30 Jun, 2009, JohnnyStarr wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
This is taken from merc.h in ROM

So, the following is for Objects, but there is the same for Rooms and Mobs,
Now, is this a way of making hash tables as far as "index" is concerned?

If so, how do these compare to eachother, is it that the "one object" structure is
just to create an object, then the object_index is the structure that is a global list
of them? if so that makes sense, but at the same time its kinda weird, (to me) why
the need to make 2 structures, is it due to the fact that C is more 'bare bones'?

Prototype for an object. 

struct obj_index_data

One object.

struct obj_data
30 Jun, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 2nd comment:
I'm not sure I follow your question… the "bare-bonesedness" of C has little to do with what kind of structures you write in it…?

The idea here in any case is that for every (game) object, you have a "prototype", or canonical/template/standard/whatever, version of the (game) object. But when the (game) object is instantiated into (code) objects, the fields are copied from the prototype (game) object.

If you really want to you can think of the obj_index_data as the "class" and the obj_data as the "instance" of that class, but this is a little too much meta and gets confusing pretty quickly…
30 Jun, 2009, JohnnyStarr wrote in the 3rd comment:
What i meant by the term 'bare bones' more or less meant that I've never seen this done in newer languages and was wondering if it is sort of a workaround or compromise due to the limited use of high-end programming in C.

So, that makes sense, its just kind of weird for me. but thank you very much :smile:

So, if i'm right, if i were to try to loop through the global (game) object list, i would be searching through the object_index?
01 Jul, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 4th comment:
You would or could do the exact same thing in any language… the concept being implemented here is orthogonal to the language itself. You might be getting hung up on the fact that it has the word 'index' in it.

In fairness, have you seen whole MUDs implemented in newer languages to make a good comparison? :wink:
01 Jul, 2009, JohnnyStarr wrote in the 5th comment:
David Haley said:
In fairness, have you seen whole MUDs implemented in newer languages to make a good comparison? :wink:

Ok, i said "limited use of high-end programming in C" which I've read all over the place, including this site. So, I'm just trying to learn here :smirk: I'm not trying to step on anyones toes.
01 Jul, 2009, Runter wrote in the 6th comment:
Just thought I would point out It would have also been fairly easy to simply use obj_data for both prototypes and instantiated objects from those prototypes. Depending on how your own personal implementation it could mean having useless fields in both but not necessarily. I think someone, like David pointed out, wanted a metaclass. And it made sense to create a physical separation of (meta)class from instance.
01 Jul, 2009, Tyche wrote in the 7th comment:
staryavsky said:
So, the following is for Objects, but there is the same for Rooms and Mobs,
Now, is this a way of making hash tables as far as "index" is concerned?

No.
Note there isn't a room_data.

staryavsky said:
If so, how do these compare to eachother, is it that the "one object" structure is
just to create an object, then the object_index is the structure that is a global list
of them?

obj_index_data is the prototype structure used to create instances of objects which are obj_data.
obj_index_data is what is read in from the area files, and/or editted via olc.
obj_data is the actual objects that are created in the game via resets.
01 Jul, 2009, quixadhal wrote in the 8th comment:
To clarify on the history a bit…. In the original DikuMUD, there was a single file for each type of game entity. So, all rooms were in tinyworld.wld, all objects in tinyworld.obj, etc. There was no OLC. When the game booted, it first generated an index of the byte positions within each file where each entry started (the #6320 lines). When you loaded a new object, it did an fseek to that index in the object file and read in what was there, copying it into an obj_index_data structure. At that point, it would allocate a new obj_data structure and do whatever transforms it needed to make it a useable in-game object.

At some point (Merc?) they did away with the indexing and just pre-loaded everything, but the name stuck.

You can watch the old behaviour if you boot up an old Diku, then modify the file while it's running. You'll soon see string corrpution in anything that comes later than what you changed in the file, and eventually it will crash.

EDIT - Oh yeah, it wasn't due to a limit in the langauge… it was done that way because memory used to be extremely limited. Fitting a whole game into less than 4 megs of RAM was a challenge, and it was easier to just keep the index values in memory, and pull them off disk again to do resets.
01 Jul, 2009, JohnnyStarr wrote in the 9th comment:
Thanks quixadhal, that was very helpful. I appreciate you explaining the background as well. So with resets they would pull from disk aye? That
does explain the index, now it was stated by some that it was set up as a meta class, can anyone explain why this would be desired without loading from disk? As in if you were using only dynamic memory? Or is it like Runter pointed out just "personal implementation"?

EDIT:

Oh, ok, sorry i just read Tyche's response, So if the prototype is "Large Sword" That is the prototype that can be replicated into actual usable objects in obj_data. So, the reason there isnt a room_data structure because there's no reason to make instances of the rooms, there are just rooms. But if you have several versions or instances of mobs and objs then on RESET you would want to copy something from the original prototype IE obj_index.

That makes total sense. My bad…
01 Jul, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 10th comment:
staryavsky said:
So, the reason there isnt a room_data structure because there's no reason to make instances of the rooms, there are just rooms. But if you have several versions or instances of mobs and objs then on RESET you would want to copy something from the original prototype IE obj_index.

Not just on reset, but yes, that's the idea.

