14 May, 2007, kikyo wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Ok I am very new to using Cygwin and someone told me I could get it running a mud off of my home pc. I dont have the internet at home because I had just moved and we are still catching up on the new bills and won't have it for a while so I wanted to work on my mud offline. using cygwin since its a free program but I have no idea how to use it so I am hopeing u all can help me out.A few questions I have:

Do I need the internet to do so…
How would I compile the mud code using cygwin.
How would I start it up and asssign it a site and port
What would I use to log on to the code…
Does cygwin need to be open at all times for this to work?
What would I type to get it started?

If you all could help I would be very happy. thanks in advance.
14 May, 2007, Zeno wrote in the 2nd comment:
These should help:

http://www.gammon.com.au/smaug/howtocomp...
http://www.gammon.com.au/smaug/installin...

You don't need to internet to run a MUD, but in order for other people to connect you need it.

But I'm confused. In your other thread, you said you knew the basics. These are the basics of the basics.
14 May, 2007, kikyo wrote in the 3rd comment:
first off compiling on cygwin and a regular mud shell is 2 different things. but thx anywayz
14 May, 2007, syn wrote in the 4th comment:
You wouldn't assign a site and port to cygwin, the MUD would inherit your computers IP and the port that you have assigned in the code. Beyond that to have outside people connect, you would need the internet obviously.

If you want to learn cygwin you can do some simple searches through google and the like and get alot of information that way.

You would also use whatever telnet program you like to use just connect to your own ip:(port assigned)
14 May, 2007, Zeno wrote in the 5th comment:
kikyo said:
first off compiling on cygwin and a regular mud shell is 2 different things. but thx anywayz

No, it's not. Cygwin may be a linux emulator, but you still have gcc, make etc.
15 May, 2007, Conner wrote in the 6th comment:
kikyo said:
Ok I am very new to using Cygwin and someone told me I could get it running a mud off of my home pc. I dont have the internet at home because I had just moved and we are still catching up on the new bills and won't have it for a while so I wanted to work on my mud offline. using cygwin since its a free program but I have no idea how to use it so I am hopeing u all can help me out.A few questions I have:

Do I need the internet to do so…
How would I compile the mud code using cygwin.
How would I start it up and asssign it a site and port
What would I use to log on to the code…
Does cygwin need to be open at all times for this to work?
What would I type to get it started?

If you all could help I would be very happy. thanks in advance.

• No, you don't need internet to work on your mud locally.

• Once cygwin is fully installed (including GCC or G++) you'd type (from the src directory)
    make clean
    the first time you compile and anytime you change a file that has an h for an extension and
    make
    any other time you need to compile.

• How you start it up probably amounts to running the included startup script, but it really depends on which codebase you are using, which you haven't specified. As to how to assign the site/port, your site is already assigned by your ISP and you assign the port differently for different codebases, most are as simple as running your startup script with the port number as an argument or with the port number specified in the startup script, but some are hard coded elsewhere.

• Your favorite mud client, or even telnet.

• I think so, but I don't know for sure because I do't use cygwin since I setup a linux box as a server years ago.

• Didn't I already answer this three points ago?

• Zeno said:
    kikyo said:

No, it's not. Cygwin may be a linux emulator, but you still have gcc, make etc.

Actually, you're just showing your ignorance now, Kikyo. The whole point of installing cygwin is to run it as a linux emulator, in other words, to make your windows machine work as if you were running linux, so it is absolutely identical to using a hosted shell for your mud except that it's on your local windows box running under cygwin instead of running remotely under a real linux installation.

