14 Sep, 2023, Skol wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
I remember a mud called 'Autumn Twilight' back some 20 years or so.
When you entered a room from outside if it was raining, the wind/water would follow you in. Or snow drifts, or warm breeze etc.

Has anyone done much with Diku-line weather programming?
I know it's mainly 'nuance' stuff, but I'd like to look into it and seeing if someone built the car yet before I start carving out a wheel or 4 :).

Thanks!
25 Sep, 2023, Davion wrote in the 2nd comment:
Votes: 1
Hey Skol! Thanks for keeping things going!

As cool as this sounds I'm really interested to see how a MUD can integrate an AI.

KaVir probably got closer to anyone to auto-generating room descriptions but I think now is the time to take to to the next level. I'm contemplating spending some time with PYOM to get something visible. It'd be even super cool to have an AI assistant while playing a MUD.

Maybe a weather pattern designed and maintained by some form of machine learning.
07 Dec, 2023, Daemoen wrote in the 3rd comment:
Here's another way you could do it…
Add an entry to each area that defines a 'weather region'. Have a struct that takes all of the regions, and maps those to a real place…. like if you have a frigid wasteland, you could grab somewhere in Russia/Canada/Alaska or the northern/southern hemispheres. You could do a lookup against a weather service for the regions and simulate the weather based on the predictive forecast engines… would be one way of making it pretty dynamic…
04 Jan, Skol wrote in the 4th comment:
Hey Davion!
I love the concept, I've actually used AI to write for me heh. Both code (mostly tables) and descriptions of rooms/mobs etc.
Been great, not sure I'd want to go full 'T1000 at the helm' heh.
Great thought though (rolling back to weather).
Have sector vs sector day/night/weather etc as people come into/leave rooms.
City to inside (no door): Skol walks/skids (non/hasted) into the room dripping from the rainstorm outside.

Could be a great way to approach it with variables put in.

Have you seen KaVir? I haven't talked to him in ages, and actually was looking for him lol!
I'm trying to see if he made a base Mudlet GUI (I'd seen his great work in Mushclient, saw his blog but no download for Mudlet).
04 Jan, Skol wrote in the 5th comment:
Daemoen said:
Here's another way you could do it…
Add an entry to each area that defines a 'weather region'. Have a struct that takes all of the regions, and maps those to a real place…. like if you have a frigid wasteland, you could grab somewhere in Russia/Canada/Alaska or the northern/southern hemispheres. You could do a lookup against a weather service for the regions and simulate the weather based on the predictive forecast engines… would be one way of making it pretty dynamic…

Sick thought, I've been leaning that way too!
We already have regions in, as well as 'room types' desert, tundra/icefields, forests etc.
We have 3 moons, and I'm thinking about trying to figure out tides (rofl, the authors didn't even address that in DragonLance).
Love the thought man, thanks!
6 days, 12 hours ago, Nathan wrote in the 6th comment:
There's really no need to rely on real world data when you can just model a world of whatever sort you like. Just have weather that materializes or dissipate and travel in some fashion from one place to another.
0.0/6