You don't technically need the separation; you could have special instances that act as prototypes from which you copy values. My code doesn't distinguish between them, at least not as far as the general data structure is concerned.
01 Jul, 2009, Runter wrote in the 11th comment:
staryavsky said:
Oh, ok, sorry i just read Tyche's response, So if the prototype is "Large Sword" That is the prototype that can be replicated into actual usable objects in obj_data. So, the reason there isnt a room_data structure because there's no reason to make instances of the rooms, there are just rooms. But if you have several versions or instances of mobs and objs then on RESET you would want to copy something from the original prototype IE obj_index.

That makes total sense. My bad…

Keep in mind that usually involves having a go-between function that you have to maintain to generate the instance (obj_data) from the pattern (obj_index_data). This technically could be accomplished easier by designing obj_data to dup obj_data's and using a single obj_data as a protected pattern. The difference could simply be a state. (This is particularly useful if you want to be able to use the same editor code on pattern and instantiations.)
01 Jul, 2009, Justice wrote in the 12th comment:
"index" is a bad term. What is actually going on is the obj_index_data describes how an obj_data is instantiated. While obj_data is a single "instance" of it. While not a perfect match, the obj_index_data is sort of a prototype for obj_data. It stores information about how an actual object is created and placed within the game.

You could say that it is somewhere between a prototype and a factory design pattern.

staryavsky said:
of them? if so that makes sense, but at the same time its kinda weird, (to me) why
the need to make 2 structures, is it due to the fact that C is more 'bare bones'?
01 Jul, 2009, Runter wrote in the 13th comment:
Justice said:
"index" is a bad term. What is actually going on is the obj_index_data describes how an obj_data is instantiated. While obj_data is a single "instance" of it. While not a perfect match, the obj_index_data is sort of a prototype for obj_data. It stores information about how an actual object is created and placed within the game.

You could say that it is somewhere between a prototype and a factory design pattern.

staryavsky said:

The same thing can be accomplished with using the prototype and instances of the same type. Eg obj_data for pattern and obj_data for instances.
01 Jul, 2009, Justice wrote in the 14th comment:
Runter said:
The same thing can be accomplished with using the prototype and instances of the same type. Eg obj_data for pattern and obj_data for instances.

Yes, that would be a true prototype, I've used this pattern for a GZ style mud. However, that isn't how DIKU/Merc based muds are written.

That being said, you should consider that using a single class to represent the "factory" and "instance" has some issues. A factory generates some values, and is not simply a prototype. In this circumstance, the "instance" may have values that make no sense to the "factory", such as game state. As such, the values that the factory uses to generate other values will not make sense to the instance.

This may or may not be of any relevance to a particular problem. Additionally, SMAUG uses the "prototype" to store information globally without copying it to each instance. This saves resources, although the effect is limited due to string hashing.
01 Jul, 2009, Runter wrote in the 15th comment:
It's already been made clear by 4 or 5 different people what the prototype code is. I'm pointing out there are other options–and you can still write some function to transfer fields. Yes, diku does a lot of things a certain way. That doesn't discount other options.
01 Jul, 2009, Tyche wrote in the 16th comment:
In Murk++, I renamed them to Object and ObjectPrototype. ObjectPrototype does indeed also serve as an object factory.
You'll notice that the state in ObjectPrototype is the initial state (or a seed for the initial state) of an Object.
While modifying your area files or using OLC changes ObjectPrototype, Objects can be changed by a number of explicit commands like
sset, oset, mset, etc. And Objects state is also changed by the operation of code, like movement between rooms and containers.
Objects minus the differences between the ObjectPrototype is what is stored in Player files. Otherwise Objects are destroyed when the
game goes down or reboots.

That's in the original code mind you, (Murk++ is mostly functionally unchanged Merc 2.2).
Various other derivatives of Merc/Rom may have modifications.
01 Jul, 2009, Justice wrote in the 17th comment:
There is a reason why I stated quite clearly that what DIKU/Merc (being the code in question) uses is somewhere between a prototype and a factory. Then later expanded on what exactly both of these design patterns really are. Which btw, also answers why someone may need a "meta" class. I also explained that obj_index_data performs other roles than simply object instantiation. It also provides a single point of access to centralized data.

What I don't understand is… why do you feel the need to repeat exactly what you've said in post #6?

Runter said:
It's already been made clear by 4 or 5 different people what the prototype code is. I'm pointing out there are other options–and you can still write some function to transfer fields. Yes, diku does a lot of things a certain way. That doesn't discount other options.

Runter said:
Just thought I would point out It would have also been fairly easy to simply use obj_data for both prototypes and instantiated objects from those prototypes. Depending on how your own personal implementation it could mean having useless fields in both but not necessarily. I think someone, like David pointed out, wanted a metaclass. And it made sense to create a physical separation of (meta)class from instance.
01 Jul, 2009, Justice wrote in the 18th comment:
Tyche said:
In Murk++, I renamed them to Object and ObjectPrototype. ObjectPrototype does indeed also serve as an object factory.
You'll notice that the state in ObjectPrototype is the initial state (or a seed for the initial state) of an Object.

That's an interesting way to view things that the prototype is a seed for the initial state. Heh, in my mud I called it item to avoid confusion in what "object" meant in an object oriented language.
0.0/18