29 Mar, 2013, Tyche wrote in the 21st comment:
Votes: 0
Nathan said:
Tyche said:
Nathan said:
That's all fine and dandy, but it's not available to the masses.

Sure it is. Anyone who can access github can also access tychehub.
The point is that it would be just as easy for Zeno to set up zenohub.
No creepy looking kitten things or advertisements on tychehub either. ;-)

Unless I misunderstand I was pointing out that we don't have access to your setup and therefore would have to depend on our own security, etc. If you mean something other than your personal private setup, please feel free to elaborate.

I'm as mystified as if we were discussing the following:

Okay so I went out and purchased this VPS. I got my mud all compiled and ready to go.
So where's the best place to run it, mudbucket.com or mudhub.com?
30 Mar, 2013, Kline wrote in the 22nd comment:
Tyche said:
Okay so I went out and purchased this VPS. I got my mud all compiled and ready to go.
So where's the best place to run it, mudbucket.com or mudhub.com?

I think that most people here are asking for an off-site backup. Maintaining a local repository on the VPS they are already using defeats that purpose, unless the solution is to maintain the local repository and then offload it to a personal machine at home or something for "off-site".
30 Mar, 2013, quixadhal wrote in the 23rd comment:
That's why I use github. I can easily have the same functionality at home, but then if there's a fire… I have no recourse.

Sure, there are plenty of other ways to make offsite backups… tar.bz2 your files and send them to yourself in gmail/yahoo/etc… use dropbox… whatever.

But using github (or any other similar service) also lets other people view my stuff (a plus for me… I have no live game, and it's not worth any money anyways), and even collaborate should somebody want to do so.

How I actually work is by making a local git repository, then pushing it to github and re-cloning it back down. From that point, I can easily check things in and out and when I'm satsified, I can push the local commits back upstream for others to use, or as a backup. If I had an actual live mud that I didn't want fully public, I'd be happy to pay for a VPS and setup my own git repository on it that's restricted.
30 Mar, 2013, Lyanic wrote in the 24th comment:
Runter said:
I like it's security

You know nothing about information security, then.

Runter said:
Notice I didn't really make any specific points.

Yes, I noticed that. I also understand the point you're trying to make, but I did make specific points. Did you want an itemized list of every single defect Github has? If so, that's an unrealistic expectation, as I'm not going to take the time to write it all out. You asked why there was negativity toward Github, and I gave you a short list of general reasons. Only one of them was subjective (the UI one). The security issues are the most critical. Github is fundamentally broken from an information security design standpoint. Perhaps someone running a MUD doesn't care. I care, though, and it is my opinion as an information security professional that any individual or organization using Github to store "valuable" code is inviting disaster.
20.0/24