15 Feb, 2009, Zenthor wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Hello guys,

I am planning on starting a mud of my own using NakedMud as a code base. I have built on a few muds and have a good idea what I am getting into. I also have decided that I must code myself, though the only languages I know is Basic and Fortran. I have started to learn python from some refference manuals, but it is not going fast 'nough and I have two builders waiting on me. What I was hoping for was someone experience in coding to help me get mud up and running with a simple turn based fighting system(I am hoping this exists), and then maybe helping me as I learn to be head coder. If anyone is interested in helping please let me know.

Thanks for your time,
Zenthor aka Mark
15 Feb, 2009, Kepo wrote in the 2nd comment:
NakedMUD comes with an OLC so your builders can already get to work while you learn more about Python and the codebase. As for your request, I don't think I know enough about NakedMUD's internal workings to help you out. Sorry.
16 Feb, 2009, Idealiad wrote in the 3rd comment:
If you don't know of it already, definitely check out the NakedMUD Yahoo group. You can find a link to it on the NakedMUD homepage. There are also a few manuals there worth reading. Have patience, the skills will come in time.
16 Feb, 2009, ShadowsDawn wrote in the 4th comment:
Yup there's a *lot* of resources for NakedMUD now.

Unofficial website, but recommended by the Developer: http://www.nakedmud.org

It has links to NM stuff. There are IRC logs you could peruse through for past discussions, pastebins of sample code/where we post stuff for the dev to help us. It also links to the official page and Yahoo group.

Best of all is the IRC channel. It's been a little slow as of late due to people being busy, but Geoff Hollis, the dev, pops in almost daily and is always happy to answer questions.

Your builders would do well to learn some python as well, as they can then do a *lot* of things with the code. Day/Night Descs that swap out as supposed to, add 'special' commands for a specific room/mob/item, and all the triggers (mprogs) are python. To be honest, even creation of the rooms and such are python script that are run as you enter them and the likes. The OLC just helps it a fair bit.

I will admit, I have a fair grasp of the internals of NM. However, I don't really have time to work on coding another game.. I barely have time to work on my project. A bit of advice however, take some time to work out your stats/skills system. You can find examples of how to properly add stats/skills to a character/game in the nm.org pastebin. It doesn't set them up for actualy seage, but it gets them added so that you can use them for combat & abilities. The other thing is to work out what kind of combat system you do want, like the mechanics behind it. If you can do both of those the coding will be much easier.
0.0/4