14 Sep, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 21st comment:
Votes: 0
Varmel said:
Some spam bots seem to be able to handle that as well.

Yes, well, oh no. Get rid of them when they sign up. I mean really, is TMC fighting off the barbarian, err I mean, spammer hordes at the gate?
15 Sep, 2008, lspiderl wrote in the 22nd comment:
Lobotomy said:
lspiderl said:
botters and spamers are easly stopped by requiring admin aproval for free email accounts

Slowed, but not stopped. For all intents and purposes, however, TMC only has one admin so something like that wouldn't actually be practical. Not that it would be for any forum anyways. That would be even more frustrating than the current system, to be perfectly honest. Having to track down an obscure and/or paid email service to use to bypass the blacklist is a trivial matter that can be done in one's own time. Having to wait for approval by someone else, however, can take any amount of time from hours to days. I'd rather not have to wait that long just to get a mere forum account.

and id rather not deal with the inconvence of having to MAKE a completely new email adress jsut to register on one forum
15 Sep, 2008, Zeno wrote in the 23rd comment:
Then don't.
15 Sep, 2008, Fizban wrote in the 24th comment:
Zeno said:
Then don't.

Cratylus said:
You don't. Free country, man.

Exactly. No one is making you register on TMC. If you don't like TMC's policy about registration I'm afraid to tell you but you're complaining to the wrong community. I very highly doubt Andrew (Icculus) reads these forums and as such complaining about TMC's policy here will do you no good. If your aim is to actually have something done about and not just whine email him at admin@mudconnect.com.
15 Sep, 2008, Conner wrote in the 25th comment:
I suppose you could always try SpamGourmet, it might not be blacklisted yet… course, then you'd be creating a new email address for each forum or other site that you wanted to register at, but it'd at least be one that was intended to be disposable… :lol:
16 Sep, 2008, effigies wrote in the 26th comment:
gmail works even today, just FYI
16 Sep, 2008, Chris Bailey wrote in the 27th comment:
I wasn't even aware of this. My account on TMC was made about 10 years ago before they had this system in place. I have however run into this problem on several M**'s I have tried to play and it has proven very irritating. I chose to handle my dislike for it by not registering on those muds. =)
16 Sep, 2008, lspiderl wrote in the 28th comment:
Chris Bailey said:
I wasn't even aware of this. My account on TMC was made about 10 years ago before they had this system in place. I have however run into this problem on several M**'s I have tried to play and it has proven very irritating. I chose to handle my dislike for it by not registering on those muds. =)

i cerntainly follow that route with muds that do that however TMC is a major mud site and mud advertising site , probably the largest and most well know mud site around , and to be limited like that is ,to say the least, most irritating
16 Sep, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 29th comment:
I think by this point it has been made very clear that lspiderl finds it annoying and everybody else thinks it's mostly a non-issue. So I make a motion to leave it be for now unless new material comes up. :rolleyes:
16 Sep, 2008, lspiderl wrote in the 30th comment:
DavidHaley said:
I think by this point it has been made very clear that lspiderl finds it annoying and everybody else thinks it's mostly a non-issue. So I make a motion to leave it be for now unless new material comes up. :rolleyes:

i wouldnt say that everyone thinks its a non issue considering many people agreed with me
however unless someone knows the owner of TMC personaly and can attempt to change his mind i dont see how furrther dicussion on the topic is realy nessisary
17 Sep, 2008, Hades_Kane wrote in the 31st comment:
lspiderl said:
Chris Bailey said:

i cerntainly follow that route with muds that do that however TMC is a major mud site and mud advertising site , probably the largest and most well know mud site around , and to be limited like that is ,to say the least, most irritating

I wouldn't really consider it a limitation if there are quite easy ways to get around it. Several suggestions have already been made that would allow you to be registered on the site with only a minimal amount of effort. At this point, it isn't TMC's limitation, but your own.

lspiderl said:
DavidHaley said:

i wouldnt say that everyone thinks its a non issue considering many people agreed with me
however unless someone knows the owner of TMC personaly and can attempt to change his mind i dont see how furrther dicussion on the topic is realy nessisary

Have you tried emailing him and discussing this with him personally? I don't think you need to know him personally to try to get him to change his mind… a simple email might do the trick.
18 Sep, 2008, Conner wrote in the 32nd comment:
Hades_Kane said:
lspiderl said:

Have you tried emailing him and discussing this with him personally? I don't think you need to know him personally to try to get him to change his mind… a simple email might do the trick.

