02 Nov, 2008, Confuto wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
So I'm facing a bit of a conundrum in deciding which codebase I should base my MU* off of. Essentially it boils down to the following:
I want a skill-based combat system - something which is present in a lot of MUD codebases. But:
I don't know enough C to debug code let alone write any for myself.
MUSHCode seems pretty simple and having played around with it a little I'm finding it pretty straight forward.

As I see it, I could probably write a few good features in MUSHCode whereas I'd be entirely reliant on working code snippets if I chose a C/C++ MUD codebase.

So my question really is:
Is it worth going through the hours and hours of annoying MUSHCode that I can forsee being involved in writing a decent skill-based combat system if it means that I can add features I want to the game afterwards? Or is MUSHCoding a skill-based combat system (as I've read somewhere) really that frustrating and difficult that I should go down the MUD path instead?
02 Nov, 2008, Cratylus wrote in the 2nd comment:
Sounds like you're already liking MUSHcode, so it seems like you've pretty much
answered your own question. Anything you do will require a steep learning curve,
and if you're comfy with MUSHcode, then just stick with that.

On the other hand there are other options that do not involve C and already have
skill based combat. LPmuds use LPC to develop the game world, not C, and LPC
is orders of magnitude easier to learn. Not sure how it compares to MUSHcode in
terms of ease of learning, since I don't know MUSHcode.

When someone pleads for coders on their new Diku mud, I sometimes suggest
they read this: http://dead-souls.net/articles/why_ds.ht...

You may find it valuable as well. Dead Souls has skill based
combat built in. Being LPC, it is much easier to learn to code
on than your typical C codebase.

-Crat
http://dead-souls.net
02 Nov, 2008, Confuto wrote in the 3rd comment:
Actually, that looks to be exactly what I'm looking for - a codebase with the more standard features already built in with an easy-to-learn language. I'll definately take a look at Dead Souls, thanks a lot.
02 Nov, 2008, Cratylus wrote in the 4th comment:
I'll definately take a look at Dead Souls, thanks a lot.

Happy to be of service. If you run into problems/questions, feel free to
ask on intermud or on the forum: http://lpmuds.net/forum

I happen to be the maintainer of DS, so please let me know if you feel
there's anything that needs improvement!

-Crat
http://lpmuds.net
04 Nov, 2008, Tyche wrote in the 5th comment:
You might want to take a peek at MOO. There's a good deal of information, tutorials and cores (RPGCore may be something you're looking for) at MOO Resources
04 Nov, 2008, Kelvin wrote in the 6th comment:
On the MUX/MUSH side, I'd highly recommend MUX2 or PennMUSH. MUX2 is superbly maintained and extremely stable, and it has async SQL support. Penn is a little more feature-heavy and has a higher learning curve, but the community is great. Penn currently lacks async SQL, but does have sync SQL available.
04 Nov, 2008, Sandi wrote in the 7th comment:
Confuto said:
So my question really is:
Is it worth going through the hours and hours of annoying MUSHCode that I can forsee being involved in writing a decent skill-based combat system if it means that I can add features I want to the game afterwards? Or is MUSHCoding a skill-based combat system (as I've read somewhere) really that frustrating and difficult that I should go down the MUD path instead?

I wouldn't wish coding a skill-based combat system on anyone. I think you will be well-served by LPC.

However, as it happens, I'm about to do exactly what you suggest. I want a hack and slash "MUD", but I want people to be able to build and script with mushcode, not OLC. I spent the last ten years working with a Merc/ROM derivative, and it feels good to be back to mushcode. :wink:
06 Nov, 2008, Confuto wrote in the 8th comment:
Thanks a lot for all the advice. When I was tinkering with PennMUSH I really took to the way soft-code works quite quickly. Taking a little longer to get my head around LPC and I haven't event looked at the MOO base I've downloaded yet, but it'll all serve as a good learning experience. :)
20 Nov, 2008, RedPyramid wrote in the 9th comment:
Sounds like you're already liking MUSHcode, so it seems like you've pretty much
answered your own question. Anything you do will require a steep learning curve,
and if you're comfy with MUSHcode, then just stick with that.

On the other hand there are other options that do not involve C and already have
skill based combat. LPmuds use LPC to develop the game world, not C, and LPC
is orders of magnitude easier to learn. Not sure how it compares to MUSHcode in
terms of ease of learning, since I don't know MUSHcode.

When someone pleads for coders on their new Diku mud, I sometimes suggest
they read this: http://dead-souls.net/articles/why_ds.ht...

You may find it valuable as well. Dead Souls has skill based
combat built in. Being LPC, it is much easier to learn to code
on than your typical C codebase.

Above was pretty much what seemed to appeal to the same line of advice I was going to hit you up with. If code gets overwhelming you have to do something about it, you know what I mean? I've noticed there have been a ton of people who can really help you on this page, so once you get more familiar with the codebase you're working with, there seems to be someone out there who can zero in on what your specifics are. Okay, haha that was all blind as a bat knowledge.

I personally perfer C, but each type of adventure requires a different standard. C seems to be pretty straight forward to me, but my opinion on that is somewhat biased since it is honestly the only kind of coding I can actually get to work; however, I've noticed that many people have turned to MOO (which makes me chuckle everytime I hear or say it..) :lol: But, I think this will help you because MOO seems to be simple, and well, there are tons of interesting things that can be accomplished here. Below I added a link for more information on MOO.
This is a bit of a read but might give you a good outline of MOO. http://www.hayseed.net/MOO/cbecker_tut.t...
22 Feb, 2009, grimswitch wrote in the 10th comment:
Confuto said:
Thanks a lot for all the advice. Taking a little longer to get my head around LPC and I haven't event looked at the MOO base I've downloaded yet, but it'll all serve as a good learning experience. :)

Congratulations on taking the initiative. Advice is so much more fun to give when people follow it. :)

I'd kind of like to reinforce what Cratylus said, and point out a few things. Dead Souls is probably an excellent choice for you; I don't need to list all the advantages of using that codebase, as Crat has already linked to a page that will explain it better than I could. I would like to point out a huge advantage, and what I would consider to be the selling point in your position…

Dead Souls has a remarkably helpful network of support behind it for the new coder. Definitely check out the forums linked from dead-souls.net, and utilize the various help files mentioned on those pages. In my experience, trying to immediately jump into work on your goals and ideas for a game in a new codebase or language is probably not a success-oriented approach. I would recommend taking your time going through the rich collection of material available, and try things out as you encounter them. I hear some people say they learn well by reading, some people learn better by seeing examples, etc.. In my experience, if a person wants to be a coder/programmer, they're going to learn the most by programming/coding.

When you encounter a new function, or read about some feature in the code, USE IT. Create test objects, change their properties to see what happens. Your bound to screw something up, forget a closing bracket, or make a spelling error when referencing a variable. These are all GREAT opportunities to become familiar with how the Dead Souls (or any server) reacts to certain kinds of errors, what kind of information is supplied for debugging, etc. Don't feel pressured to write perfect code your first try, every time, and do yourself a big favor and USE the information provided.

When you've mastered the basic techniques illustrated in the manuals and such, you'll be able to move on to bigger, newer, exciting problems, and with the understanding of the aforementioned material, it will be much easier for you to get help from other members of the community.

Good luck m8! :)
23 Feb, 2009, grimswitch wrote in the 11th comment:
Also, there are a number of experienced LPC coders developing their own MUDs.

You might try getting involved in a project that is already being worked on, where you may get some direction, guidance, and most of all, have another coder nearby to ask relevant questions and learn from. :)
0.0/11