24 Apr, 2010, Parhelion wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Alright, here's the deal. I'm working on my own MUD project with a scratch mudlib on DGD, but until it gets rolling I've got time on hands most weekends. I work a night job that leaves me twiddling my fingers and unable to get to my code. All that free time means I get out of practice, and that's no good for anyone, me especially.

I'm not an expert - don't be fooled. Don't think I'm going to be able to just move in and write you a brand new feature in a week or two; my mudlib project is largely a learning experience, and so is this – but what I do know is that a lot of MUDs are understaffed or they overstaff themselves with builders who don't know what they're doing.

That's where I come in, and its where we can help each other out. You get a little relief and some stuff finished, and I get something to do, a little social networking done, and maybe – if you like what I do – a potential source for future skill trades or mentorship. None of us can do it all.

LP MUDs only unless you're primarily looking for builder or documentation work; I do not have ANY experience working with the RPI Engine or any other codebase.

AIM- Lunar Parhelion
EMAIL - lunar.parhelion@gmail.com
ALTERNATE - parhelion@rpmud.net (use for RPMud correspondance OR as emergency contact if no reply comes from gmail)

Availability:
Mostly weekends (Thursday-Sunday), 8pm-8am Arizona time
Other days variable based on my free time

Specialties / Style:
LPC, C, C++
Descriptive writing (often heavy and thorough)
Thorough code documentation
Design-centric (means I do a lot of pre-thought before writing a single line of code)

Preference:
Mudlibs on the DGD driver, for my own learning experience (for LP-type muds)
No OLC - it drives me batshit, sorry - if I have to learn a scripting language, it must be a C-like (no Python, Ruby, Lua, etc)

Games do not need to be open. I'd prefer to work with RP or RPI-type games where possible, but not required if you've got a touch of originality and a "hook" that convinces me you're going to be around for a while (and thus, my work won't be wasted).

A miscellaneous list of the types of light jobs that I could be useful for include:
+ Sorting through and documenting code
+ Minor bug fixes
+ Doing heavy Quality-Check/Quality-Assurance on building/writing for approval
+ Newbie tutoring for LPC
+ Minor code work
+ Consultation

All work is unique. Writing and areas are given to the MUD in question for their private use, and I will not be expecting an owner's copy. The design and interface for any completed, working coded features actively used by the MUD will also be given to the MUD for their private use; however, I do ask that I am able to keep any code that might be "under the hood." No work comes with guarantee, and I reserve the right to "quit" before completion if real life or interstaff relations become an issue – HOWEVER, I do guarantee that my actions will not create a mess for you and I DO document everything.
04 May, 2010, Sryth wrote in the 2nd comment:
Now see….This makes me wish I was working on a project right now. I'd pick you up in a heartbeat. Unfortunately I'm not, but your post is exactly what administrators look for, informative and sincere. I had to give it kudos.

Edit: One point, you may want to be more open to certain "scripting languages" Ones such as Ruby, Python, Lua… These are scripting yes, but they are very powerful programming languages in their own right, and for a programmer, the language is just a tool in the box, programming thought-patterns are mostly language-agnostic. Learning several languages can easily make you a much better programmer, including working with your language of choice.
04 May, 2010, flumpy wrote in the 3rd comment:
Well I contacted him and not so much as a 'nah, thx'

:(
05 May, 2010, Runter wrote in the 4th comment:
flumpy said:

She doesn't like you.
05 May, 2010, Lyanic wrote in the 5th comment:
Runter said:
flumpy said:

She doesn't like you.

Awwww…..poor flumpy :sad:
05 May, 2010, Tyche wrote in the 6th comment:
flumpy said:

I wouldn't have replied either. It's not like they didn't clearly post their requirements and desired situation.
Playing with Groovy, Ruby, Python, LOLCode obviously does not factor into their plans.
06 May, 2010, Mudder wrote in the 7th comment:
What's wrong with LOLCode? KTHXBYE.
0.0/7