17 Nov, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 21st comment:
Votes: 0
I have one of my computers always on as a file server, so I can talk to it via NFS from my Linux boxes and via Samba from the Windows laptop. This means that I can leave development files on the file server and talk to them from everywhere. I need to be a little careful with compiled object files because obviously Windows and Linux can't share them, but generally it works out ok.

If it gets too annoying for all setups to share the same space, I can store the projects locally but use version control across the various computers (again with the repo stored on the file server) to keep things in sync. This can be annoying too, though, because I have to remember which computer had the uncommitted changes I wanted to finish after switching computers…
17 Nov, 2009, Kline wrote in the 22nd comment:
I keep VCS on an external host (that I own/pay for hosting on) so I can work anyplace I have net access – I travel a lot. I SSH the remote box, pull the latest VCS, work, etc while on the road.

At home I have a Linux server used for testing/dev/file server that I just SSH into across my LAN.
17 Nov, 2009, Tyche wrote in the 23rd comment:
Since 2002, I've run all my servers on Windows. I've had two operating system crashes, one in October 2002 on XP and one earlier this year in April on Vista.
The biggest problem for me has been power outages since I live in a rural area. I really ought to buy a generator.
17 Nov, 2009, quixadhal wrote in the 24th comment:
I keep my stuff on an old linux server with software RAID 1 on a pair of antique 40G drives. It used to be a single drive, but the controller board (on the drive itself) fried last year and after digging around and finding a replacement (swapped boards), I decided a mirror setup wasn't a bad idea.

Of course, stuff that I'm working on for more than a few minutes at a time, I usually launch a VM on my much faster desktop and then sync the SVN repository, work on it until I'm done, and resync it back again. Much faster compiles, and an added bonus that I can test 64-bit compatibility too.

Were I to want to run a real production MUD again, I'd probably just upload the data files and executables, even if I had a full shell account… just because it's more convenient to compile at home, and probably more considerate to the host as well (or cheaper, if you're paying for CPU use).

My desktop runs Windows 7. Prior to that it ran XP. The only times I've ever had a full OS crash have been due to driver bugs, typically in the sound card, and generally while playing games. I don't play games on server machines… well…. except maybe nethack. :)
20.0/24