13 Jun, 2007, Davion wrote in the 61st comment:
Votes: 0
Honestly though, based on my experience with Ubuntu 7, I've actually been just on the verge of recommending it to a few non-techy people, including my family. I mean, the fact that there is a GUI for everything, alone, I think makes it worth a shot as opposed to Vista.

I use a NVidia graphics card, and it took quite a bit of hacking at xorg.conf to actually get it to fully function with it. Even more to get TwinView going. Unfortunately if you have a top-of-the-line system, getting Linux to work on it problem-free is not as easy as one would expect. Lots of googling and hours spent with only a terminal and links to get it going. As far as Vista goes… I hear a lot of nae-sayers but has anyone actually used it? I dualboot FC6 and Vista Ultimate 64bit, and I have to say I'm -far- more impressed with Vista than I am of XP. I can't stand XP. And DreamScene makes vista worth it :D. It's a bit weird right now with limited driver support for some of the more obscure hardware components but time will fix that.
13 Jun, 2007, mann_jess wrote in the 62nd comment:
I use a NVidia graphics card,…

Actually, I installed Ubuntu on another machine with Nvidia… so I do know some of the frustration there. However, that's not a "top of the line" thing - In my case, the computer was pretty old - It's really more of a quirk thing.

I still don't think Ubuntu has made it to the point where it's completely on-par with Windows and Mac for the "non-techy" crowd… but my point was that I think it's really getting there. Having installed it on a computer where there wasn't a hardware compatibility problem, I know that it can work *completely* out of the box, and actually be less problematic than Windows.

I just think alot of people "on the border" will convert over because of the issues with Vista. Honestly speaking, you're the only person I've heard good things about it from. And yes, I have used it myself as well. I think I'm going to convert my family this week.

*shrug*

Best of Luck,
-Jess
14 Jun, 2007, Midboss wrote in the 63rd comment:
I'm using Vista right now from my mom's PC, and I have to say I fully support the naysayers after having to get this thing up and running for her. First off, and I don't really blame Vista itself for this, I had to scour the internet for new drivers to get much of the hardware that CAME with this computer working. Then once I got everything up and running, I was completely stunned by how out of whack the form to function ratio in Vista is. And of course, as in most Windows installations, you can crash it by hitting the Enter key too hard. I've reformatted this thing twice already. I'm not saying it's definitely terrible 100% of the time, but I am saying that I've only had bad experiences with it.
14 Jun, 2007, Guest wrote in the 64th comment:
I too have played with Vista on some test machines at work. Even though our company has no plans for a Vista deployment we do have access to advance copies and other perks because of volume licensing. My impressions have been less than stellar. The thing is far more restrictive. The "cancel or allow" BS is annoying as hell when you want to do anything beyond simple web surfing. And though I know it's a more techie thing to pick on, I don't like how defrag won't show you progress and bitches about how you should just let it run silently in the background. All the time. The PC its on always has elevated CPU fan noise and feels overall quite sluggish. And the system was Vista certifed.
14 Jun, 2007, Scandum wrote in the 65th comment:
Samson said:
The "cancel or allow" BS is annoying as hell when you want to do anything beyond simple web surfing.

That's quite easy to disable, google it up if you can't figure it out.

Samson said:
I don't like how defrag won't show you progress and bitches about how you should just let it run silently in the background.

Not too sure about that, I guess you can just schedule it to run once a month and stop worrying about it.

I'm still convinced that Vista will be a short lived OS that will be succeeded in 2 or 3 years.
14 Jun, 2007, Guest wrote in the 66th comment:
I'm not particularly interested in disabling it or googling how. It's not my PC. Even linux boxes don't annoy the user quite that much. I'm sure it goes without saying that I'm not going to be wasting my time with Vista :)
60.0/66