01 Oct, 2006, Remcon wrote in the 61st comment:
Votes: 0
Lol, from what I have heard yours had way more bugs in it then Thoric's did, so how is his a poor version let alone him being a copycat.

As I have said before chances are that anyone with any common sense that codes something will add someway of data being added/removed/modified in the new code otherwise they wouldn't have created the code to start with. So neither the idea nor everyones Olc is your work. It goes as far back as any game does. So technically you and everyone else would be a copycat beyond the one who originaly came up with the idea.

As far as it being a poor version though I'm not that sure of. It does have it's issues and over time they will all eventually be worked out. If yours was better though chances are people would have already replaced it with your version, and since they haven't I doubt yours is any better.
01 Oct, 2006, Guest wrote in the 62nd comment:
Nope. Not a thief.
01 Oct, 2006, Dragona wrote in the 63rd comment:
locke said:
Well you might fall in love with it if you gave it a look. Download the latest copy:
(Link removed in accordance with Rule 5)

and why would I do that? I just told you that I would never give you credit for anything, therefore if I 'feel in love' with it then I would be stealing your code…
01 Oct, 2006, Remcon wrote in the 64th comment:
Chances are that if Samson hadn't done an Olc from scratch for smaug someone would have. I for one would have, if not by now, I would definaly be starting one today after all this junk.
01 Oct, 2006, Justice wrote in the 65th comment:
locke said:
We agree: but Thoric wrote a poor version of it that is used in his mud. So he's a copycat.

A copycat perhaps, but probably not copying you. I believe richard bartle or ralph koster have mentioned using OLC in their muds during the mid 80's. That would predate your own by several years using your own dating.
01 Oct, 2006, Conner wrote in the 66th comment:
locke said:
Well you might fall in love with it if you gave it a look. Download the latest copy:
(Link removed in accordance with Rule 5)

And maybe that's my loss, but after all this, the only reason I could see to ever download a copy of your code would be to verify that nothing I added into mine was even overly similiar to something in yours.
01 Oct, 2006, Conner wrote in the 67th comment:
Remcon said:
Chances are that if Samson hadn't done an Olc from scratch for smaug someone would have. I for one would have, if not by now, I would definaly be starting one today after all this junk.

I think that, after all this nonsense, if it were to have been determined that Smaug was using Locke's OLC even I'd have already started ripping it out by now in favor of creating my own. We do most of our building offline anyway, so losing OLC wouldn't be nearly as big a deal as it sounds, though I'd still have had to replace it because we do use the online building tools to modify players and things occassionally, but then, even that can all be dealt with offline too.
01 Oct, 2006, Dragona wrote in the 68th comment:
That probably is a very good idea Conner
01 Oct, 2006, Justice wrote in the 69th comment:
locke said:
Remcom's job is to make the best mud he can

Probably not! Remcom's job (if he is even old enough) probably pays him less than $20/hour and has nothing to do with MUD development.

And yours is what? Processing manure in a fertilizer plant?

To be perfectly honest, I wouldn't care if Remcon worked at McDonalds. I have much more respect for him than you. This goes to say that I've seen far more signs of intelligence in ants than I've noted in your comments, arguments, whining, etc…
01 Oct, 2006, Splork wrote in the 70th comment:
Agreed.
02 Oct, 2006, KaVir wrote in the 71st comment:
Samson said:
Do you have a patent on "Online creation tools as used by an online multiplayer text game"? No. So Thoric was free to do exactly what he did. Write himself a custom OLC to avoid the problems your code has and to avoid the constant argument over "You stole my uber OLC!" you've become world famous for.

Also, don't forget that NiMUDs OLC copied ideas from the online creation tools of Hidden Worlds (another Merc mud). There were also many earlier muds (and codebases) which had online creation, at least a couple of which were created in the late 80s and are still going strong today.

So…NiMUD wasn't even the first Merc to have online creation, let alone the first MUD. It didn't invent the idea (just copied it from another mud), and the term "online creation" was already in common use on Diku muds years before NiMUD implemented its own version.

So what is the NiMUD online creation noteworthy for? Well, it may have been the first to use the acronym "OLC" instead of the earlier "OC", and a couple of the more popular modern online creation systems are derived from it.
02 Oct, 2006, Justice wrote in the 72nd comment:
locke said:
You're right, they are not. That would be because they are following copyright laws and the rules that are set on this forum.

Not entirely, they are making up their own version, and its basically 'up to Samson' – the hands-off approach used by Thoric is far more liberal, inviting, and thorough in its cataloging of MUD software.

I'll take this moment to point out that I once asked to get code released on ftp.game.org and was denied because it was not SMAUG or DIKU dirived. This was back in the 90's but… I doubt I'd have that issue here.

As for making up their own version… I'd like to know what legal precident (in any area) you have to say that not redistributing license documentation is legal? Near as I can tell, blatently ignoring the conditions of a licence and claiming the code is yours is copyright infringement.

Unless of course, you can produce legal documentation granting you additional rights to the software, as given by the copyright holders?
60.0/72