04 Jun, 2010, David Haley wrote in the 21st comment:
Votes: 0
Igabod said:
David Haley said:
of course, some of the people who would be admin vigorously oppose any standards of civility when it comes to swearing, so that's pretty much that.

I've not seen any evidence of this. And there aren't that many admins so you may as well just come out and name the name.

When ifree was originally created and people were told to move swearing there, Kiasyn wasn't exactly happy about it and there was some amount of fallout there.
04 Jun, 2010, Kayle wrote in the 22nd comment:
David Haley said:
When ifree was originally created and people were told to move swearing there, Kiasyn wasn't exactly happy about it and there was some amount of fallout there.

Some amount? He shutdown Megabot and Talon, and left the servers. Because people wanted the swearing moved off the flagship channel of the network. Things like this are why I gave up trying to be the Server02 IMC Admin.
04 Jun, 2010, Hades_Kane wrote in the 23rd comment:
I second the idea of an account settings box to "opt-in" to seeing the IMC chat.

Particularly considering it's unmoderated, external content, I'm not really sure if the possible things that pop up there is what we want new visitors to be seeing upon their first visit here. It's like logging onto a MUD for the first time and seeing profanity or vulgar talk on a public channel… it just doesn't look good for the MUD.

If new accounts had the box unchecked by default, and it only showed on logged in accounts with it checked, I don't think any further censorship or filter or moderation or anything would be necessary.
04 Jun, 2010, JohnnyStarr wrote in the 24th comment:
Hades_Kane said:
I second the idea of an account settings box to "opt-in" to seeing the IMC chat.

Particularly considering it's unmoderated, external content, I'm not really sure if the possible things that pop up there is what we want new visitors to be seeing upon their first visit here. It's like logging onto a MUD for the first time and seeing profanity or vulgar talk on a public channel… it just doesn't look good for the MUD.

If new accounts had the box unchecked by default, and it only showed on logged in accounts with it checked, I don't think any further censorship or filter or moderation or anything would be necessary.

word.
04 Jun, 2010, David Haley wrote in the 25th comment:
To be honest, I'm not entirely sure I see the point of the box in the first place. People who want to follow the conversation will go to the logs or just straight to IMC. The only purpose is serves, really, is to let people know that this thing called IMC exists, but due to the nature of IMC and administration's apparent unwillingness to clean up ichat – and the several complaints about front-page IMC – it might do more harm than good.
04 Jun, 2010, Cratylus wrote in the 26th comment:
Hades_Kane said:

hades quixote tiltin at windmills

People have been griping about the IMC2 header on the front page for a while. Actual complaints.

What happens? Are the concerns seriously addressed?

Of course not. Instead, time and effort is spent on adding a drama-generating tag system.

I mean, I agree with you, but boy, are you guys dreamin.

-Crat
http://lpmuds.net
04 Jun, 2010, Runter wrote in the 27th comment:
David Haley said:
To be honest, I'm not entirely sure I see the point of the box in the first place. People who want to follow the conversation will go to the logs or just straight to IMC. The only purpose is serves, really, is to let people know that this thing called IMC exists, but due to the nature of IMC and administration's apparent unwillingness to clean up ichat – and the several complaints about front-page IMC – it might do more harm than good.

Furthermore, you don't really need to be given a very small out of context insight into the network to be told it exists. They could give a link to the logs and the "join us" type thing either way, too.
04 Jun, 2010, Orrin wrote in the 28th comment:
It seems entirely fitting that a website about MUDs include features that the admin think are cool without any thought to how they actually enhance the user experience. We even have our own tag wars mini game. Neat.
04 Jun, 2010, Runter wrote in the 29th comment:
without any thought to how they actually enhance the user experience.

Mudbytes aims to please. Unfortunately, they only please themselves. :(
04 Jun, 2010, Asylumius wrote in the 30th comment:
I like the IMC box. I don't have a MUD anymore and I don't care enough to login Talon 95% of the time, but I like to see what's up every now and then.

