12 Aug, 2009, Vermax Hosting wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Due to the recent success of Vermax Hosting, we are now proud to be able to join the large number of Free MUD Hosting Services. We are now offering free accounts to MUD Administrators. Thanks to all of our customers in the past that have made this possible and a special thanks to the MUD Community.

- Vermax Hosting
www.vermaxhosting.com
16 Nov, 2009, Greggles wrote in the 2nd comment:
Yeah the free hosting is nice…but it'd be nicer if the server was actually up
16 Nov, 2009, Mudder wrote in the 3rd comment:
Beggars can't be choosers. :tongue:
16 Nov, 2009, Greggles wrote in the 4th comment:
No they can't but usually when a server is being rebooted you expect a little more warning before hand…and for the server to come back
16 Nov, 2009, Lobotomy wrote in the 5th comment:
Mudder said:
Beggars can't be choosers. :tongue:

That line is the exact same load of bullshit no matter how many times it is said.
16 Nov, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 6th comment:
Well Lobotomy, you get what you pay for. (Or is that the same old load too…? :wink:)
16 Nov, 2009, Lobotomy wrote in the 7th comment:
David Haley said:
Well Lobotomy, you get what you pay for. (Or is that the same old load too…? :wink:)

Of course it is. It's also no surprise to hear it coming from you, Mr "You can't have your cake and eat it too". Go fuck off with the rest of the nay-sayers.
16 Nov, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 8th comment:
Lobotomy said:
David Haley said:

Of course it is. It's also no surprise to hear it coming from you, Mr "You can't have your cake and eat it too". Go fuck off with the rest of the nay-sayers.

Err…what?
16 Nov, 2009, Dean wrote in the 9th comment:
Err.. what? Indeed.
16 Nov, 2009, Cratylus wrote in the 10th comment:
what?

I believe Lobotomy is in some sort of disagreement with something.

-Crat
16 Nov, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 11th comment:
Oh Crat, I should bring you with me everywhere as a dedicated interpreter of other people's feelings. :rolleyes:
16 Nov, 2009, Cratylus wrote in the 12th comment:
David Haley said:
Oh Crat, I should bring you with me everywhere as a dedicated interpreter of other people's feelings. :rolleyes:

I sense…no..no, nevermind. I think my sarcastrometer must be blown…these
readings are off the charts.
16 Nov, 2009, Hades_Kane wrote in the 13th comment:
Lobotomy: This is an official warning, that type of unprovoked outburst is unwelcome, and falls under a breach of the rules:
"No harassment. This includes but is not limited to: "trolling", "flaming", and antagonizing others for your own amusement. "
16 Nov, 2009, Mudder wrote in the 14th comment:
Yeah a bit out of proportion to say the least. I would normally respond, but well… Instead I will just post this.

Nevermind. I will respond. Free hosting is a favor. They don't get much out of it. When someone helps you do something as a favor, you don't get angry when or if things don't turn out perfect. Unless you just never want anyone to do a favor for you again, because that is what will eventually happen.
16 Nov, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 15th comment:
Even if hosting is free, it would obviously be nice if the host gave warning about things like reboots and other major changes, and you should avoid a free host that is demonstrably unreliable. But, well, one should never expect one's free hosting to stay around forever, unless you have reason to believe that the host is in fact reliable. Zeno, for example, has shown himself to be a reliable and responsive host, but even then one should not treat his hosting service as a production environment, or even have an expectation that it will be around forever. Expecting somebody to provide high reliability for free is a little rude IMO; it's a good illustration of getting an inch for free and then demanding even more as a granted 'right' instead of as a kind service. If you aren't willing to live with hiccups, then pay for that protection or manage your own hosting.
Ah well.
16 Nov, 2009, Mudder wrote in the 16th comment:
17 Nov, 2009, Runter wrote in the 17th comment:
I dunno. I think it depends on the context. For example, here, the op is projecting themselves as a legitimate, responsible host looking for more "customers." I would expect better than terrible conditions with such a host. Even for free. Although I agree. If you want real service just cough up those mega-bux.

Also on a related subject, I think anyone who wants a shell to hack some code would do well to figure out a way to run/test on their own box. There's a lot of Linux options even for windows users. And there's a lot of programming options within windows itself. Many languages are cross platform portable by nature.
17 Nov, 2009, tphegley wrote in the 18th comment:
One thing I did was try vmware and had a ubuntu setup on my windows computer. my problem was that my computer wasn't able to run it very well since it's very old. But that's a great place to start I believe. I have eventually just shelled up the money for a linode account the past year now. I like the fact that I can pretty much do whatever I want on it and have the freedom to do it. I have enjoyed Linode immensely and recommend it to anyone who would like to try their hand in owning a server.
17 Nov, 2009, Zeno wrote in the 19th comment:
So when did this host "reboot" and how long has it been down?
17 Nov, 2009, JohnnyStarr wrote in the 20th comment:
If you're going to do any *nix development, personally I prefer setting up something from home.
Of course, I'm a windows fan for personal use, so I use Cygwin with an SSH. This way I can use
Putty from any of my computers, although, I do have like 5 PCs, so I guess it would depend, but still,
once you set up the daemon, you don't have to devote the serving computer to linux or something.
0.0/24