25 Sep, 2008, niori wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
I need help. 2 questions.
Firstly, I just got done downloading andlinux, and am wanting to set it up to host a MUD so that i can practice building while the MUD that i currently build on is down for whatever reason. which would be better for this… andlinux or cygwin?

and secondly, would anyone be willing to help me set up one or the other so that i can?
25 Sep, 2008, Chris Bailey wrote in the 2nd comment:
andLinux is better in my opinion. As far as helping you set it up…why don't you browse through the installation tutorial at the andLinux website?
25 Sep, 2008, niori wrote in the 3rd comment:
hmmm… might help if i saw that before i posted. lol. thank you for the help. i'll give you an update as to how it goes when i'm done… and may also need some help getting the MUD set up. if so, this will be the first place i turn to
25 Sep, 2008, The_Fury wrote in the 4th comment:
I would say use andlinux as well, it is much better than cygwin in many ways, setting it up is as easy as running the install program and clicking yes assuming you downloaded the KDE version the only things you need to install are Gdb, if you chose XFCE then you will need to install Gcc, the Dev libraries and Gdb, along with any other software you may need.
25 Sep, 2008, niori wrote in the 5th comment:
ok, apparently i installed the XFCE version. should i uninstall, and get the KDE version then? from the sounds of it, that would make less work that i would have to do instead of downloading x amount of files, and running/installing them all. this way i would only have to uninstall it, reinstall the KDE version, and then get the gdb… by the way, where would i find that at? would it be on the andlinux website?
25 Sep, 2008, niori wrote in the 6th comment:
well, i didn't know this untill just now, but the codebase that i have downloaded already came with instructions for setting it up with cygwin. so i'm going to try that, and see how it goes. i've tried it before, but i didn't have instructions for it at the time, so i was just going off of what little i could find for it on the internet. but if it gives me any more problems, as i said before, this will be my first stop.

once again, i would like to say thank you chris, and thank you fury for your help :)
25 Sep, 2008, The_Fury wrote in the 7th comment:
niori said:
ok, apparently i installed the XFCE version. should i uninstall, and get the KDE version then? from the sounds of it, that would make less work that i would have to do instead of downloading x amount of files, and running/installing them all. this way i would only have to uninstall it, reinstall the KDE version, and then get the gdb… by the way, where would i find that at? would it be on the andlinux website?

If you have it, just open synaptic and install the required bits and pieces that you require.
25 Sep, 2008, Chris Bailey wrote in the 8th comment:
Like fury said…I have andLinux on my laptop and use the XFCE version. It comes with the synaptic package manager so you have a GUI to guide your through any required downloads/upgrades.
25 Sep, 2008, niori wrote in the 9th comment:
The_Fury said:
niori said:

If you have it, just open synaptic and install the required bits and pieces that you require.

Chris Bailey said:
Like fury said…I have andLinux on my laptop and use the XFCE version. It comes with the synaptic package manager so you have a GUI to guide your through any required downloads/upgrades.

well, like i said in my previous post. i didnt know but the codebase that i got had instructions that came with it for cygwin. i installed cygwin via the instructions from the codebase, and i had 0 problems. only thing i didnt do right away that the instructions told me to do was the ./startup to get it up and running. but it's working just fine now.
25 Sep, 2008, Chris Bailey wrote in the 10th comment:
Ok, I'm glad you got everything running. Good luck!
25 Sep, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 11th comment:
Most codebases have generic instructions that will work on Linux in general. Chances are that those would work with andLinux as well. I've never played with andLinux – I run full Linux… – but if what people say about it is correct, it is probably a better solution.
25 Sep, 2008, Fizban wrote in the 12th comment:
Those are linux-aimed instructions they'd have worked just as well in andlinux.
25 Sep, 2008, Fizban wrote in the 13th comment:
Heh, looks like me and Haley posted at the same time.
0.0/13