I could care less if the potty mouth gets filtered out or not. If Davion / Kiasyn feel like making the box optional and/or hooking up a profanity filter, great. If not, *shrug*
04 Jun, 2010, David Haley wrote in the 31st comment:
I like the IMC box. I don't have a MUD anymore and I don't care enough to login Talon 95% of the time, but I like to see what's up every now and then.

And you use the three-line box for this and not the logs?
04 Jun, 2010, ATT_Turan wrote in the 32nd comment:
Runter said:
without any thought to how they actually enhance the user experience.

Mudbytes aims to please. Unfortunately, they only please themselves. :(

"I will serve this great nation at my own pleasure, and one thing I have proven is that you can count on me to pleasure myself." - Iron Man
04 Jun, 2010, Koron wrote in the 33rd comment:
If you swear a lot, you could always opt out of the megabot logging to avoid this drama. :devil:
04 Jun, 2010, KaVir wrote in the 34th comment:
Asylumius said:

I like the box too. I can't be bothered to read through all the logs, but once in a while something interesting catches my eye in the box, and then I'll click the logs link to read what else people are saying about the subject.
04 Jun, 2010, Asylumius wrote in the 35th comment:
KaVir said:
Asylumius said:

I like the box too. I can't be bothered to read through all the logs, but once in a while something interesting catches my eye in the box, and then I'll click the logs link to read what else people are saying about the subject.

What he said.

I hit MudBytes 2-3 times a day (when I'm generally interested in MB at all), and if I see something that peaks my curiosity, I'll click through to the logs. It's convenient and relevant, as far as I'm concerned.

EDIT TO ADD:

I wouldn't mind seeing the box moved to the updates box on the homepage under an IMC tab or maybe the "other" section. I definitely don't care enough one way or the other to actually make that change, but I would find that convenient enough to still use without having to have titty fuck shit appear on our homepage's default view.
04 Jun, 2010, David Haley wrote in the 36th comment:
Well, in that case I would agree with those who want to make it an opt-in feature, so people can use it to pique their curiosity if so inclined. There haven't really been any arguments in favor of having it as the default for everybody (although clearly some people want to either get rid of it or be able to opt out). But because there have been arguments that it might not be appropriate as a default, I prefer the opt-in approach.
04 Jun, 2010, Asylumius wrote in the 37th comment:
My only concern with the opt-in approach is that unless there is some visual clue in the UI of the homepage where it would be, new users and/or users unfamiliar with IMC may not even know it exists. That's probably not great, as I would assume one of it's primary purposes is to make people aware of the fact that IMC exists, what it is, etc. It's basically a marketing piece for IMC, just like a banner or something like that.

If somebody hits MudBytes from a Google search related to MUDs, for example, we want them to notice the IMC box and think, "What's that? It's cool. Maybe I'll investigate that further."
04 Jun, 2010, David Haley wrote in the 38th comment:
If the idea is to grab attention, then put up some interesting excerpt as a teaser for the wondrous, amazing IMC world.

I also don't think we get this particularly large inflow of new users stumbling into IMC from the MB front page, either.
04 Jun, 2010, quixadhal wrote in the 39th comment:
Runter said:
It's just basic decency.

To the Victorians, a woman who didn't wear gloves in public was improper, and an open collar was considered indecent.

I'd rather people (in general, everywhere) grow up and accept that everyone is different, and get over it. Put another way, you are only offended if you CHOOSE to take offense. It's double-insane to be offended by something not directed at you, yet that's what folks seem to do most often.

But, since the world isn't ready to grow up yet, I made my suggestion, for whatever it's worth. :)
04 Jun, 2010, Davion wrote in the 40th comment:
Ya know, IMC has this thing, where when a single user becomes overly vulgar, and annoying people complain, complain and complain. Eventually said person is banned. If you find someone being overly offensive, feel free to contact one of us. Of course, if you're the only one complaining, chances are your words will fall on deaf ears.
20.0/98