all that matters is OLC and color, everything ells is a huge bonus, but mobprogs would be a great bonus) I'm fairly sure I am doing everything right but this Cygwin thing is not working out so time to try new. any takers on teaching me? id love to have someone to live chat with as I am working on it, if anyone has skype siferinc is my tag.
08 Nov, 2012, quixadhal wrote in the 15th comment:
I use Debian myself, which is the non-graphical parent of Ubuntu, so I may be able to help a bit with dependancies and whatnot.

Basically, when doing the install, if there's an option like "development environment", that's something to select. In particular, you'll want to make sure gcc, gdb, and g++ are installed. It's also likely you may (at some point) want grep, make, patch, diffutils, binutils, and probably some others. Usually if there's a "development" option, that checks all those and more.

For packing and unpacking stuff, tar, bzip2, and gzip are useful… and zip if you want to work with the windows universe.

If you're dual-booting, you'll likely need to find an editor that you can live with. vim and emacs are popular and polar opposites. Some folks like pico, jed, or probably a dozen others. If you were running a VM or seperate hardware, I'd suggest samba so you can use the windows editor you already use, but with dual-booting it's not going to be of much use.

I would probably hunt around a bit for an updated ROM codebase. Once upon a time, RaM Ice was intended to be a bug-fixed version of stock ROM that would compile on (at the time) newer compilers… there may be a better choice now. The problem you'll likely run into the most with old code is that newer versions of gcc have gotten more strict about things, and many warnings are now errors. The most painful is probably the "const char *" issue, where you can no longer pass a const string to a non-const function and get away with it.

FWIW, if you do look at RaM Ice, it was Rom with many of the "well known" bug fixes applied, patched up to be able to compile under g++ (whatever version was in use in 2009), but still able to compile under gcc. The "Fire" version was the start of a C++ conversion, but it was far from complete. I haven't touched either since 2009.
08 Nov, 2012, triskaledia wrote in the 16th comment:
Not that you necessarily want to, but you could upload your code to this website
so that the more experienced people can tell you what codebase you're working with.
Or once you get your 'from scratch' code up and compiling, you could convert your friends
code over to that bit at a time, or take what you've learned getting that up and running
into getting your other code operational.
0.0/16