06 Feb, 2013, Idealiad wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
This dropped recently, and in light of the impending changes to MB it's interesting to see the features they've been working on:

http://www.discourse.org/

It's by one of the Stackoverflow guys so you can see a strong influence from that.

Might be useful for muds looking for new community software.
06 Feb, 2013, Davion wrote in the 2nd comment:
It doesn't look all that free… Also. There's not a lot in there that we haven't already implemented :D.
06 Feb, 2013, Idealiad wrote in the 3rd comment:
I think it's open source? I'm sure they'll be monetizing it somehow however. I think they're going for a wordpress.org/com kind of thing.

Regarding features, yes, that's what I thought was interesting
06 Feb, 2013, Orrin wrote in the 4th comment:
06 Feb, 2013, Davion wrote in the 5th comment:
:redface:
06 Feb, 2013, Davion wrote in the 6th comment:
They got a lot of cool features. I'm especially impressed by their magic scrolling. It sets posts to 'read' as they hit the top of the page and loads when paging up after being permalinked to the end of a thread. I've kinda been hesitant to go overboard on the infiniscroll but this gives me some really good ideas for a kind of meta-paging. Could work seamlessly with or without javascript.

It's really nice to see stuff like this, but OTOH it's kinda frustrating too ;). Last thing I'd want to do again is marry myself to a specific piece of forum software. With our current setup, we could swap out our forum software for any other forum made for django. And this is true for all the other modules as well. However, I doubt there's many Mud Listing apps :D.

I think you guys will really like what we have coming. If you enjoy MB, and the enhancements on discourse, this should be right up your ally. We do do some stuff differently though. The forums here server a few different purposes. One is chatter, the other is discussion and last but not least, questions/help. No one software facilitates all of this (part of the reason why it's a custom job). This will lead to subtle (and not so subtle) differences in forums geared towards a certain purpose. Tagging will be coming again. It will definitely not be a free for all like last time, however, "liking" and in turn, weighting existing tags set by authors/mods will still be there. Tagging will also be site wide. You will be able to tag any content you submit (files, pastes, topics, etc).

Everything's more unified as well. You don't have file comments looking like a completely different website. Anyways, not sure how much longer imma be wagging this carrot. My current tasks are embedding a real wiki with wikimarkup, as well as getting registrations solidified. Kiasyn is charging away at the skin, which is really shaping up. Once all this wraps up, you'll probably see a beta site, and release of the source at the same time.
06 Feb, 2013, Ssolvarain wrote in the 7th comment:
Davion said:
We do do some stuff

And that's how web pages are made, ladies and gentlemen.
0.0/7