What you've told us here is tantamount to posting to a typical tech support forum somewhere:
    "I know all about computers and only need technical help on a few points, but I can't quite figure out what these setup instructions that came with my new e-machine mean when they say that I need to plug the main black power cord's other end (that's not plugged into my power supply in the machine itself) into the electral outlet. So, why won't my machine power up?"
    You'll have to expect a wee bit of taunting over it. :wink:
    Personally, I think you're lucky Zeno caught it first, he's much nicer about how he phrases such things than several other of our members would've been.
    15 May, 2007, Metsuro wrote in the 7th comment:
    You know guys, for some reason I always thought cygwin was a unix emu not a linux?
    15 May, 2007, Zeno wrote in the 8th comment:
    Meh, it's actually not linux or unix. It's sort of like a bunch of GNU tools in one. I normally say *nix emulator.
    15 May, 2007, Conner wrote in the 9th comment:
    Metsuro said:
    You know guys, for some reason I always thought cygwin was a unix emu not a linux?

Same difference overall, no?

Zeno said:
    Meh, it's actually not linux or unix. It's sort of like a bunch of GNU tools in one. I normally say *nix emulator.

See, close enough. :wink:
    15 May, 2007, Scandum wrote in the 10th comment:
    You need to include the make command as well in the install besides gcc. It's also a good idea to include rxvt for correct terminal emulation, or use cygterm. OpenSSH is also useful to include so you can use ssh and sftp from the command prompt. If you're uncomfortable with the command interface Midnight Commander can be helpful as well.
    15 May, 2007, Tyche wrote in the 11th comment:
    Metsuro said:

Cygwin is a posix emulator! :-)

You are correct in that cygwin is not intended to emulate linux at all.
    15 May, 2007, Scandum wrote in the 12th comment:
    Tyche said:
    Cygwin is a posix emulator! :-)

If you look past the smoke screen and all the huff huff it's just a 1.83 MB dll.
    15 May, 2007, Conner wrote in the 13th comment:
    I never said that Scandum was wrong, Tyche, in fact, just that I don't see a significant difference between emulating linux, emulating unix, and emulating posix. The point is, in this case, solely that using cygwin to compile a mud compared to using a "standard mud shell" to compile a mud should be exactly the same thing with the possible exception that you might need some minor code changes (most likely only in your makefile) for the compile to go correctly under cygwin because most codebases are setup "out of the box" for linux rather than cygwin. Must we really bicker over petty semantics solely to derail the topic? :sad:
    16 May, 2007, kiasyn wrote in the 14th comment:
    i would use a VM instead of cygwin. just cause
    16 May, 2007, Tyche wrote in the 15th comment:
    Scandum said:
    If you look past the smoke screen and all the huff huff it's just a 1.83 MB dll.

Yep. And that's about the same size as a Linux 2.6 kernel.
    16 May, 2007, Tyche wrote in the 16th comment:
    kiasyn said:
    i would use a VM instead of cygwin. just cause

I can run WinXP, Cygwin, Win98, Win95, Gentoo, FreeBSD, Debian, Suse, Redhat, Wine, MVS/SP, OS/390 and Commodore 64 on the same box and all at the same time. The processor starts sweating when I start nesting them. Like when I run Tetris under Wine under Linux/390 under OS/390 under WinXP.

Why? Just cause. ;-)
    16 May, 2007, kiasyn wrote in the 17th comment:
    ;D
    16 May, 2007, Scandum wrote in the 18th comment:
    Conner said:
    Must we really bicker over petty semantics solely to derail the topic? :sad:

Endless bickering over important issues depresses me, so instead I bicker over futilities and charge up on the released negative energy.

Never underestimate the power of the dark side.

Tyche said:
    Scandum said:

Yep. And that's about the same size as a Linux 2.6 kernel.

It's all in the numbers *nods wisely*
    17 May, 2007, kikyo wrote in the 19th comment:
    Ok thank u everyone I figured out why I won't use make. It was because I didn't install all the right files. I kinda feel stupid now but its fixed and I am now working on redoing all of my mud from DBSAGA codebase from scratch so yeah expect alot more questions from me asking help… And again thanks for all your help and if I seemed rude Zeno I am sorry I wasn't trying to be.
    17 May, 2007, Skol wrote in the 20th comment:
    Kikyo, someone's saying unnice things about you on mudconnector, might go look.
    0.0/52