26 Oct, 2008, Runter wrote in the 21st comment:
Votes: 0
Yeah, andLinux puts cygwin to shame. I think it takes 256M dedicated memory when it is running, though.
26 Oct, 2008, The_Fury wrote in the 22nd comment:
YEs it does, well actually you can allocate up to 512 megs of memory during install, and as i have 4gigs memory thats not a lot to lose.
26 Oct, 2008, Runter wrote in the 23rd comment:
I personally have it set up with 512Ms myself.
29 Oct, 2008, Kjwah wrote in the 24th comment:
I might have to try this andLinux thing out.. Well, after I try out PC-BSD.

What's everyone using? The xfce or kde version? I was downloading the kde version but am waiting until after I try out PC-BSD.
29 Oct, 2008, Lobotomy wrote in the 25th comment:
I'd also be interested to hear more personal experiences with using andLinux (and any other similar methods or software), as the host I've been developing my code on (FrostMUD) is now dead, leaving me with no viable shell to use for development. I've used Cygwin in the past and I'd rather not go back to it, honestly.

:thinking:
29 Oct, 2008, The_Fury wrote in the 26th comment:
Kjwah said:
I might have to try this andLinux thing out.. Well, after I try out PC-BSD.

What's everyone using? The xfce or kde version? I was downloading the kde version but am waiting until after I try out PC-BSD.

I use the KDE version. The difference between both is rather superficial and amounts to more or less what kicker you get and what is installed by default, as it uses the windows subsystem as the desktop and window decorations.. For someone with a fair understanding of linux i would say use the Xfce version as it is lighter and faster to download and install, with the caveat being you need to install all the dev tools with synaptic/apt-get.

Lobotomy said:
I'd also be interested to hear more personal experiences with using andLinux (and any other similar methods or software), as the host I've been developing my code on (FrostMUD) is now dead, leaving me with no viable shell to use for development. I've used Cygwin in the past and I'd rather not go back to it, honestly.

I don't know what exactly you want to heard about, but i use Kdevelop, C, Subversion and Konsole to develop my game and just recently i took to installing apache and friends to develop a new website locally to make sure its what i want etc before putting it on my VPS and i also use Kate and Konquerer often as well. Andlinux is linux, pure and simple and can do everything your old host could and much more without the cygwin hassles, all while working within your standard windows desktop. Linux power within windows, what more could you ask for. The download is small and is well worth the effort to what is essentially a full Linux server running Nativity within windows.
30 Oct, 2008, Kjwah wrote in the 27th comment:
Weird, got the option to use 1GB of memory for the KDE beta 1.

Maybe it's based on how much you have(though, someone else here has 4GB as I do and got 512mb option). Maybe it's because I run server 2008(Well, when I am in windows. :p)?

Maybe it's just an updated version.. :p
30 Oct, 2008, The_Fury wrote in the 28th comment:
Kjwah said:
Weird, got the option to use 1GB of memory for the KDE beta 1.

Maybe it's based on how much you have(though, someone else here has 4GB as I do and got 512mb option). Maybe it's because I run server 2008(Well, when I am in windows. :p)?

Maybe it's just an updated version.. :p

I was working off memory its been a while since i installed Andlinux fresh and recall selecting 512 megs as i felt anything mroe was overkill for my needs, so getting 1gig is not out of the question.
30 Oct, 2008, Zeno wrote in the 29th comment:
Lobotomy said:

You do qualify for zeno.biyg.org free MUD hosting. :P
30 Oct, 2008, tphegley wrote in the 30th comment:
Zeno said:
Lobotomy said:

You do qualify for zeno.biyg.org free MUD hosting. :P

And I must say that Zeno has an excellent server and is very helpful with getting everything set up if you need it.
22 Feb, 2009, grimswitch wrote in the 31st comment:
Hmmm, I'm glad I found this.

I have been browsing mudbytes/mudconnect/lpmuds.net/etc. for quite some time, but never really bothered to register and post. I'm more of a listener.

As most know, Slayn went down a while back, and I had been utilizing the free hosting service provided there. So lately I've been looking for another free hosting service while considering my other options, and I think I might try out Zeno's. It's a shame I haven't contributed much. ;)

Anyway, my local linux box crashed a while back, and I've been either too busy or too broke to repair it. While I plan on running a codebase off-site for play, I do enjoy having a local version to develop (at least some things like experimental code) on. I'm downloading andLinux now; seems like it might be a really convenient solution!

Anyway, thanks for the link. I'll let you guys know how it works out for me. (Gotta' get that post count.. ;)
23 Feb, 2009, grimswitch wrote in the 32nd comment:
1) I realize I've now double posted in two threads. If this bothers somebody, I'm sorry.

2) Ol' Crat pointed out that I necro'd. Not intentional, I just need to get in the habit of looking at post dates on mudbytes. For this, I apologize.
23 Feb, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 33rd comment:
Thread necro is ok if an interesting contribution is being made. Thread necro is less ok for "me too" posts. :wink: Thread necro for empty posts is just, err, bizarre. :tongue:
24 Feb, 2009, grimswitch wrote in the 34th comment:
The empty post was technical error.

..and the necroing of this thread was arguably more than just a "me too" post. I was making a legitimate declaration of gratitude for the posting of a link to andLinux, so as to promote future contributions of similar nature.

I was genuinely appreciative of that link, and think it's a positive thing to express gratitude that may encourage people to continue posting in such a manner. :)
24 Feb, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 35th comment:
I wasn't telling you that your necro was bad, I was saying when thread necro is bad since you were apologizing for what seemed to be an ok necro. :smile:
24 Feb, 2009, Fizban wrote in the 36th comment:
DavidHaley said:
I wasn't telling you that your necro was bad, I was saying when thread necro is bad since you were apologizing for what seemed to be an ok necro. :smile:

Are you scaring away the new members again? What did i tell you about taking my job? :smirk:
20.0/36