Especially if the email came from a non-free account. :wink: :lol:
18 Sep, 2008, lspiderl wrote in the 33rd comment:
Conner said:
Hades_Kane said:
lspiderl said:

lol

too funny

as for emailing him i did that weeks ago from my YAHOO email and as expected it was ignored :(
18 Sep, 2008, Fizban wrote in the 34th comment:
If it was ignored I am willing to bet it was because it was 'whiny'. That's honestly the way most of this thread has come across. I have emailed Icculus several times and never not gotten a polite response within 10 hours.
18 Sep, 2008, Guest wrote in the 35th comment:
I've emailed him before too, and sometimes not even in a friendly tone, and have always received an answer one way or the other.

If he's taken steps to block registration from free mail accounts then it's also possible he's taken similar steps to filter them out of his inbox as well.
18 Sep, 2008, Skol wrote in the 36th comment:
Ditto on emailing Andy, he usually replies pretty quickly.
18 Sep, 2008, Conner wrote in the 37th comment:
lspiderl said:
Conner said:

lol

too funny

as for emailing him i did that weeks ago from my YAHOO email and as expected it was ignored :(

I'm glad to see that my unrestrainable attempt at semi-serious humor wasn't lost on you. It was said very much tongue-in-cheek, but at the same time, as Samson pointed out, it's not at all unreasonable to speculate that Andy may have similiar filters on his personal email as those he's applied to his site registration system.

It's also funny that you should say that it was your yahoo account because I paid, for years, for my yahoo email account (if just to be able to use my own client rather than a web interface to deal with my email) so it wasn't a free account despite the fact that I could have gotten an account for free there if I stayed restricted to the web interface and other limitations (many of which have expanded considerably over the years).

I'll have to agree with Fizban, Samson, and Skol about Andy (Icculus) responding to emails though. In the past I've communicated with him by email about several matters and I've always found him to be very polite, very friendly/easy-going, very knowlegable and helpful, and very timely in his responsiveness; irregardless of which of my accounts I was mailing him from or what it was about. On the other hand, I also try not to whine at folks in general since I find whining to be so obnoxious myself. (No offense intended, and not saying that you were whining in your email or here, per se, though, to be sure you could've handled this thread better from what I read along the way. But at this point, I'm just trying to state facts as I see them with regard to communication with Andy.)
18 Sep, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 38th comment:
Conner said:
irregardless of which of my accounts I was mailing him from or what it was about.

Indeed, it is irregardless – only the non-free ones worked. :wink:

It's also possible that if the email was not written very carefully, he might have dismissed it. I tend to when I get email from people I've never heard of and who aren't saying something I need/want to hear.
18 Sep, 2008, Hades_Kane wrote in the 39th comment:
Skol said:
Ditto on emailing Andy, he usually replies pretty quickly.

Ditto.
18 Sep, 2008, sasuke wrote in the 40th comment:
Fizban said:
Exactly. No one is making you register on TMC. If you don't like TMC's policy about registration I'm afraid to tell you but you're complaining to the wrong community. I very highly doubt Andrew (Icculus) reads these forums and as such complaining about TMC's policy here will do you no good. If your aim is to actually have something done about and not just whine email him at admin@mudconnect.com.

I totally agree. If you have a problem with TMC's policy you should email and ask about. Even if it is just to ask about creating an
account using a free email service, I'd rather do that then use someone elses domain (didnt someone offer to do this?) and potentially get the
domain blacklisted as well.
20.0/47