30 Jun, 2007, Zeno wrote in the 21st comment:
Votes: 0
Hades_Kane said:
One thing I like about MudBytes is how a DBZ MUD posting didn't automatically turn into a flame war.

Indeed.

But I have no idea what this topic did turn into…
09 Jul, 2007, Hades_Kane wrote in the 22nd comment:
kikyo said:
I hope to create a dragonball z mud that will not be a joke.

kikyo20000 on TMC forums said:
The mud has been betrayed, contact either me or songi, videl8969@hotmail.com or Thor_the_god_of_thunder@hotmail.com, please my builders msg me..

Well… so much for that :p
13 Jul, 2007, Guest wrote in the 23rd comment:
Hades_Kane said:
One thing I like about MudBytes is how a DBZ MUD posting didn't automatically turn into a flame war.

There's no reason it should have. DBZ muds have just as much right to exist as any other. It's more or less a few admins who run them that have given the genre a bad name. It's not the kind of thing I'd run for a game, but everyone has their thing.
21 Aug, 2007, Xyris wrote in the 24th comment:
let me start off by saying im a big fan of DBZ muds. Although, im not a big fan of smaug. I think your mud would do a lot better if you used a codebase like circlemud. If you still need a staff, mainly a coder, let me know. But i must make this clear, i only code circlemud.
:robot:(random robot)
21 Aug, 2007, Guest wrote in the 25th comment:
Well there's plenty of us who have nothing against DBZ but hate Circlemud with a passion, so I'd guess you're going to find at least as many people saying you'd do a lot better off using Smaug over Circlemud. :)
21 Aug, 2007, Hades_Kane wrote in the 26th comment:
Yeah, but just about every DBZ is Smaug… if even in that regard, if they break the mold, then that's something. But, I think their MUD got stolen or something anyway, so….
13 Sep, 2007, Kjwah wrote in the 27th comment:
Zeno said:
Because why have all of the same things as dozens of other DBSaga clones out there? If you want to greatly change the codebase, you'll be going backwards and removing features. Why do that when you can just start from stock? Not only that, starting from FUSS will be a great improvement from stock Smaug (thus stock DBSaga).

Starting from stock yields the same outcome. Removing old stuff, heavily modifying existing code.

Samson said:
Well there's plenty of us who have nothing against DBZ but hate Circlemud with a passion, so I'd guess you're going to find at least as many people saying you'd do a lot better off using Smaug over Circlemud. :)

I tend to be the opposite. I can't really stand anymore DBZ, especially after the DBZ explosion a few years ago on the MUDding scene. lol However, I like CircleMUD.. Only problem with it really is the code seems really… long winded. :p
13 Sep, 2007, Zeno wrote in the 28th comment:
Starting from stock yields the same outcome. Removing old stuff, heavily modifying existing code.

But you won't be a near-copy of the dozens of other DBSaga MUDs out there. That's the point.
13 Sep, 2007, Kjwah wrote in the 29th comment:
Zeno said:

But you won't be a near-copy of the dozens of other DBSaga MUDs out there. That's the point.

However, it's a DBZ MUD and it will always be a copy of other DBZ MUDs no matter the base. It's up to the people coding and building the MUD to make it a truly custom experience as far as the theme goes.
13 Sep, 2007, Zeno wrote in the 30th comment:
it will always be a copy of other DBZ MUDs no matter the base

That isn't true at all. Just because you gain PL doesn't mean it's a copy of every single MUD that you gain PL in. There's nothing stopping a MUD from creating their own unique skills, and not ones from DBZ. Be creative. Thus, it won't be a copy.
13 Sep, 2007, Kjwah wrote in the 31st comment:
Zeno said:
it will always be a copy of other DBZ MUDs no matter the base

That isn't true at all. Just because you gain PL doesn't mean it's a copy of every single MUD that you gain PL in. There's nothing stopping a MUD from creating their own unique skills, and not ones from DBZ. Be creative. Thus, it won't be a copy.

Yeah, but do you really need to start from stock? I could say, "Be creative, write your own codebase from scratch. Otherwise it will be the same as everyone's MUD that starts with that base.".

I get what you're saying but at the same time there's not a reason to start from stock if the underlining system is already there. I'm not suggesting that they don't tailor a lot of the core systems and spells for their DBZ MUD to make it more original. I guess I'm just getting at just because it's based off of a popular DBZ codebase doesn't mean that it has to end up the same as every other DBZ MUD based on it. :D If that was the case, all these Diku/Merc/RoM MUDs that are quite different would actually all be pretty close to the same and unoriginal. :p If that makes any sense.. I am not that great at communicating.. lol
13 Sep, 2007, Zeno wrote in the 32nd comment:
If that was the case, all these Diku/Merc/RoM MUDs that are quite different would actually all be pretty close to the same and unoriginal.

That isn't true. In the case of DBZ, it's one theme and meant for that theme. For Diku/etc, many people have used it and changed the theme. For example, a Dragon Ball Theme. Thus it changes completely, unlike starting from DBZ and staying DBZ.

Using DBSaga means you are going to stick to most of the code. If you are going to make a ton of changes and removals, might as well go with stock. Why? Because the removals you're making of DBSaga are taking you right back to stock.

I'm not saying you need to start from stock. I'm saying that it is my opinion to do that.
20.0/32